Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Random photo thread v3.0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

If i was the editor of a mag i would look at it this way.

If it's a well known star in the shot then i'd leave it as it is. All the attention will be on them.

If it's just an ad or a small pic added to an article i would have used a thinner tree ( not too much thinner mind ) and a closer crop....i wouldn't give all the empty word space to a pic like that.

4922980360a7785333584l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

IMG_8708___Copy_2_1.jpg

Love that shot! I'm a big fan of messing around with reflections myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

vtec wrote: »
    Some shots i took earlier,.:) both taken in the IFSC area tonight.,

2504252042_9452449f42.jpg

2504258188_2bb26c49cd.jpg

Hey Guys,

Is it possible to take pictures this rich in colour with a bridge camera?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Hey Guys,

Is it possible to take pictures this rich in colour with a bridge camera?

yeah it should be easy enough depending on the camera, i take a few similar shots on a campact too.
    the way i did the above ones was with a long shutter speed, about 8-10 seconds i think and adjust the aperture as needed. it allows a lot more light to get in and gives a nice result.,:) it'll also give the mirror effect on the water too since you dont get the ripples with the longer shutter speeds.,

This one was taken on my compact camera while back, havent used the camera for a while since the battery died, must get a new one actually.
    1655517557_b344c52f4b.jpg

This is another i took tonight,
    2506786803_7cba00ffd5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

First try using the stitch software that came with my 40D!
    4EB0534B4EBD4A0D9F41C252AA1B5974-500.jpg

I've had no internet connection since Sunday so I'm posting two. Went to bed at 9.30pm or so last night to get an early night but woke up at 4am today, damn my internal alarm clock!
    0E480A85B10148098ACCB0F6A0781DA3-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

vtec wrote: »
    yeah it should be easy enough depending on the camera, i take a few similar shots on a campact too.
    the way i did the above ones was with a long shutter speed, about 8-10 seconds i think and adjust the aperture as needed. it allows a lot more light to get in and gives a nice result.,:) it'll also give the mirror effect on the water too since you dont get the ripples with the longer shutter speeds.,

This one was taken on my compact camera while back, havent used the camera for a while since the battery died, must get a new one actually.
    1655517557_b344c52f4b.jpg

This is another i took tonight,
    2506786803_7cba00ffd5.jpg

Thanks vTec. Right I'll that a go this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Dragan wrote: »
    And thank you once again! :D

IvyTheTerrible, i really love the composition in the first shot i have to say.

Thanks Dragan! I have a small back garden and I wanted to make it look like we had a field of Cardamine, without seeing the ugly fences! :)
    The lawnmower is being serviced, so there are plenty of wildflowers to photograph!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

nosedivesig.jpg

I know I know its my dogs

But I just love this shot.

Fajitas! wrote: »

This is what i'm reduced to after my photography obsession has driven away from friends! :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Last night's moon...

2507634369_cb8d4979ce.jpg

Took loads of different exposures and f.stops with my Sigma 70-300, as well as auto and manual focus and still didn't get one as sharp as I'd like (couldn't tell until I uploaded them). Used a tripod and remote shutter too.

I'm wondering is it to do with the lens being soft at 300mm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Le bench

2508905226_68cc7f85b9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

2495157408_94db68e89c.jpg

taken in place called Surin in Thailand about three years ago

Is that Blackrock Barry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Is that Blackrock Barry?

Blackrock first light this morning , going to work , getting a coffe, and a bit of comotion on the bench :)

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote: »
    Blackrock first light this morning , going to work , getting a coffe, and a bit of comotion on the bench :)

Yeah i thought i recognised those two characters from when i did the door of Tonic. They would always be about during the summer.

Very nice shot. I love the tone of your BW work, it's not blocky or edgey and always loads of detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Dades wrote: »
    Last night's moon...

Took loads of different exposures and f.stops with my Sigma 70-300, as well as auto and manual focus and still didn't get one as sharp as I'd like (couldn't tell until I uploaded them). Used a tripod and remote shutter too.

I'm wondering is it to do with the lens being soft at 300mm?

It's probably more likely that you've photographed the movement of the moon (it is a moving object remember!) You probably need a higher ISO and faster shutter speed to stop it down.

