Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Praying for Diabetes

Options
13»

Comments

JimiTime wrote: »
    As I said, I've no problem with anyone thinking that thats the motivation. As long as the request is honoured, work away.

Just looking over at the thread now, doesn't look like your request is being honoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

MatthewVII wrote: »
    It's not backslappery. .

I beg to differ. But it doesn't matter. Why don't yee just stick to hammering this one out, and let the paralell one do its thing.

JimiTime wrote: »
    I beg to differ. But it doesn't matter. Why don't yee just stick to hammering this one out, and let the paralell one do its thing.

Well an atheist or two has posted in it. But, yah sure I don't care - I've no intentions of posting in it; if you want it all Christian, you're entitled to have it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I've been following the "argument" next door. Jimi seems to have no compunction about coming over to have a little dig, but has little insight to offer in the debate here.

His OP presents the argument that David faced Goliath with nothing but Gods will and defeated him. However, he forgets to note that David actually used a earthly tool (a sling and a stone) to smote the philistine. Just the same as the parents should have used the tools that were available to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

As the person, or I think at least one of the people, who suggested the "Christian Only" feature a while back on Christianity forum, I think people should give Jimi a break.

I don't believe his purpose of starting the thread as CO was to avoid having to discuss "challenging" topics such as Point X is irrelevant cause your god doesn't exist and you are stupid, but even if it was that is perfectly valid to wish to avoid that discussion on some of the Christian threads.

If I am posting on the Half Life forum about whether or not HL1 or HL2 is the best Half Life game it is perfectly reasonable to request that posters who wish to express the opinion that both game are crap and BioShock is miles better, stay away. While I might care other times I don't care for that thread.

The vast majority of Christian posts are not CO, and get their fair share of "Your god doesn't exist and you are stupid" (I make them all the time) style arguments which the regular Christian posters often engage in.

I posted in Jimi's thread and had my post removed by PDN. He PMed me to explain why and it was a perfectly reasonable explanation. If the mods don't stick to the CO rule it becomes a judgement call about how "Christian" the non-Christian post was, how reflective of Christian views it was. And that is in itself a big discussion that can drag the thread off topic.

People are perfectly capable of starting follow on threads to discuss the perceived holes in Christian thinking. But when the thread is specifically about what Christians think, not justifing that to others, you only need Christians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

You've created a monster there Wick. More CO threads, next it'll be a christian only forum, then Boards, then the internet. Where will it end? :)

Wicknight wrote: »
    As the person, or I think at least one of the people, who suggested the "Christian Only" feature a while back on Christianity forum, I think people should give Jimi a break.

I don't believe his purpose of starting the thread as CO was to avoid having to discuss "challenging" topics such as Point X is irrelevant cause your god doesn't exist and you are stupid, but even if it was that is perfectly valid to wish to avoid that discussion on some of the Christian threads.

If I am posting on the Half Life forum about whether or not HL1 or HL2 is the best Half Life game it is perfectly reasonable to request that posters who wish to express the opinion that both game are crap and BioShock is miles better, stay away. While I might care other times I don't care for that thread.

The vast majority of Christian posts are not CO, and get their fair share of "Your god doesn't exist and you are stupid" (I make them all the time) style arguments which the regular Christian posters often engage in.

I posted in Jimi's thread and had my post removed by PDN. He PMed me to explain why and it was a perfectly reasonable explanation. If the mods don't stick to the CO rule it becomes a judgement call about how "Christian" the non-Christian post was, how reflective of Christian views it was. And that is in itself a big discussion that can drag the thread off topic.

People are perfectly capable of starting follow on threads to discuss the perceived holes in Christian thinking. But when the thread is specifically about what Christians think, not justifing that to others, you only need Christians.

Wicknight, my night in shining armour, now there's a surprise:eek::D

I'm actually quite surprised at the amount of noses that seem to be out of joint.

