Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Praying for Diabetes

Options
  • 27-03-2008 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

Madeline Neumann, a young girl of just 11 years old has died from diabetic ketoacidosis after her parents choose to pray for her instead of getting her treated for her condition by doctors.
    From here

What consequences do you think allowing this to happen should have? Do you think her siblings should be removed from her parents?
    "They are still in the home, there is no reason to remove them. There is no abuse or signs of abuse that we can see."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I see no reason why children should be removed, tbh while the beliefs of the parents are questionable (at best) they may be (and possibly are) exemplary parents in other ways.

I personally don't believe that when dealing with minors with commonly treatable illnesses the welfare of the child should come before the religious beliefs of the parents and the state/medical professions should step in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

If they had known she had diabetes, and denied her treatment, then that would, IMHO, constitute neglect or cruelty and warrant prosecution or social services intervention.

However, / according to the AP report: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-ap-wi-prayerdeath,1,5890474.storythe condition was undiagnosed - so I guess it depends whether her symptoms were severe enough that they should have realised that something was seriously wrong. Every parent knows what it is to wonder whether a child's sickness is something that warrants getting the doctor in or whether it is just a minor bug.

I also noticed that the parents were not members of any church or faith, so they had no priest or pastor to give them advice in this situation. Most clergy are trained to tell parents in similar circumstances, "Take them to the doctors to make sure everything is OK - and if you want to demonstrate your faith you can be praying on the way there."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

cavedave wrote: »
    What consequences do you think allowing this to happen should have? Do you think her siblings should be removed from her parents?

Yes, and the parents should be prosecuted for child neglect resulting in death.

PDN wrote: »
    However, / according to the AP report: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-ap-wi-prayerdeath,1,5890474.storythe condition was undiagnosed - so I guess it depends whether her symptoms were severe enough that they should have realised that something was seriously wrong.
    The condition was undiagnosed because the parents had not taken their daughter to a doctor since she was 3 years old.

The symptoms of diabetic ketoacidosis include nausea, vomiting, excessive thirst, loss of appetite and weakness. The police suspect that the girl had been suffering from these symptoms for approx 30 days before she died. The parents admit that the girl had been weak and sick for a while and took a turn for the worst two days before she died, but they didn't believe her life was at risk and simply continued to pray for her rather than seeking medical attention, because "healing comes from God"

They say they have nothing against doctors, they just didn't think there was anything wrong with the girl that couldn't be cured through prayer.

http://www.rhinelanderdailynews.com/articles/2008/03/27/ap-state-wi/d8vlb5581.txt

I personally don't believe that when dealing with minors with commonly treatable illnesses the welfare of the child should come before the religious beliefs of the parents and the state/medical professions should step in.

You don't think the welfare of the child should come before the religious beliefs of the parents? Are you serious?

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote: »
    You don't think the welfare of the child should come before the religious beliefs of the parents? Are you serious?

Today would appear to be opposite day for me :)

Want I meant to say was that the childs needs come before their parents beliefs when it deals with life or death treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Wicknight wrote: »
    Yes, and the parents should be prosecuted for child neglect resulting in death.
    Ladies and Gentlemen we have a winner.

And what have you won? Well its this gold plated, handcrafted, beautifully decorated King James Bible!
    {whispers}... What do you mean you don't want it... Athe-what?

The situation is very similar to the Jehovah witness situation earlier this year, does anyone know how that case concluded ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Rev Hellfire The situation is very similar to the Jehovah witness situation earlier this year, does anyone know how that case concluded ?

If you mean the case where the Jehovah witness woman was forced to have a blood transfusion I think it is still before the courts. I support her right to kill herself (assuming you can be sure about the consent). IMHO unless you have the right to do what you want with your own body you basically have no rights.

The case with children is different though because it is not your body you are controlling then.

Is that the one where they refused a blood transfusion? I think the courts said that the doctors we right and the blood transfusion was done. Not 100% sure though.

• Advertisement

If you mean the case where the Jehovah witness woman was forced to have a blood transfusion I think it is still before the courts. I support her right to kill herself (assuming you can be sure about the consent). IMHO unless you have the right to do what you want with your own body you basically have no rights.

The case with children is different though because it is not your body you are controlling then.
    The two are tied in that I believe part of the argument was that mother deserved to be saved since the child had a right to have a mother. ie. the mother can't just kill herself absolving herself of her parental responsibilities due to religion. Although I may be wrong.

addition: By child I mean new born infant.