The higher the magnification the more movement you'll see - even on my 55-200, after 15 seconds the moon has moved quite a far distance away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I noticed last week that using a custom WB gets you a nice white moon without over exposing it. I had the camera hooked up to the laptop as well so I could zoom right in and get the focus right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

3A8E30AF2ADB4108A646746BBFA573F9-800.jpg

Beautiful shot man. Appeals to my culchie roots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Lovely shot Danny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Mmmmmm had to stop myself licking the screen. I know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow! (Not bikes, hobos, moons or dogs)

Mooncakes - what an age we live in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭mobileblog

2509463200_dd9dabd022.jpg

Roen wrote: »
    Mmmmmm had to stop myself licking the screen. I know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow! (Not bikes, hobos, moons or dogs)
    :(
    Poor moo cow!! :( (or moo bull)

6AAF8985C4F14059A215488FFFF86DA4-500.jpg

Thirdfox wrote: »
    It's probably more likely that you've photographed the movement of the moon (it is a moving object remember!) You probably need a higher ISO and faster shutter speed to stop it down.
    whyulittle wrote: »
    I noticed last week that using a custom WB gets you a nice white moon without over exposing it. I had the camera hooked up to the laptop as well so I could zoom right in and get the focus right.
    Thanks lads!
    I never thought the moon would be moving that fast in the sky. Next time will concentrate on getting the shutter speed down, and might mess with the WB too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Valentia, what lens did you use for that shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Goolay

2502916213_73115c6547.jpg?v=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Cabaal wrote: »
    Valentia, what lens did you use for that shot?

The Canon 100-400L.

Messing around with the Orton effect on some old shots since I haven't got out with the camera in about 2 weeks :(

8741DEACBA4E4B528B3F825CE4F690EC-500.jpg

4F728C93811E4C21B6C8BF003F2E680B-800.jpg

4922980360a7803496186l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Shave? MORE LIKE MURDER!!!!
    I knew it was you all along, I just couldn't prove it until now!

The games up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

IMG_8573.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not posted for reasons of artistic merit, just as a warning to watch where you're going:

p5226779ps7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dink

Dragan,

That reminds me of the opening scenes from Dexter!

Feic Magic, hope you came out of that alright!

Dragan, defo the opening scene from Dexter! :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Feic Magic, hope you came out of that alright
    six stitches, a bit of glue, and a few bruises. a taxi decided to pull in in front of me. i happened to be looking the wrong way at the time.

Awesome, i had just been watching it so that by and large what i was going for!! I imagine eventually i won't be able to excuse replication so much but right now i'm hiding behind the "I'm only learning" barricade! :)

six stitches, a bit of glue, and a few bruises. a taxi decided to pull in in front of me. i happened to be looking the wrong way at the time.

Rough... Hope you're not laid out for too long.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ouch!
    sucks man, I've been lucky on my bike over the years, had close calls but no real issues

too close a shave....
    What did you use for the claret? Or do you bleed for your art? :pac:
    (Very cool, btw)

Dades wrote: »
    What did you use for the claret? Or do you bleed for your art? :pac:
    (Very cool, btw)

Cheers. The blood was actually made using maple syrup, very strong tea ( to keep is a little bit darker than just water ) and red food dye. It holds up really well under a close shot like the above....but it loses the effect from a distance as you can see below. It didn't bother me as all the photos were taken from the "killers perspective" so i was happy enough to bleach things out, darken then, use odd angles as i needed to but for future Blood Shoots i'l be going for gore more than blood. Big and thick and dark and lumpy holds up a lot better with distance.

4922980360a7803496137l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

with all this talk of accidents and blood I thought I'd lighten the mood with this little flower :)

2494959194_567a9c2d9c.jpg

Rough... Hope you're not laid out for too long.
    back in work today, less pain than i could have reasonably hoped to expect.
    i reckon the helmet possibly saved my nose from being broken - there's crush damage on the front of the helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

bored on a rainy afternoon

2518804960_1da65a1d10.jpg?v=0

2514122270_0d09cd181b.jpg?v=0

2518805092_bb1a2196f8.jpg?v=0

• Advertisement

Can't see the second one.

Nice pp'ing - just a bit smudged on some edges.

Good reminders of what summer is all about though :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement