Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rangers Jersey

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

BobbySands...

Gavin ''shels'' asked you a question earlier that you still haven't answered.

Why do you support Celtic?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,193 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Why do you support Santry United?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Why do you support Santry United?

What's this Santry United you speak of?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

SantryRed wrote: »
    BobbySands...

Gavin ''shels'' asked you a question earlier that you still haven't answered.

Why do you support Celtic?

I support Celtic because of their cultural, political and historical background in Ireland, Scotland and throughout the world. Very few clubs have a history like Celtic have and without Ireland, and the failure of her politics, there would be no Celtic. The day that Celtic becomes "just a football club" is the day I stop supporting us. "Until the last rebel..." I support Celtic because they represent me. You might support Shels cos they're Irish and your local team but I just don't feel that empathy to any LoI teams.

I make no bones about the fact that I am not a soccer supporter in general, apart from Celtic I have little or no interest in soccer apart from maybe Barca, St. Pauli, Cliftonville and a few other small left wing teams. You are probably a soccer supporter, I'm not.

I did support a League of Ireland team at one stage and didn't miss a home game in more than 2 years but I lost interest in that.

I would love to still have an interest and I used to very much enjoy going to LoI games back in my teenage years.

vote4pedro wrote: »
    Yet Alan O'Brien, Alan Maybury and Ritchie Byrne don't get booed despite also being Irish?
    The fact is, as you well know, McCarthy and McGeady both are booed because they decided not to play international football for the country in which they were born, bred and a product of the underage footballing culture. Whether they're right to play for Ireland, and actually consider themselves Irish, or taking advantage of the infamous "Granny Rule" is another thing, but they are not being booed because they are Irish. If they had chosen to play for Portugal under the same rules they would also be booed.

I don't know about Alan O'Brien but I think Alan Maybury might have got booed even though he claims to be a Rangers fan! Why would Maybury, an Irish Protestant support a team that despise him because he's Irish yet he supports them cos he sees them as a Protestant team? Bit of an oxymoron there... and one might even term Maybury sectarian for following a team that discriminates against Catholics and Irish people.

I could name a heap of other Irish players who haven't played for Celtic who have been booed at Ibrox for the sole reason that they are Irish.

Nice to see all the LoI fans posting here, especially Shels ones. Maybe you guys might be able to tell me why your game against Rangers was not able to take place in Tolka Park???

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    What's this Santry United you speak of?:confused:

sorry I assumed there was a team from Santry who played in red

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I don't know about Alan O'Brien but I think Alan Maybury might have got booed even though he claims to be a Rangers fan! Why would Maybury, an Irish Protestant support a team that despise him because he's Irish yet he supports them cos he sees them as a Protestant team? Bit of an oxymoron there... and one might even term Maybury sectarian for following a team that discriminates against Catholics and Irish people.

I could name a heap of other Irish players who haven't played for Celtic who have been booed at Ibrox for the sole reason that they are Irish.

Nice to see all the LoI fans posting here, especially Shels ones. Maybe you guys might be able to tell me why your game against Rangers was not able to take place in Tolka Park???

This is perhaps unfair, but I'm brginning to think you hate Rangers more than you like Celtic? Is anyone still denying that Rangers fans act in bigotted ways...? Or is anyone still promoting the idea that Celtic fans are angels?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    This is perhaps unfair, but I'm brginning to think you hate Rangers more than you like Celtic? Is anyone still denying that Rangers fans act in bigotted ways...? Or is anyone still promoting the idea that Celtic fans are angels?

I was countering a point put to me which was basically that young James McCarthy and Aiden McGeady are booed because they chose not to play for Ireland not Scotland.

I abhor all forms of racism and sectarianism like any like minded people though some on this thread seem to find it acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

How has this ended up in Dublin City?

Can this discussion on two gigantic, foreign, football brands be moved to another forum?

Dublin already has a team that plays in hoops. :p

I was countering a point put to me which was basically that young James McCarthy and Aiden McGeady are booed because they chose not to play for Ireland not Scotland.

I abhor all forms of racism and sectarianism like any like minded people though some on this thread seem to find it acceptable.

I know, but the point about someone playing Rangers away from Tolka PArk seemed to come out of nowhere. Anyway, I did say I may be being unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

Very few clubs have a history like Celtic have and without Ireland, and the failure of her politics, there would be no Celtic.

May I be cheeky and add "and without Hibernian FC..." in there? ;)

have little or no interest in soccer apart from maybe Barca, St. Pauli, Cliftonville and a few other small left wing teams.

Im sceptical about how much you can say such teams are "left wing". One of Barca's more prominent ultras groups are the Boixos Nois which have a right-wing fascist agenda, Celtic have a unionist blu-labour war criminal as their chairman and St Pauli do a roaring trade in merchandise for a club with supposed anti-capitalist roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

First post on this board but had to say something about this.

Recently my girlf's little brother, who plays for Wexford underage team went to Scotland to a soccer tournament. Before going over they wrote to Celtic explaining where they were coming from and if it wouyld be possible for them to get a tour of the stadium and watch the team train. They were also looking for the possibility of playing a game against one of the Celtic youth teams. They were told 'No', no reasons given, just told no.

