Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Failed Nct-axle And Wishbone Bushes

Options
  • 27-03-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Failed my NCT on item 55
    rear suspension system
    axle and wishbone bushes - reason worn -location offside rear

my car is a ford puma 1.4
    how much should this cost to repair ?
    where should I get it done. Ie ford garage:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

The bushings shouldn't cost too much - labour will probably be the killer.
    Bring it to a ford main dealer and specify they use spurious parts if you want to save in the hands of the professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

land9 wrote: »
    The bushings shouldn't cost too much - labour will probably be the killer.
    Bring it to a ford main dealer and specify they use spurious parts if you want to save in the hands of the professionals.

Why would you do that?

Bring it to an independent garage and use genuine parts, will cost you less in the long run. Spurious bushings don't last as long.
    As for main dealer professionals, I don't think so, not ford anyway. Main dealer labour retes are very high.

The puma is based on the fiesta chassis so any decent garage will be able to fix it for you easily, genuine ford parts are cheap also.

Neil.

Ford dealerships (in my area) charge 45+vat per hour for labour - that isn't bad considering it's a main dealer.

EDIT - spurious bushings don't last long if you buy the cheapest possible, there are quality non-oe alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭B1977

A ford garage in Limerick was charging me €335 to do the fittings including parts.
    whats the best non ford parts to buy or ford parts better ?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

if its the two big main rear axle bushes that need doin thats not too bad aprice there not that simple to do there a bit messy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A main dealer will always be more expensive than an independent but often less skilled IMO.
    I don't know where land9 is but €45 + VAT seems like nothing. There is no mark up on that at all. Most dealers will charge in or around €100 per hour.

kbannon wrote: »
    A main dealer will always be more expensive than an independent but often less skilled IMO.
    I don't know where land9 is but €45 + VAT seems like nothing. There is no mark up on that at all. Most dealers will charge in or around €100 per hour.

Ballina, Co. Mayo - aforementioned Ford dealer also does Volvo, and they feature a cheaper rate @€;43/hour.

The honda dealership I finished up in today has a labour rate of €55+vat/hour - we used to get a lot of dubs down for service work. I don't think any of them were paying 100/hour at their own garages though.

I thought the 100+/hour labour rates were reserved for the likes of BMW and other prestige brands?!

@ B1977 - check at your local motor factors, as different factors will stock different brands. If it comes with no brand name on the packaging (or no packaging), it's cheap - don't use it!

If it is a sub-frame bushing, there is going to be a lot of stripping - that's what's accounting for your bill - did you ask them to break the estimate down to get an idea of the cost for each individual item? You mightn't need to go down the spurious route.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

Get yourself some polyurethane bushes, they'll last longer.

Powerflex are a well known manufacturer.

Advertisement