Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the internet killing magic?

Options
  • 27-03-2008 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

The internet is now full of websites and videos of people explaining how to perform magic tricks and feats of illusion.

Years ago, it was hard enough to get a book that explained magic tricks and one of the only ways to learn was apprenticeship of through joining a magic circle/group.

So is the internet ruining magic? Will magicians be reduced to performing only at kids parties in the future, simply because every (wo)man and his/her dog knows how the tricks are done and only toddlers will be amazed?

Or can magic still be entertaining even when people know how the trick is performed? Would you prefer to see magic become restricted once again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It pushes people to come up with new tricks I think. I can't see it killing magic tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

r3nu4l wrote: »
    The internet is now full of websites and videos of people explaining how to perform magic tricks and feats of illusion.

Years ago, it was hard enough to get a book that explained magic tricks and one of the only ways to learn was apprenticeship of through joining a magic circle/group.

So is the internet ruining magic? Will magicians be reduced to performing only at kids parties in the future, simply because every (wo)man and his/her dog knows how the tricks are done and only toddlers will be amazed?

Or can magic still be entertaining even when people know how the trick is performed? Would you prefer to see magic become restricted once again?

I think there's enough people in the world (like me lurking here) who are just enthralled by the effect. I mean I have never seen a magician perform and go woah that guy has supernatural powers. I know there's a trick involved, be it slight of hand, props etc, but I don't care about that I love the effect of the skill of the magician and I'm not that interested in how it's done because I don't have the skill/patience to want to perform it and that is the only reason I can see for wanting to know the mechanics of a trick.
    In a strange way I think it might actually help in some cases. I would imagine the average punter is a lot less impressed by some guy going "I know how he did that" these days because you know he just got it off the internet rather than figuring it out and he'll look like a saddo rather than looking clever.
    Hopefully the first type of person (the one who doesn't have the time nor the inclination to look these things up) still healthily outnumbers the second type.

Think of it this way - I could go and watch a fabulous pianist and in spite of knowing exactly how it's done, I wouldn't be one bit less impressed by the artful effect of the music and the skill of the musician. (Maybe I'm just an old romantic)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

One thing I've found to hold true most of the time is that if people work out how a trick is done they go from being impressed to an attitude of 'Oh! Is that it?'. Most magic consists of knowing just one thing that the audience doesn't. Often that one little thing is so simple and mundane that a spectacular effect that is explained in a few simple words is a massive let down for an onlooker. Many people are impressed by the skill involved but for many others once they know what actually took place, they think they could get up onstage and do the trick themselves.

Not a very nice thing to do, but I was watching a performer before and an audience member piped up in the middle of quite an impressive effect with "I know how you did that, it's easy." or something to that end. The performer then got the guy up on stage and told him to do the trick instead. The guy looked like an idiot when it failed miserably but while very satisfying, it's also a bit mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A good question! I think not, based on that people will still be impressed with the bigger acts but they can now entertain friends with smaller tricks. Even though I know how a trick is done I can still enjoy the performance. And of course the look on the face of someone who doesn't know know the trick :)

Because in short, all magic is trickery. It's just a question of: "How the hell did he do that?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I think you're overestimating the amount of people who actively seek out how tricks work. Most people don't spend huge amounts of time ... or any amount of time .... trying to find out how something works. Some people do obviously, but I don't theink it compares to the amount of people who would have watched shows like the masked magician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Cactus Col wrote: »
    I think you're overestimating the amount of people who actively seek out how tricks work.

Good point! You may be right. As a trained scientist and generally curious person I'm always wondering how different things work so I always assume everyone else does too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

And consider that my interest in magic came form videos I watched on youtube.
    So not only does the internet stir up interest it gives small time magicians wider exsposure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yeah, I don't believe the tricks are actually magic, I appreciate the skill in seeing the deception carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

this is all well and good, however those kids posting reveals on youtube arent magicians. I have a few magic videos on youtube, this is all well and good. but i dont post reveals on youtube. :)

The internet can be a great resource for magicians, im all for it, i just hope that people getting into it respect the efforts gone before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

A point that i've heard before is that the reason Blaine concentrates on stunts these days rather than effects is partly down to the whole youtube thing.

I'd have to agree to an extent - he is really a victim of his own popularity. As soon as he comes up with a new TV special, he would know its only a matter of days before every effect is torn asunder on youtube. And of course, youtube links show up pretty high on google searches - anybody even just curious or looking for a bio would stumble onto reveals easily enough. So it's got to be a big dis-incentive for him...why bother going to the trouble of shooting a new special if his 'fans' are going to have every trick torn apart and posted on the internet within a few days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

no i don't think the internet is killing magic, people know its a show just like pro-wrestling. the go or watch to be entertained, i doubt anybody truly believes the magician is really performing magic.

i have seen the likes of penn and teller and lance burton in person and would love to see copperfield one day but finding out how tricks are done doesn't dilute the fun for me. In fact penn and teller show you how they do some of their tricks on stage, still doesn't mean its any more impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

Yeah Penn and Teller showing how it's done is brilliant. It's also really really funny when someone posts a reveal that's total rubbish like the NLP ones on Derren Brown. Also there's very few reveals of decent tricks P and T bullet catch? You'll never find it! The really good tricks aren't up there.

To me the internet's a huge resource. Video's of people doing the sleights your trying to perfect is a great help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Maybe it'll stop magicians using the same tricks over and over again, and keep their act fresh. I don't think there's anyone over the age of 10 who thinks that there's anything paranormal going on during a magic show...

Alot of magicians (Penn and Teller, James Randi) point out that it's fake..... yet it's still really impressive and entertaining.

Maybe you should check out the paranormal board!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Those guys believe in some crazy sh*t... but I don't think they believe Paul Daniels is capable of anything other than trickery, and oldness!

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Those guys believe in some crazy sh*t... but I don't think they believe Paul Daniels is capable of anything other than trickery, and oldness!

Trust me man there's worse than the guys over in paranormal.
    Me and a friend found a site where everyone was convinced they could do telekinesis.
    Maybe people like this and the other woo woo artists are making our job just that bit easier.

Weren't Houdini and Randi both accused of using psychic powers themselves?
    http://cectic.com/035.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Back on topic lads.

Well given that since the dawn of the internet belief in the paranormal and psychics and stuff increased exponentially. Mostly through online communities and so on.
    This in turn mean that more and more people might be willing to believe that our tricks are because of said power.
    So the internet while also advancing the art of magic (also through online communities) kinda bring us closer to the golden age of magic.
    Simply because some people can't tell the difference between a trick and the supernatural.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

i think the mass public have been over exposed to magic as of late, when i started magic i was a revelation in places

now i can one hand shuffle the deck, do all kinds of fancy cuts swivels and flourishes and it doesnt even catch an eye.

even with tricks its "oh god another found your card trick" i mean i have a few tricks i do on a regular basis which blow people away but by and large i find the general public to not be impressed with magic anymore, and thats before i start the trick, which is largely offputting.

That said ive turned a few of said naysayers into "holy crap what did you do there" heads, so i guess its still possible to fry people, just harder

Card tricks have always really been looked down on, in my experience. It's the mentalism side of things that really gets them, also it's difficult to post reveals!

• Advertisement
Advertisement