Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rangers Jersey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Seen them in Champ Sports, Liffey Valley last time I was there (about 2 months ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Camac Hibs wrote: »
    We need to get out of the pattern in Scotland of recycling religious bigotry through football in each generation.

I'll drink to that... though I see no religious hatred on the side of Celtic fans and I know plenty of Protestant Celtic fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

What sectarian songs were Celtic fans singing???

I suppose it depends on your definition of what sectarian is, to be strict about it even following any football team could be deemed to be sectarian. For the sake of this argument though my definition of sectarian would be something that's anti-Protestant.

Interesting that you've chosen to ignore my long post on sectarianism within Rangers FC, perhaps because you have an agenda???

Just to counter your post here's a Press Release from Celtic from earlier today refuting the media allegations (by the way ALL Celtic fans are well used to negative stories appearing in the run up to a big Celtic game, it happens EVERY single time we have a game, as David Murray (or "Sir" David Murray for those West Brit sycophants on here) Majority owner of Rangers says "I've got 80% of the Scottish media in my pocket.

celtic football club statement
    Newsroom Staff
    FOLLOWING media reports claiming that UEFA has launched an investigation into the behaviour of some supporters during their recent visit to Barcelona, Celtic has released the following statement.

“Celtic Football Club has not been informed of any UEFA investigation concerning our visit to Barcelona and would be surprised if any was to take place.

“Indeed, Celtic supporters have already been praised highly by UEFA for their behaviour and were also applauded by FC Barcelona, the Catalan police, the people of the city and the Catalan media.

“Celtic Football Club states quite clearly that as a club open to all, it stands firmly against all forms of bigotry and sectarianism. This can be seen from the great volume of work which Celtic carries out in this area.

“The club condemns any small minority who choose to indulge in any form of negative or offensive behaviour.

“As a club open to all since 1888, Celtic once again re-iterates its commitment to combatting any form of bigotry or unacceptable conduct."

It can only mean one thing.. it must be a Celtic - Hun game week.. what with all the negative celtic stories in the scottish press as usual!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Can we just leave the history lessons and the footie kit fashion critiques aside? Jeez. :(
    nomadphase wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone have an idea of where to buy a Glasgow Rangers Jersey in Dublin?

Anyway, in answer to the OP, I'm sure I've seen said items in JJB. As someone else pointed out, they did sign some sort of deal with Rangers so it's probably the best place to find one around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What sectarian songs were Celtic fans singing???

I suppose it depends on your definition of what sectarian is, to be strict about it even following any football team could be deemed to be sectarian. For the sake of this argument though my definition of sectarian would be something that's anti-Protestant.

Interesting that you've chosen to ignore my long post on sectarianism within Rangers FC, perhaps because you have an agenda???

Just to counter your post here's a Press Release from Celtic from earlier today refuting the media allegations (by the way ALL Celtic fans are well used to negative stories appearing in the run up to a big Celtic game, it happens EVERY single time we have a game, as David Murray (or "Sir" David Murray for those West Brit sycophants on here) Majority owner of Rangers says "I've got 80% of the Scottish media in my pocket.

celtic football club statement
    Newsroom Staff
    FOLLOWING media reports claiming that UEFA has launched an investigation into the behaviour of some supporters during their recent visit to Barcelona, Celtic has released the following statement.

“Celtic Football Club has not been informed of any UEFA investigation concerning our visit to Barcelona and would be surprised if any was to take place.

“Indeed, Celtic supporters have already been praised highly by UEFA for their behaviour and were also applauded by FC Barcelona, the Catalan police, the people of the city and the Catalan media.

“Celtic Football Club states quite clearly that as a club open to all, it stands firmly against all forms of bigotry and sectarianism. This can be seen from the great volume of work which Celtic carries out in this area.

“The club condemns any small minority who choose to indulge in any form of negative or offensive behaviour.

“As a club open to all since 1888, Celtic once again re-iterates its commitment to combatting any form of bigotry or unacceptable conduct."

Hey, i'm jsut redressing the balance: to say that one club is sectartian and the other isn't is deluding yourself. I was in Landsowne road some years back at a pre-season tournament that featured Celtic fans chanting IRA chants at.... Newcastle fans (?).

I don't deny that the same kinda thing is probably done by Rangers fans - but that's my opinion: They're as bad as each other.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

They're as bad as each other.

No they're not, you have come nowhere near countering the argument that I've put up.

I haven't even touched on songs to d with groups such as the IRA, UFF etc... I have purposely stayed away from them and dealt with religion and with aspects of Rangers which are sectarian. Now if you say that both are as bad as the other I challenge you to prove it, otherwise don't make claims which you've been spoonfed as being the truth, which are wrong and which you cannot back up with evidence when requested to produce it.

Rangers had a sectarian signing policy - Celtic didn't.

Rangers fans sing about "being up to their knees in Fenian blood" - Celtic have never sung anything similar to that.

Rangers players are told not to show religious expression (such as blessing oneself) on the pitch in case their fans go ape - Celtic don't.

Rangers Personnel have had to resign for making anti-Catholics comments and jokes - Celtic have never card what religion anyone is.