I'll clarify this to those of you who seem to think its some kind of outrage or whatever:pac:

The case in question raises an important point for me as a Christian and I think for other christians too. 'What should we believe about faith'. Now as you can imagine, such a discussion would be fairly pointless if the thread got littered with emotive posters going on about 'murderers', 'animals', 'idiots', 'a child is dead and its your fault' etc. I am certainly not shy about challenging and being challenged, but sometimes, I seek clarity myself from people who I share a common ground with. Now the fact that I am not clear on this particular topic, I seek the various thoughts of the Christians on the forum. I thought it would be clear, that I don't condone the event, nor do I wish to encourage people from not seeking doctors. My point on the thread in question, to other Christians, is, Are Christian churches directly or indirectly causing such things.

Now in hindsight I should probably just explained this. However, I don't like to have to explain myself just because a few people jump the gun or are frustrated that they can't contribute. I set up the thread for a specific reason, and I'm hoping it fulfills my ambition.

Thanking you,
    Jimi.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

studiorat wrote: »
    Where will it end? :)
    Armageddon.

studiorat wrote: »
    You've created a monster there Wick. More CO threads, next it'll be a christian only forum, then Boards, then the internet. Where will it end? :)

That has been going on for a couple of years now. The more recent contributors are just not aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I think this makes them utterly unfit and incapable of being parents, and by merely being in charge of their children they have proven they pose a mortal danger. Their children must be removed at once, and they should be prosecuted for manslaughter. Ignorance of the law, as it were (ie. just plain ignorance) is not an excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Dades wrote: »
    Armageddon.

Or Ragnarok, depending on who you ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

From the Christian only thread, did anybody see this?:
    PDN wrote: »
    I believe God can miraculously sustain people without food, but I still made sure that my daughter ate regularly when she was a kid.

Why do christians eat food so? You could save thousands of €€€ a year by not eating.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Overblood wrote: »

Why do christians eat food so? You could save thousands of €€€ a year by not eating.:pac:

Don't test him, cause he won't do it then...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

You got away light with just an infraction since you are new here.
    Do this again, I will ban you.
    When you quote someone, include the entire quote "I believe God can miraculously sustain people without food, but I still made sure that my daughter ate regularly when she was a kid." I do not appreciate you spinning thing to suit yourself. That quote is totally out of context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Asiaprod wrote: »
    You got away light with just an infraction since you are new here.
    Do this again, I will ban you.
    When you quote someone, include the entire quote "I believe God can miraculously sustain people without food, but I still made sure that my daughter ate regularly when she was a kid." I do not appreciate you spinning thing to suit yourself. That quote is totally out of context.

Sorry. I edited the original post to include the whole sentence.

I still wonder why he/she bothers to eat though.

I still wonder why he/she bothers to eat though.
    I think you need to read that entire thread again, and then I think you will get what the poster was in fact saying. The first part of that quote was a statement of faith, the second part a statement of fact. Or you could ask the OP to explain it to you:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Asiaprod wrote: »
    The first part of that quote was a statement of faith, the second part a statement of fact.

Would it be fair to say that makes the poster internally inconsistent?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think what PDN's post meant was, while God can miraculously make people survive without food, why should he when he has given people the means to feed themselves?
    So, while he could have saved the child from diabetes, he didn't as it was within the parents' means to do so (or at least have it done) themselves.
    Moral of the story; don't expect God to step in and help you directly when he has already helped you by making you capable of helping yourself.

At least that was my interpretation of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

Galvasean wrote: »
    So, while he could have saved the child from diabetes, he didn't as it was within the parents' means to do so (or at least have it done) themselves.
    Moral of the story; don't expect God to step in and help you directly when he has already helped you by making you capable of helping yourself.

I think proving that God was the one who made you capable of helping yourself instead of yourself making you capable of helping yourself is a pretty big ask of the Christians.

Would it be fair to say that makes the poster internally inconsistent?

How would you see it as being internally inconsistent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

MatthewVII wrote: »
    I think proving that God was the one who made you capable of helping yourself instead of yourself making you capable of helping yourself is a pretty big ask of the Christians.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger.

Advertisement