Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tracking Unlocked iPhones

• 27-03-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Apple employees have to sign an agreement saying they will not unlock the phone and the agreement states the following. "Each iPhone can be uniquely identified and tracked via a Phone identification number".
    Is it possible for apple to track unlocked iPhones?

Regan

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Well I'm sure each iPhone has a unique serial number, or possibly they just use the IMEI, I'm sure what they mean is that if an unlocked iPhone turns up somewhere, for e.g. it's sent in for repair, and it turns out that iPhone was sold to an employee then they're in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

Well the phone company has a record of what mobile phone you are using but then I can't see them disclosing your information to apple?

Think you need a court order for that kinda thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Well the phone company has a record of what mobile phone you are using but then I can't see them disclosing your information to apple?

From what I am reading Apple never said they would do anything. And what they state is true, through IMEI phones can be tracked by the operator. By passing IMEI lists to Apple I dont think an operator would be breaking any agreements with customer (it is not customer sensitive information like name, address, CC etc). In fact it may be necessary to work out any financial arrangements that may be in place i.e. they may need to know that the devices were bought in the country they were supposed to be bought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,949 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Reganovski wrote: »
    Hi All,

Apple employees have to sign an agreement saying they will not unlock the phone and the agreement states the following. "Each iPhone can be uniquely identified and tracked via a Phone identification number".
    Is it possible for apple to track unlocked iPhones?

Regan
    Of course every phone can be identified by their unique ID number, but not the locked/unlocked status or it's network/position - I'm thinking they are just scaremongering, and the number they refer to is the IMEI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

They could track the serial number of the device in theory (the iPhone could phone home). Or they could track the IMEI (which can be changed, incidentally).

I'm pretty sure o2 can share IMEI/usage information with Apple (an authorised agent of o2 for the purpose of carrying out their, o2 that is, business). Much like most companies hand over CC details for processing to a 3rd party. I don't see either as being a breach of the DPA, and I'm sure you'll find some reference to that in their T&C. Knowing Apple, they probably have that data as a condition of their contract with o2 (given that they get a chunk of the ongoing subscription).

So, Apple *could* track usage (Hey Joe, where's the iPhone you received free? We don't see it registered with o2 Ireland?), if they wanted to. However, I'd question why they'd be arsed (in the greater scheme of things).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

This post has been deleted.

They would not be in breach of DPA in this scenario. Apple and O2 are jointly involved with the customer as the supplier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Read something about this on another website yesterday. Different text to whats above there but similar thing of tracing iphones. They will not be able to block it as legally afaik its against the law to withhold the unlocking codes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The easiest way out for apple is to create a "flash" in a software update that could render all unauthorised tampered phones useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

The easiest way out for apple is to create a "flash" in a software update that could render all unauthorised tampered phones useless.

Definitely the easiest alright, but they'd face all sorts of backlashes from their customers for that. Too many people have jail-broken phones now. Too many people of high influence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Lets face it here. Apple more than likely are very happy people are buying iphones and unlocking them. They have to keep at&t and o2 etc happy though by trying to lock people out. Remember apple are still getting full price sales for these iphones, and obviously selling to people who don't want or can't avail of the network options.

I can't really see Jobs losing sleep over the fact that they've gained 1/3rd iphone sales due to all those kind hackers :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's possible that they could do something when you're syncing it with iTunes. It doesn't necessarily have to be done over the mobile network.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

which would be completely illegal

The phone is your property Apple have no right to tamper with it in any deliberate way. If a side effect of an update is a bricked phone that is different but if apple deliberately damaged your phone they would be breaking the law.

Same way if toyota came around and smashed up your car because they did not like the engine modification you made ie they cant do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

I don't wanna frighten you with idle conspiracy "theories", but read:
    http://www.infowars.com/articles/bb/iphone_trojan_horse_for_gov_surveillance.htm
    and then check out the many posts on various forums where owners of hacked iphones ring customer care, and before they get a chance to explain their probs, the apple-carers point out politely that a "hacked" iphone such as that used by the caller is not covered by warranty blah blah blah... Don't believe a word...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

GaryCocs wrote: »

Esp if they are not 02:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

su_dios wrote: »
    Lets face it here. Apple more than likely are very happy people are buying iphones and unlocking them. They have to keep at&t and o2 etc happy though by trying to lock people out. Remember apple are still getting full price sales for these iphones, and obviously selling to people who don't want or can't avail of the network options.

I can't really see Jobs losing sleep over the fact that they've gained 1/3rd iphone sales due to all those kind hackers :rolleyes:

AFAICS both AT&T and O2 are also doing very nicely out of it as they sell a lot of the phones that end up unlocked. I got mine from O2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

basquille wrote: »
    ... change your IMEI?

this is not a topic up for discussion on this forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement