Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Holiday rental cars.

Options
  • 27-03-2008 10:24am

Does anyone know if it possible to rent a car in Europe with less than 2 years full licence?

Comments

Damns it! Thanks betafrog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

i have a questions, slightly off topic but relevant..
    if a relative rents a car in a foreign european country,would i be able to drive it?
    im a 23y old with a full license, but had it for less than a year

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

My guess is that if you had an accident the rental company would cancel the insurance with them on the car as you were not the person who hired the car. They could make things ver difficult if you, your passengers or any 3rd parties were injured and needed medical assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

You will have no problem renting a car once you have a full licence, you can say that the issue date is the renewal date (you could have previously had a 1 or 3 year licence). Rental companies have no way to check this.

You do have to sign a waiver to say that you agree to the T&Cs and one of these is that you have your licence at least one year. Basically if you get involved in an accident the insurance may be invalidated leaving you to pay the entire costs.

I rented a car in Germany with Hertz recently with a licence only a few months old.

In short you can rent one but you're breaking the T&Cs and you could potentially be screwed if there is an accident so it mightn't be worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

thanks for that, ye i dont think it ll be worth the risk tbh, might as well wait an year

• Advertisement

Going to Crete in July, hear you can rent Mopeds and Quads, also heard though that during the busy months there a lot stricter on the conditions, i heard something about a ''European drivers license'' was needed and that an Irish one was no good.

Is this true?

Do you need a full license to get one?

I hold a provisional myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Going to Crete in July, hear you can rent Mopeds and Quads, also heard though that during the busy months there a lot stricter on the conditions, i heard something about a ''European drivers license'' was needed and that an Irish one was no good.

Is this true?

Do you need a full license to get one?

I hold a provisional myself!
    1. An Irish Driving licence is a "European Communities Model" licence.

2. An Irish Provisional Licence/Learner Permit is only valid within the Republic of Ireland and is not recognised in any other jurisdiction (including Northern Ireland).

3. Some moped rental companies may turn a blind eye in relation to your licence but think about the consequences should you be stopped by the police or involved in an accident.

Advertisement