Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW - 3 series second hand prices after July 2008

Options
  • 27-03-2008 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a 2-3 year old BMW 318i or 320d either in July 2008 or Jan/Feb 2009. I'm looking at the cheapest base ES models.

I know the prices of NEW BMW's under the new VRT rules (thanks again E90) but does anyone have any opinions on s/h prices?

I was also considering importing from the UK in Jan/Feb 2009. If I bring in a 2 year old 320d what rate of VRT applies ... is it old VRT or new VRT.

Thanks in advance ... G23

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Importing a used car after 1st July means that it will be on the new VRT system which will be better for a diesel, check out E92s sticky on rates and savings.

Unfortunately the road tax on imports after 1st July will stay on the existing cc based system despite the Government saying otherwise last November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Thanks for that.

Are you sure about 2-3 year UK imports being subject to the new VRT rules? I've been doing some research on this (see my sig) and I thought pre-2008 cars imported were subject to the Old VRT rules?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cars imported after July 2008 but already registered (abroad) will be subject to the old VRT system.
    http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/News/MainBody,16861,en.htm
    Minister Gormley stated that all new cars registered from 1 July 2008 will have their motor tax rate based on the CO2 emissions level. The new CO2 based system will not apply to the import of pre 2008 cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Wow, not this again...

Your car will get engine size road tax and CO2 VRT if you import it after July.

Gormley doesn't control VRT, only motor tax.

Thanks ... thats the VRT situation cleared up ... 2-3 year old UK imports will still be at old VRT rates.

Anyone have any ideas how the new VRT rules will impact the price on s/h 318i and 320d BMW's after July 08?

Just doing the maths here ... wondering if it would be still cheaper to import or take the benefit of the reduced VRT rules here. (If VRT savings are passed on in s/h vaules that is ...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    Thanks ... thats the VRT situation cleared up ... 2-3 year old UK imports will still be at old VRT rates.

Anyone have any ideas how the new VRT rules will impact the price on s/h 318i and 320d BMW's after July 08?

Just doing the maths here ... wondering if it would be still cheaper to import or take the benefit of the reduced VRT rules here. (If VRT savings are passed on in s/h vaules that is ...)

yes, if you buy on now. if you buy an import after july you'll be paying on the new VRT scheme.

As for second hand values....i'm interested in that myself as I am looking at a s/h 318 at the moment and i'm undecided if it is good value or not - cause it would only be half the price of a brand new (by 3 years and 1 model) 318

Tauren wrote: »
    yes, if you buy one now. if you buy an import after july you'll be paying on the new VRT scheme.

As for second hand values....i'm interested in that myself as I am looking at a s/h 318 at the moment and i'm undecided if it is good value or not - cause it would only be half the price of a brand new (by 3 years and 1 model) 318

This is a bit confusing ... are you saying that 2-3 year old imports will be at the new VRT rates after July 08???!!!?!!!?

Sorry about this ... there seems to be a lot of conflicting info here ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

This is a bit confusing ... are you saying that 2-3 year old imports will be at the new VRT rates after July 08???!!!?!!!?

Sorry about this ... there seems to be a lot of conflicting info here ...

Anything you import after July will be subject to new VRT emission rules

Anything you import after July will be subject to existing engine size based motor tax

kbannon wrote: »
    Cars imported after July 2008 but already registered (abroad) will be subject to the old VRT system.
    http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/News/MainBody,16861,en.htm

That link does not say anything about VRT. Where did you get your info on UK imports and new/old VRT rates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

VRT is changing to CO2 emissions for anything registered in July(new or used). Road tax is only changing for any NEW vehicle registered in or after July(if you have/will be getting a 08 car registered BEFORE July then if the CO2 system reduces your road tax, then you can opt in and change when youb renew your tax after July).

And no, I nor anyone else has a crystal ball as to what will happen with secondhand pricing, but anything that's cheaper to buy new will have to force down the price of used cars(especially if the used cars have higher road tax than the new ones). That stands to reason.

• Advertisement

thats my understanding
    Anything you import after July will be subject to existing engine size based motor tax

Not anything, only pre-08 registered cars, right?

kbannon wrote: »
    Cars imported after July 2008 ... will be subject to the old VRT system.

This is all very confusing ...

This is all very confusing ...

i think kbannon ment Motor Tax, not VRT, as that is what his quote is in refernece to.

This is my understanding of it.

If you buy an 05 318 in th eUK and import it after July, you would pay VRT based on the CO2 emmisions. Your motor tax would be based on the engine size.

If you buy an 05 318 in the UK and import it before July you will pay VRT based on the engine size, same with motor tax.

the story with pre-reg'd 08 imports is a bit more confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

thats my understanding

Not anything, only pre-08 registered cars, right?

Exactly

EVERYTHING registered for the first time in Ireland after 1st July will be under the new VRT regime.

That means 08DXXX that's brand new here, as well as 02DIMPORT that was registered in the UK in 2002 and then brought in and re-registered here after 01/07/08

E92 wrote: »
    VRT is changing to CO2 emissions for anything registered in July(new or used).

Apologies for being stupid here but does this mean a 3 year old BMW 320d imported from the UK will have a VRT rate of 16% applied when registering in ROI after July 08? Or will it still be charged at 30% VRT under existing VRT rules?

/edit/ ... thanks for clearing that up AudiChris ... looks like it'll still be much cheaper to import from the UK after July 08 then ...

copacetic wrote: »
    but he said VRT, you are talking about motor tax. totally different things

making up quotes to make me look foolish is rather mean....

:o:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

i think kbannon ment Motor Tax, not VRT, as that is what his quote is in refernece to.
    Indeed I did. I was doing something else and not thinking properly.
    Its all God's fault anyhow for making me a man and therefore unable to multi-task! :D

Thanks lads ... thats the VRT question sorted.

Now any ideas about second hand 318i and 320d values post-July?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Apologies for being stupid here but does this mean a 3 year old BMW 320d imported from the UK will have a VRT rate of 16% applied when registering in ROI after July 08? Or will it still be charged at 30% VRT under existing VRT rules?

/edit/ ... thanks for clearing that up AudiChris ... looks like it'll still be much cheaper to import from the UK after July 08 then ...

Well thats assuming that the VRO dont alter the OMSP (Ordinary Market Selling Prices) of these more valuable lower tax rate cars, thereby negating any saving to the consumer.

OMSP needs to relate to RRP (less a notional discount), if anything the OMSPs will come down for these cars rather than up.

Advertisement