Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Brake Problem

Options
  • 27-03-2008 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Alright,

The brake pedal/system on my Peugeot 306 car has lost pressure. While the foot pedal does not go to the floor, it is considerably weaker than in the past.

The brakes pads etc were replaced less than 8000 miles ago and the master cylinder is still full of brake fluid.

Anybody know what the problem could be?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭blackbox

Could be a worn rubber seal in your master cylinder (or worn/scored cylinder)so that fluid is passing for one circuit (dual circuit brakes) but not leaking out.

Could be air bubbles in the brake fluid - this would also indicate a fault unless it got in while some work was being carried out.

I suggest you get it rectified immediately.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Dangerous position to be in. Could be a number of things, but I'd suggest it's probably air in the hydraulic system.

Do not drive the car. The lives of you and and your passengers, and also 3rd parties may be at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

atlasman wrote: »
    Alright,

The brake pedal/system on my Peugeot 306 car has lost pressure. While the foot pedal does not go to the floor, it is considerably weaker than in the past.

The brakes pads etc were replaced less than 8000 miles ago and the master cylinder is still full of brake fluid.

Anybody know what the problem could be?

Thanks for the help.

Have a look over on the forums at http://pug306.net

You may be able to find your answer there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 atlasman

I understand that bleeding the brakes is the solution when air is in the system.

Is this a difficult task to carryout?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Try pumping the brake pedal up and down for a minute or two with the engine running. If the pedal hardens up you have air in the system. Bleeding is easy enough but a mucky job, since you have to lie under the car. You will need a small bottle and a length (about a foot) of rubber tubing and a friend to pump the pedal (and a bottle of brake fluid! - don't be tempted to recycle it)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Air shouldn't just get into the system!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Could be a leak somewhere along the lines. Get the brakes blead and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Check the flexi hoses that run to the calipers - they may be weak and bulging when you apply the brakes, which could be causing the problem. You may also have a lip on the disks which could cause extra pedal travel. The surface of the pads fitted may be different to the previous pads which can cause a difference in pedal 'feel' - but usually not the extent you seem to indicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

kbannon wrote: »
    Air shouldn't just get into the system!

Agreed, but it happens. Low brake fluid level at some time, caused by a slight leak that has gone unnoticed, someone changing pads or disks without due care.....

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

crosstownk wrote: »
    Check the flexi hoses that run to the calipers - they may be weak and bulging when you apply the brakes, which could be causing the problem.QUOTE]

This is an oft-quoted problem and I've seen it in practice, however it's extremely rare on a modern car. The plastic braid on the flexis is incredibly strong and usually will not permit bulging. When the rubber softens the usual result is that it closes up and acts as a one-way valve, causing the affected caliper to partially seize.

It's most likely to be master cylinder wear or air in/fluid out. Forgive my ignorance, but are there discs or drums on the back? If drums then my bet is a leaky rear slave cylinder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement