Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insanity of service charge

Options
  • 27-03-2008 12:30pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I was planning on booking myself and the Gf in a hotel in April for the weekend. Did some research and there was one with "A 10% service charge will be applied to all bills".

What the fcuk is the point in that? If you paying €400 already why do they want to charge you an extra €40. surely your €400 covers the "service".

Rant over :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've heard of Hotels auto adding a 10% service charge (tip) in the price of room service or meals/drinks charged to the room, which I don't mind as it means you don't have to think about it. But are they charging 10% on top of the room cost too? That's a bit much.

Go to a different hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I think the OP is misunderstanding it, what you've said seems more likely (they add 10% to restaurant, bar, etc prices)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

some hotels still add a service charge to the whole cost for reasons best known to themselves. I know of one in Clifden in particular that has this ridiculous condition and for that reason I've not returned to it for 5 years and use other hotels in the locality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

even if its not to the entire bill and just to restaurant/bar prices I hate the notion of 'service charges'. I look at tips as optional extras if I get excellent service. I'm not one of these people who tip automatically (when's the last time your shopping came to between €45-49 in tesco and you told the nice girl serving to 'keep the change'?). I've also noticed that service in places that add an automatic 'service charge' is far worse as they are guaranteed their tip.

Advertisement