Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can I tell which network a number is on

• 27-03-2008 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know of any tool or method to determine the network that a mobile phone number belongs to

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I've been looking online for ya but can't seem to find anything. I do vaugley remember however when number porting first came in that the meteor network had a way of checking to see if a number was with meteor at least or not from the handset, unfortunately I can't remember the correct command now. It was something like *#something#number, something along those lines.

Sorry I can't be of any more help, google doesn't seem to be alot of help with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

are you refering to when your dialing another mobile, and your not sure if their on the same network or not, for the benifit of cheeper/free calls to same net work

i think with o2 they have a thing, if you dial another 086 number, but their on a different network, you hear a type of beep, before the ringing tone

not sure if that answers your question

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭culabula88

Meteor have something if you text the chosen number to 50001 i think, check the website for more information, then they tell you if they are on meteor or not..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Thanks for looking,

I'm just trying to identify numbers to add to my 'Friends' on o2 - they have to be o2 customers. It's hard to distinguish a beep when you don't know what you are listening for ;)
    They could not(or were not willing to) identify the networks when I got the top 10 list from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

irish-stew wrote: »
    i think with o2 they have a thing, if you dial another 086 number, but their on a different network, you hear a type of beep, before the ringing tone

all networks have this 'beep' if you are ringing someone whose number doesnt match the network ie.. if someone with an 086 number is no longer on o2, or someone with an 087 number is no longer on vodafone etc...

you could try dialling a 5 between the prefix and the number i.e. 0871234567 becomes "087-5-1234567". By putting this 5 into the number, it will dial you directly to their voicemail, without their phone ringing. as far as i can remember all 4 networks have different voicemail messages "you have reached the vodafone voicemail of......" (it could just be a matter of determining which is which if they do not mention the network name.)

this, however, will not work if the person you are dialling has changed to their own personal recording.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Elbows

egan007 wrote: »
    Thanks for looking,

I'm just trying to identify numbers to add to my 'Friends' on o2 - they have to be o2 customers. It's hard to distinguish a beep when you don't know what you are listening for ;)
    They could not(or were not willing to) identify the networks when I got the top 10 list from them

o2 cant tell you who those numbers belong to, but should be able to tell you whether or not theyre on o2 or not for the purposes of setting up o2 friends. In fact they can give you 2 lists - your top ten dialled numbers and your top ten on network dialled. Are you sure they didnt just give you the latter? Id check with them again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

If you login to the o2 website and go to: My Account/Recent Calls.
    Here they seem to put a prefix in front of voice calls: 85, 86 or 87. I would assume these identify the current network the number is on.
    I do remember that when I set up my 3 friends for the previous offer that they offered to identify them for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

Sorry, didn't explain it correctly. It shows the 2 digit prefix owned by the operator in front of the number called eg. 850861234567

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭cgarvey

You can tell from the "Dest" column in your call details on My O2. E.g. National, o2 (including 087 ported numbers), Vodafone, UK, etc.

Advertisement