I support her right to kill herself .
    Suicide is illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Christian parents have to realise that the medical system is one of the means that is presecribed for us. Praying to God does not mean rejecting all help that is in the world that He has created surely?

ie. the mother can't just kill herself absolving herself of her parental responsibilities due to religion.
    That is a fair point. Basically in becoming a parent do you lose your individual rights while your child is a child? In some ways I think you should, for example a father should have to pay child maintenance.

This does seem slightly off the topic of how stupid are parents allowed act for religious reasons that they would not be get away with for any other reasons?

death1234567

Suicide is illegal.
    I do not think it is. And i do not think it should be.
    Since 1993 the act of suicide (the taking of one’s own life with criminal intent) by itself is no longer a crime
    according to here

This does seem slightly off the topic of how stupid are parents allowed act for religious reasons that they would not be get away with for any other reasons?
    To a point I'd agree, its just with respect to the case linked above its similar in that both the religious views of the parent(s) would have been detrimental to the child, alas only in one where they overridden. There the religious rights of the parents where placed secondary to the welfare of the child.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This was posted by pH in Generally Strange, btw.
    But since there's a bit of momentum behind this thread now, all I'll say is:

"Call on God, but row away from the rocks."

Oh, and +1 for prosecuting the parents.

I do not think it is. according to here
    Interesting, thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Dades wrote: »
    Oh, and +1 for prosecuting the parents.

Hell yes, criminal neglect resulting in death.
    It has also been revealed that Leilani Neumann also believes that her dead child would be resurrected.

I hate religion.

EDIT:

This child is now dead because two idiots were told it was ok to believe in magic:
    0_61_032608_madeline.jpg

Zillah wrote: »
    I hate religion.

+1

• Advertisement

I hate religion.
    Me Too
    This child is now dead because two idiots were told it was ok to believe in magic:
    +1 Its a Disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm only out of hospital from a case of DKA and up till the coma its not very pleasant, i would dump any religious belief in a heartbeat to avoid it.
    No normal parent would watch their child die that way, its not quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

kowloon wrote: »
    I'm only out of hospital from a case of DKA and up till the coma its not very pleasant, i would dump any religious belief in a heartbeat to avoid it.
    No normal parent would watch their child die that way, its not quick.
    Religion is poison. Nuff said.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

adamd164 wrote: »
    Religion is poison.
    Maybe when taken on it's own...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

From here

I think the parents are in obvious need of psychiatric treatment.
    Mind you, where do we draw the line? There are plenty of parents of obese children which IMO is also child abuse. Albeit, they may not be praying about it, but they are still neglecting their children.

kowloon

I'm only out of hospital from a case of DKA and up till the coma its not very pleasant

That sounds really nasty. I hope you are getting better now.
    Mind you, where do we draw the line? There are plenty of parents of obese children which IMO is also child abuse. Albeit, they may not be praying about it, but they are still neglecting their children.

Moderate obesity will not kill you until you are quite old. Severe obesity could lead to things like diabetes and there are reports of really young children developing severe conditions due to their obesity. How dangerous do a parents actions need to be before you can force them to take actions to help their children? Do religious people deserve a get out clause for some dangerous actions (circumcision say)?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

I believe in the power of prayer...................in creating more self delusion

http://www.whywontgodhealamputees.com/god5.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Dades wrote: »
    Maybe when taken on it's own...

And certainly when taken without being perscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Moderate obesity will not kill you until you are quite old. Severe obesity could lead to things like diabetes and there are reports of really young children developing severe conditions due to their obesity. How dangerous do a parents actions need to be before you can force them to take actions to help their children? Do religious people deserve a get out clause for some dangerous actions (circumcision say)?

These parents are abusing their chid by setting them up for risks later on in life. As are parents who let their kids do what they want with no disipline-these children are more likely to be offenders later on in life.Parents who beat the c**p out of a kids are also setting their kids up to be child abusers when they have their own kids.

How dangerous indeed do parents actions have to be before we can force them to take actions to help their children? And obviously 'no' would be my answer to religous folk having a get out clause...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Bump!

Finally going to trial:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/21/us/21faith.html?_r=2

This I found particularly chilling:
    Wisconsin law, he noted, exempts a parent or guardian who treats a child with only prayer from being criminally charged with neglecting child welfare laws, but only “as long as a condition is not life threatening.” Kara’s parents, Judge Howard wrote, “were very well aware of her deteriorating medical condition.”

Seriously, there's religious freedom, but using it as a get out clause for all child abuse up to "life threatening" seems way over the top to me.

Advertisement