Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zero-ing sights

Options
  • 27-03-2008 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

This isn't quite troubleshooting but they are technical questions...

I've zeroed plenty of real weapons in the past but never an AEG, what's the best approach to take? My initial thoughts below:

... assume gun is clamped
    1. adjust hop-up to get weapon shooting straight over max effective range
    2. zero "iron sights"
    3. mount and zero red dot sight

As the hop up has to be cancelled for cleaning is there an easy way of "recording" the best hop-up position or is ideal hop-up likely to vary with type of ammo, weather conditions etc?

I presume the position (forwards/backwards) of the red dot sight on the rail would mean the sight would need to be zeroed for each position along the rail I am likely to use it? (I will have as set position but am just curious as it may come off for cleaning etc)

Any n' all help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Crave

In all honesty I don't think there is much point zeroing, especially as you have a clone g36c if i remember correctly. The shots will all have slightly varying direction, so as long as your scope/dot points in the general direction you'd be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

Crave wrote: »
    In all honesty I don't think there is much point zeroing, especially as you have a clone g36c if i remember correctly. The shots will all have slightly varying direction, so as long as your scope/dot points in the general direction you'd be fine.

We got it shooting pretty consistent this morning but the red dot sight seemed to be way off, i'd just like to get it that bit closer to the aiming point.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Crave

well there should be an allen key screw to adjust up/down and another on it to adjust left/right.

Crave wrote: »
    well there should be an allen key screw to adjust up/down and another on it to adjust left/right.

There is, I know how to adjust it, I was just wondering if you should fine tune the hop up first or what effect this has on the zeroing process ... and how you normally deal with having to regularly change the hop-up for cleaning etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Set your eye level with the barrel, to the side of the gun, level with the bb's trajectory and fire, you should see when the bb drops.

Then just keep adding hop til the bb starts swerving up, and back off a little.

You want max range and no upward curl.

After that, just put a few bbs into a box say 20 metres away, zero on the group, do it again, zero on the group again, yekno, just get them lined up.

If you then do the red dot similarly, you'll be fine, they should be looking at a similar point, maybe the red-dot a little above the POI of the irons, as at 20m that would be mid range.

• Advertisement

Motosam wrote: »
    Set your eye level with the barrel, to the side of the gun, level with the bb's trajectory and fire, you should see when the bb drops.
    Then just keep adding hop til the bb starts swerving up, and back off a little.
    You want max range and no upward curl.

Good stuff thanks. I presume you adjust the hop-up in the same fashion before every skirmish?
    Does the hop-up position remain consistent so that you could mark the position on the hop-up dial and return to same point easier?

Advertisement