Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I wait?

• 27-03-2008 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

I've done my BARB test for the British Army and know my job choices and all that jazz. For the last year or so I've been doing weight training and taking protein and creatin and all that in order to aid work outs. Lately I've been running and getting my cardio up. On a treadmill I can only get to around 5:10 out of a preset 6 minute mile, I start to get some breathing issues and have to back off. Usually running at around 14.5. Ok so enough of the fitness thing. Basically I reckon I can pass the fitness test ok. But my big fear (and I mean a BIG fear) is that upon arrival to basic, we'll be made run further for longer with gear and in boots. I would be morally and mentally crushed to have to leave due to an inability to keep up with my squad on more intensive training sessions.

I've been offered a managerial position in galway, I'm back at home right now after a long stint in dublin. Should I take the job there and lay back for the september/october intake, or should I go ahead with my may/june intake but with the dread that I may only be fit enough to pass the entry exam but not be able to run with the pack in basic. Has anyone been in a similar position, in the Irish or British, or any defence forces for that matter.

Thanks

P.S: If this is more of a fitness question then can a mod move it to the fitness forum, I'm not sure where to put it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

maybe get off the treadmill and start running outdoors for a start, it could help alot. Im not in the army but thinking by simple logic and from having friends and familiy in the army surely if you pass the fitness test you are fit enough to TRAIN with them. Why would they pass you if they didnt think you were going to be able. They will bring you to the fitness required eventually. Surely they dont want the finished product when you start your training with them, they want to train you. Correct me if im wrong??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 iwishicould

This isn't a fitness question, this is a psychological question. I thought I'd do **** when I was being tested on my run, but I gave it all and came 3rd out of 20 hopefuls. I guarantee you're not alone in thinking if you're not up for it.
    They will build you up to their standards when you get in, don't worry about that. If you passed the BARB then you're ready to go.
    GO for the May/June intake.

Best of luck mate!

yeah and get off the bleedin treadmill and onto the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭uptherebels

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    I've done my BARB test for the British Army and know my job choices and all that jazz. For the last year or so I've been doing weight training and taking protein and creatin and all that in order to aid work outs. Lately I've been running and getting my cardio up. On a treadmill I can only get to around 5:10 out of a preset 6 minute mile, I start to get some breathing issues and have to back off. Usually running at around 14.5. Ok so enough of the fitness thing. Basically I reckon I can pass the fitness test ok. But my big fear (and I mean a BIG fear) is that upon arrival to basic, we'll be made run further for longer with gear and in boots. I would be morally and mentally crushed to have to leave due to an inability to keep up with my squad on more intensive training sessions.

I've been offered a managerial position in galway, I'm back at home right now after a long stint in dublin. Should I take the job there and lay back for the september/october intake, or should I go ahead with my may/june intake but with the dread that I may only be fit enough to pass the entry exam but not be able to run with the pack in basic. Has anyone been in a similar position, in the Irish or British, or any defence forces for that matter.

Thanks

P.S: If this is more of a fitness question then can a mod move it to the fitness forum, I'm not sure where to put it.
    If I was in your position I would push it back and give myself that extra few months to work on my fitness.you also have to remember that not everyone at RT is going to be a running machine so your probably not going to be the worst of person there.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 steve McQueen

I failed the medical for the Uk army so you can take my opinion or leave it.

But if you pass the initial fitness tests then the army deem you fit enough for training.

Also you should go to this forum .www.mfat.co.uk there are loads of guys talking about training and fitness in preperation for joining theUK forces and they will be able to help you out.

good luck anyway, If I were you Id go as soon as I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

Thanks lads, really appreciate the advice. I'll check out the website too. Getting onto the road tomorrow. See how I get on I guess! :/

And without prying, can I ask what failed you on the medical?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

OP, drop the supplements - very bad news.

Military training is as much about mind strength as physical strength, perhaps more so.

Once you have a reasonable fitness level on entry, the training will do the rest.

Forget Hollywood, only movie soldiers are muscled hunks.

Its more about endurance than strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

I know what your saying, but the amount of posts I've read from guys who are only worried about doing pull ups and the static lift etc, many saying that they can only do around 3??? It just seems a bit lame, fair enough if all eyes and efforts are on your running then more power to ya, it's what im having trouble with! But i dont see the harm in continuing weight training along with cardio and trying to cut my body fat down a bit more. Surely being able to hold my own will only benefit my team right? it's only protein now anyway, never was mad on taking creatine, dont like the idea of my kidneys trying to filter all that ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

ive been talking and researching alot over the past months (i recently passed my fitness test in the PDF) and the impresion i get from reading most posts and to talking to ex army and current army lads is that its all mental, and thinking positive, and not letting things get to you ie just do your job, thats kinda hard to train for, only way you can do that is to force yourself to stick to a particular regime, say a workout routine and stick to it no matter what no exceptions..

and do get off the treadmill! i was doing the same as you, and i was lucky i got off of it in good time before my test cause i tell ya if i just did the treadmill i would have failed

Advertisement