They they sent a letter to Rangers asking the same thing and when they went over they got to train on the first team training ground, were introduced to the first team, given jerseys and shorts, shown around the stadium by a former player and had a match against the Youth Team. They were also given tickets to attend a match but couldn't due to the tournament they had to play in. This is hardly the actions of a team that is 'Actively Secterian'.

joey100 wrote: »
    First post on this board but had to say something about this.

Recently my girlf's little brother, who plays for Wexford underage team went to Scotland to a soccer tournament. Before going over they wrote to Celtic explaining where they were coming from and if it wouyld be possible for them to get a tour of the stadium and watch the team train. They were also looking for the possibility of playing a game against one of the Celtic youth teams. They were told 'No', no reasons given, just told no.

They they sent a letter to Rangers asking the same thing and when they went over they got to train on the first team training ground, were introduced to the first team, given jerseys and shorts, shown around the stadium by a former player and had a match against the Youth Team. They were also given tickets to attend a match but couldn't due to the tournament they had to play in. This is hardly the actions of a team that is 'Actively Secterian'.

A fantastic gesture by Rangers.

Now maybe you'll deal with some of the points I've raised previously on this thread.

Nazi Germany gave money to charities, does that excuse their previous actions?

A fantastic gesture by Rangers.

Now maybe you'll deal with some of the points I've raised previously on this thread.

Nazi Germany gave money to charities, does that excuse their previous actions?

Should we still be calling the Germans "Nazis" despite the complete seperation from the ethos by the present day adminstration?

According to the Rangers website, they are actively taking steps to counter any sectartianism activity within the club, and have been praised by UEFA for doing so. You didn't mention this in any of your previous rants. Earlier, you wrote of how much you hate the sectarianism and bigotry of Rangers for their anti Irish stances. Now we see a club trying to dispel any such notions and bridge any anti-Irish gap and eradicate the attidudes you hate and waht do you do? I'd have thought you'd be in favour of such anti-sectarianist measures, but instead you compare them to Nazi Germany.

I go back to my earlier point about you being anti-Rangers full stop. I now realise I wasn't being unfair, I was being bang on. No doubt you'll pull more anti-Rangers stats out of your brain form the recent and not-so-recent past, (which I will neither deny nor counter) but I'm afraid I will find if a bit difficult to accept them as balanced.

Should we still be calling the Germans "Nazis" despite the complete seperation from the ethos by the present day adminstration?

Of course we shouldn't, I wasn't advocating that - perhaps you could point out where you think I was? I was merely stating that one good act does not stop the rot. One good act is a good start though.
    According to the Rangers website, they are actively taking steps to counter any sectartianism activity within the club, and have been praised by UEFA for doing so. You didn't mention this in any of your previous rants. Earlier, you wrote of how much you hate the sectarianism and bigotry of Rangers for their anti Irish stances. Now we see a club trying to dispel any such notions and bridge any anti-Irish gap and eradicate the attidudes you hate and waht do you do? I'd have thought you'd be in favour of such anti-sectarianist measures, but instead you compare them to Nazi Germany.

WOW! You can fair jump to conclusions without backing your points up!!! At no stage do I compare Rangers with Nazi Germany, as already stated the reason I used that reference was not to compare (as is evident from my use of the English language) but to point out that one good action does not make up for years of bad actions... you also must have missed where I gave credit and said "A fantastic gesture by Rangers", of course you didn't mention that in any of your previous rants.

I go back to my earlier point about you being anti-Rangers full stop. I now realise I wasn't being unfair, I was being bang on. No doubt you'll pull more anti-Rangers stats out of your brain form the recent and not-so-recent past, (which I will neither deny nor counter) but I'm afraid I will find if a bit difficult to accept them as balanced.

You are entitled to your opinion but please back it up with proof, which you have not yet done. Your logic is flawed. Everything I have claimed is true, I challenge you to prove otherwise. Eggs Benedict, green straws, Pepperami... you probably wouldn't believe me if I told you the stories behind those three things.

One final thought for you... A few weeks ago security at Ibrox captured a flag by the "Dublin Loyal" Rangers supporters club, it was taken away from them as it was deemed to be offensive as the caption that was on the huge flag was "Dublin Loyal - Behind Enemy Lines", ask yourself why Dublin is deemed to be the enemy for them???

Of course we shouldn't, I wasn't advocating that - perhaps you could point out where you think I was? I was merely stating that one good act does not stop the rot. One good act is a good start though.

WOW! You can fair jump to conclusions without backing your points up!!! At no stage do I compare Rangers with Nazi Germany, as already stated the reason I used that reference was not to compare (as is evident from my use of the English language) but to point out that one good action does not make up for years of bad actions... you also must have missed where I gave credit and said "A fantastic gesture by Rangers", of course you didn't mention that in any of your previous rants.

You are entitled to your opinion but please back it up with proof, which you have not yet done. Your logic is flawed.

