Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McCain getting a pass on his foreign policy expertise

Options
  • 27-03-2008 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Seems to me McCain is getting a bit of a pass from the media on this, just as Hillary's "experience" is not being challenged

personally I'm worried that Obama or Clinton would pull out of Iraq too soon, but I'm also starting to wonder why people assume McCain has a greater grasp of foreign policy than Obama

Remember the Al Qaeda in Iraq spat between Obama and McCain ? On the central crux of this issue, that the US invasion massively destabilised the region and directly led to the creation of organistaions like Al Qaeda in Iraq, Obama was correct, touche

then there was the disturbing mix up of Shia and Sunni when he was in the Middles East. This is worrying. Anyone who doesn't understand the Shia - Sunni divide can't have a very detailed knowledge of the middle east and its complexities.

Remember the next US President may well face a decision on whether to go to war with Iran or not. And with McCain showing such ignorance is he really qualified to make that call ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I wonder how much can be read into all of these gaffes, not just McCain's.
    Gordon Brown a few weeks back was talking about "Czechoslovakia".:D
    I heard a journalist from Sf Chronicle , I think, on radio, pointing out that is probably one of the longest campaigns in history and the GE still hasn't got going. They've been at it for the best part of two years. So this type of stuff is not at all surprising from any of them(apart from the Clinton re-imagining of history :rolleyes:) and if the US decides not to vote for him on the basis of people they may never have heard of , in a place that a lot would be hard pushed to find on a map, well good luck to them.

McCain has a record that goes back to 87 so there's plenty in there for them to dig at if they want. In that time there was a lot of good stuff, some bad. More recently there was the McCain Detainee Amendment.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,242 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Listen to McCain talk about his Experience: http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertreport/videos.jhtml?videoId=163797

.... seriously people, you guys talk way over my head sometimes :(
    Remember the Al Qaeda in Iraq spat between Obama and McCain ? On the central crux of this issue, that the US invasion massively destabilised the region and directly led to the creation of organistaions like Al Qaeda in Iraq, Obama was correct, touche

see video.

What worries me is that in McCain's statements he is already effictively convicted to keeping the US in Iraq for the next 8 years. He won't pull out until everyone down there is hugging each other like hippies (irony) which will be about five minutes past never.

I worry how much of that foreign experience he totes actually stems from his time as a POW and a marine. I question how much of the politics you actually get to see out in the bushes.

Advertisement