Rangers have been admonished by UEFA and FIFA for the behavious of their fans - Celtic are the only club in the world that has won awards from FIFA and UEFA.

Rangers are terrified to sign some from the Republic of Ireland - Celtic don't discriminate based on race or religion, never have, never will.

Rangers fans boo Aiden McGeady/Neil Lennon/Darren O'Dea and any other player born in Ireland because they have a large racist amount of people in their support. - Celtic don't care where any of their players are from.

and on, and on, and on...

You see a bit of a pattern emerging.

Now you prove that Celtic are sectarian as you have stated...

No they're not, you have come nowhere near countering the argument that I've put up.

I haven't even touched on songs to d with groups such as the IRA, UFF etc... I have purposely stayed away from them and dealt with religion and with aspects of Rangers which are sectarian. Now if you say that both are as bad as the other I challenge you to prove it, otherwise don't make claims which you've been spoonfed as being the truth, which are wrong and which you cannot back up with evidence when requested to produce it.

Rangers had a sectarian signing policy - Celtic didn't.

Rangers fans sing about "being up to their knees in Fenian blood" - Celtic have never sung anything similar to that.

Rangers players are told not to show religious expression (such as blessing oneself) on the pitch in case their fans go ape - Celtic don't.

Rangers Personnel have had to resign for making anti-Catholics comments and jokes - Celtic have never card what religion anyone is.

Rangers have been admonished by UEFA and FIFA for the behavious of their fans - Celtic are the only club in the world that has won awards from FIFA and UEFA.

Rangers are terrified to sign some from the Republic of Ireland - Celtic don't discriminate based on race or religion, never have, never will.

Rangers fans boo Aiden McGeady/Neil Lennon/Darren O'Dea and any other player born in Ireland because they have a large racist amount of people in their support. - Celtic don't care where any of their players are from.

and on, and on, and on...

You see a bit of a pattern emerging.

Now you prove that Celtic are sectarian as you have stated...

I belive I just did....? I'll go by my own personal experieicnes (Landsown Road again) thank you. I'm sorry, but Celtic are not innocent in all this!

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I belive I just did....? I'll go by my own personal experieicnes (Landsown Road again) thank you. I'm sorry, but Celtic are not innocent in all this!

Wow, you countered one of my points by saying that Irish fans at Lansdowne Road booed Rangers players.

Tell me, how is that sectarian???

I've seen Man U fans boo Liverpool players, is that sectarian?

Are Ireland fans booing Rangers players because of the players religion or because the club is institutionalised with sectarianism and bigotry? I feel that people should always make a stand against sectarianism and bigotry in whatever way they feel like.

Now maybe you'll deal with all the other points I made or retract your statement.

Wow, you countered one of my points by saying that Irish fans at Lansdowne Road booed Rangers players.

Tell me, how is that sectarian???

I've seen Man U fans boo Liverpool players, is that sectarian?

Are Ireland fans booing Rangers players because of the players religion or because the club is institutionalised with sectarianism and bigotry? I feel that people should always make a stand against sectarianism and bigotry in whatever way they feel like.

Now maybe you'll deal with all the other points I made or retract your statement.

Hey, I'll be the first to admit you've researched it far more than I have - I take your points as valid, which is why I didn't counter them.

But now you're missing my point: Should I ignore all the eveidence of my eyes and my ears and believe ONLY what you tell me?

I have seen Celtic fans act in bigoted/sectarian ways. Seen, not heard or read about. Seen. I've never seen Rangers fans do it but, as I stated above, I take your word for it that they do. I don't know if they're in anyway better or worse.

Are you seriously telling me that "Man U/Liverpool fans booing each other" is on the same level as Rangers/Celtic anamosity?

I didn't make the point about the ex-Rangers fans being booed, so I can;t comment o whether or not this represented bigotry (certainly sounds like ignorance, though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Disco Stu

That's the funniest argument I've heard in a long time...

Rangers fans boo all Celtic players, it has nothing to do with where they come from.... Scott Brown who is a Rangers supporter and Scottish will get his fair share of abuse and boos at the old firm game on Saturday...! I have to agree with you on one thing though, it should be unusual for Celtic fans to boo their own players because they don't care where they are from, although I have heard them do this quite often!!

In the same vain however I'm fairly sure I've heard Celtic fans boo all the Rangers players too!? Even Nacho Novo (who according to an earlier post is a catholic) surely that can't be true, a Celtic fan booing a Catholic player...!!??!!

Anyway, back to the point of the post.... if you are planning on wearing a rangers strip in dublin, temple bar is pretty much the only place you'll be able to get away without too much hassle... most the celtic fans i know here are great lads, brilliant craic for the games but there are a few "scumbags" around too particularly city centre later on with a few drinks who'll just give you grief...!

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Disco Stu wrote: »
    That's the funniest argument I've heard in a long time...

Rangers fans boo all Celtic players, it has nothing to do with where they come from, it would be unusual for the Celtic fans to boo their own players, although I have heard them do this!!

In the same vain however I'm fairly sure I've heard Celtic fans boo all the Rangers players too!?