One final thought for you... A few weeks ago security at Ibrox captured a flag by the "Dublin Loyal" Rangers supporters club, it was taken away from them as it was deemed to be offensive as the caption that was on the huge flag was "Dublin Loyal - Behind Enemy Lines", ask yourself why Dublin is deemed to be the enemy for them???

Hang on... if you weren't comparing Rangers gesture to the Nazis gesture, why even bring up the nazis?! I accept your point about stopping the rot: it does clarify things. Fair point: I missed the bit about you praising Rangers. It's late - I can offer no better excuse :D and praise wehre praise is due.

And then we're back to the recvent past comments. I can't comment because I wasn't there and have only your side of the story. Can you point in me in the direction of where I'll find the Ibrox side of the story?

I can't comment because I wasn't there and have only your side of the story. Can you point in me in the direction of where I'll find the Ibrox side of the story?

From the horses mouth

I see they have the caption "Behind Enemy Lines" all over the website as well as their white supremacist connonation "We are the People" on their clothing in their shop.

I see they have the caption "Behind Enemy Lines" all over the website as well as their white supremacist connonation "We are the People" on their clothing in their shop.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but that's NOT the Inrox side of the story I requested.

Also, if you continue to refer to "Supremacist" activity, people are going to accuse you of comparing them to nazis.
    From the wesbiteAs we are a RSC in Dublin many would think we would want to shy away from the Protestant/Unionist traditions at Rangers. Far from it, you take those traditions away from Rangers then they cease to be the Institution that Rangers are. In no way does that mean you have to be a Protestant/Unionist to support Rangers, quite frankly we have no idea what religion or political persuasion every member of our RSC is and quite frankly we don’t care, if you are a Ranger that is all that matters,

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but that's NOT the Inrox side of the story I requested.

You obviously do not follow football much if you are expecting a club to explain their actions :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

How in the name of jaysis, is this thread still going?

Because people still post in it?

You obviously do not follow football much if you are expecting a club to explain their actions :confused::confused:

You obviosuly don't know anything about me if you expect me to make a judgement having only heard one side of the story. And if this was an official decision then, yes - I would expect an explanation or press release of some sort. Especiallty from a club whcih seems to take it's anti-sectarianist image very seriously and has been commended by UEFA for doing so.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    How in the name of jaysis, is this thread still going?

....eh. do you mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

''but don’t expect us to apologies for our clubs traditions because you won’t be getting one.''

Idiots.

You obviosuly don't know anything about me if you expect me to make a judgement having only heard one side of the story. And if this was an official decision then, yes - I would expect an explanation or press release of some sort. Especiallty from a club whcih seems to take it's anti-sectarianist image very seriously and has been commended by UEFA for doing so.
    It is up to you when or how you make your judgements. I am sure you can use google and contact RFC yourself to get the side of the story you want. I have provided you a link to the group who had their banner confiscated. Personally, I think RFC are being OTT about confiscating the banner but hey I am a Celtic fan therefore I am the devil incarnate and I obviously have bias.

It is up to you when or how you make your judgements. I am sure you can use google and contact RFC yourself to get the side of the story you want. I have provided you a link to the group who had their banner confiscated. Personally, I think RFC are being OTT about confiscating the banner but hey I am a Celtic fan therefore I am the devil incarnate and I obviously have bias.

True on both counts, methinks. And thanks for the link, btw - curious site nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I support Celtic because of their cultural, political and historical background in Ireland, Scotland and throughout the world. Very few clubs have a history like Celtic have and without Ireland, and the failure of her politics, there would be no Celtic. The day that Celtic becomes "just a football club" is the day I stop supporting us. "Until the last rebel..." I support Celtic because they represent me. You might support Shels cos they're Irish and your local team but I just don't feel that empathy to any LoI teams.

I make no bones about the fact that I am not a soccer supporter in general, apart from Celtic I have little or no interest in soccer apart from maybe Barca, St. Pauli, Cliftonville and a few other small left wing teams. You are probably a soccer supporter, I'm not.

I did support a League of Ireland team at one stage and didn't miss a home game in more than 2 years but I lost interest in that.

I would love to still have an interest and I used to very much enjoy going to LoI games back in my teenage years.

To sum it up you support Celtic because they are "Oirish" or have connections?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I know, but the point about someone playing Rangers away from Tolka PArk seemed to come out of nowhere. Anyway, I did say I may be being unfair.

I not aware of what context the post was in but, the only reason Shels had to play Rangers in Tranmere instead of Tolka Park is because the Gardai claimed they would not have the resources to police a game of such heights.

Geniune Scottish Rangers fans in Dublin = those Irish Celtic supporting muppets and their Nike Air Max would have a field day. Sure just look at when a LoI team plays Linfield.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

True on both counts, methinks. And thanks for the link, btw - curious site nonetheless.

Would you, or anyone else, like to tell me why they think that Noel Hunt is being booed by Rangers fans on TV at the moment?

I won't give my opinion, I'll just pose the question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement