Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Overheating engine - Micra

Options
  • 27-03-2008 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

ive a 95 micra
    Since yesterday the thermostat has been in the red

I found there was no water in the radiator and after adding some to the correct level, i fear there could be an air bubble preventing water geting to the engine.

any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

check for coolant leaks while the engine is running, btw you are likely to feck up your car if you are driving around with the thermostat in the red

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Could possibly be an air bubble in the piping network. Run the engine and you should be able to notice where the coolant is getting blocked by feeling the pipes. Follow the pipes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pangeran

I just checked the engine again and found the water i put in last night is all gone.
    I filled it to the correct level again and drove around for 20mins, afterwards, the thermostat was in the red for the last few mins, i check and teh water was all gone again. After filling it again and another 20min drive the thermostat was back in the the normal (black) position mid way, and most of the water was remaining.

hopefully this is the end, put ill keep an eye on it for the next few days.

(Obviously, im a complete beginner when it comes to cars and should really start looking around for an evening car maintenance course or something)
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

pangeran wrote: »
    I just checked the engine again and found the water i put in last night is all gone.
    I filled it to the correct level again and drove around for 20mins, afterwards, the thermostat was in the red for the last few mins, i check and teh water was all gone again. After filling it again and another 20min drive the thermostat was back in the the normal (black) position mid way, and most of the water was remaining.

(Obviously, im a complete beginner when it comes to cars and should really start looking around for an evening car maintenance course or something)

Jesus H .... Think about it .. where is the water going ??

GO TO A MECHANIC !

pangeran wrote: »

Oh god, ok OP you gotta get it to a mechanic. If coolant isnt running to the engine (it sounds like it going somewhere else) then you could blow the engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

couple of months back my thermostat was in the red. I pulled over and checked coolant. Empty! Filled it and left the car to cool for awhile. Drove another bit, thermo rose again so I pulled in and got the car toed to a garage. Turned out my head gasket was gone....

ShayK1 wrote: »
    couple of months back my thermostat was in the red. I pulled over and checked coolant. Empty! Filled it and left the car to cool for awhile. Drove another bit, thermo rose again so I pulled in and got the car toed to a garage. Turned out my head gasket was gone....

Thats the reason OP why you need to get it to a garage. Also if the thermostat is in the red and you are stuck turn on the heater in the car to the hottest. This will draw some of the heat from the engine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Another possibility is that the Water Pump could be leaking. That happened to our '96 one.

The water leaked out where the input shaft went into the pump. It's an easy spot, as the outside of the pump by the input shaft will be wet/damp.

OP, Check the dipstick, and see if there's any water on it. It should be oil only, and the water will be easily spotted, as they don't mix. If there's water on the dipstick, the head gasket's gone and it's probably easier & cheaper to get rid of the car, as the overheating won't have done much help to the engine. The killer is the labour costs!

Advertisement