:rolleyes:

But I'm not just talking about Irish players at Celtic, I'm also talking about Irish players at other Scottish teams. Why are these the players singled out for treatment? What do they all have in common? They are Irish.

Watch for yourself tomorrow, when Celtic have the ball listen out for what players are being booed. Guarantee you that McGeady gets the most abuse of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

McGeady was born in Glasgow, not Ireland.

They boo him because he plays for Celtic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

Time to end this silly debate.

I like Dundee Utd.

Yeh, how do you like me now!:cool:

The half-time scores make a rusty rising
    The crowd are glad of the news
    Warmed by the Bovril and the scoreline
    The Old Firm 1, Dundee 2

andrewie wrote: »

McGeady is Irish.

Shaun Moloney was born in Malaysia but he's Scottish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Out of interest bobbysands81, why do you support Celtic? Do you consider them to be a British club? And how do you feel as (I presume) an Irishman seeing the Irish national flag being used to sell Glasgow Celtic FC?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

McGeady is Irish.

No... he's Scottish, but because of this damn granny rule he plays for Ireland.

You're just digging a deeper hole with your comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Thats ****ing disrespectful to anyone who really has pride in being Irish. McGeady feels Irish, thus he is Irish.

On a side note, I have noticed this with the 'true' Irish-Americans, who are laughed at, even though when asked where are you from, they respond Ireland.

Give anyone with Irish links and who feels Irish a passport. They deserve it.

Liam Miller was born in Scotland(I think), so is he Irish or Scottish?

Oh and yeah they do hate McGeady because he is Irish, and is high profile.

Why else does Hamilton's James McCarthy get booed at away grounds?

Thats ****ing disrespectful to anyone who really has pride in being Irish. McGeady feels Irish, thus he is Irish.

On a side note, I have noticed this with the 'true' Irish-Americans, who are laughed at, even though when asked where are you from, they respond Ireland.

Give anyone with Irish links and who feels Irish a passport. They deserve it.

Liam Miller was born in Scotland(I think), so is he Irish or Scottish?

Oh and yeah they do hate McGeady because he is Irish, and is high profile.

Why else does Hamilton's James McCarthy get booed at away grounds?

Yet Alan O'Brien, Alan Maybury and Ritchie Byrne don't get booed despite also being Irish?
    The fact is, as you well know, McCarthy and McGeady both are booed because they decided not to play international football for the country in which they were born, bred and a product of the underage footballing culture. Whether they're right to play for Ireland, and actually consider themselves Irish, or taking advantage of the infamous "Granny Rule" is another thing, but they are not being booed because they are Irish. If they had chosen to play for Portugal under the same rules they would also be booed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Well Maybury is a Rangers fan, so that might explain it..........

I'm not saying that their refusal to play for Scotland is not the reason someone like McGeady is booed playing Falkirk, but the hatred of McGeady is more intensified because he claims Irish.

I worked with a guy a while back who was youth director in Rangers, and he said the the 'majority' of Rangers fans have no loyalty to Scotland, likewise with the Celtic fans.

I'm not saying a majority of Rangers fans hate Ireland, but the scumbags and arugably the 'loyal fans' do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

deswalsh wrote: »
    I'm so sick of the sight of celtic jerseys - wearing them doesnt mean you're a scumbag,

Unless your parodying scum then it does

• Advertisement

Indeed Maybury is a Rangers fan, in fact he's a Dublin born Protestant, and has spoken numerous times over the sectarian abuse he received growing up because he would openly support Rangers.

Nothing to do with being Irish playing in Scotland.... fans will boo and shout abuse at players they do not like... Aiden McGeady is disliked by Rangers fans (much in the same way Ferguson is by Celtic fans) partly because he is a good player and could change the game (therefore the booing etc would be to try and distract him) and partly, in my opinion, because he chose to play for Ireland because he believed due to the media hype at the time that the national team here would be much stronger than Scotland...

As far as I know James McCarthy has never played against Rangers for Hamilton... therefore your argument at that point doesn't seem to make sense. It would seem to suggest that all the scots hate the irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,193 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

andrewie wrote: »

That is laughable, they boo him because he chose Ireland over Scotland

Disco Stu wrote: »
    in my opinion, because he chose to play for Ireland because he believed due to the media hype at the time that the national team here would be much stronger than Scotland...

How does your opinion reconcile the fact that, as a youngster, he always played for Ireland from the time the SFA pushed him away from playing for Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

They dont boo McGeady, because hes Irish Scotish or because he plays for Celtic.

The boo him because hes Shyte.

Just an opinion.... playing underage doesn't mean anything at the end of the day as it doesn't restrict you from playing elsewhere at senior level... see Giggs..!!

What are you basing your opinion on then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I see the morons have found a little corner to engage in their pointless arguments-can a mod lock this please? The same would happen in soccer or AH. The Dublin forum is one of the better places on boards; I'd like to see it remain so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Lads, lads, the muslims are our enemies now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

snyper wrote: »
    The sectarian decorator.

He was only trying to damp proof the walls of his cell.

. brown was the "in" colour back then

Lol!:pac:

Poor old Bobby Sands...he was my hero in Weight watchers.;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement