Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Truth about assualt rifles

Options
  • 27-03-2008 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

When reading about our recent restricted stuff could not help get irritated where
    it states that "or rifles that resemble assault rifles" is restricted.

Nice video titled the Truth about assault rifles where Its shown how a a nice wooden looking semi-auto riflle has its stock replaced with a black folding stock with bannna shaped magazine and how people perceptions can be changed by just the "look"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjM9fcEzSJ0&feature=related

~B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

bullets wrote: »
    When reading about our recent restricted stuff could not help get irritated where
    it states that "or rifles that resemble assault rifles" is restricted.

Nice video titled the Truth about assault rifles where Its shown how a a nice wooden looking semi-auto riflle has its stock replaced with a black folding stock with bannna shaped magazine and how people perceptions can be changed by just the "look"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjM9fcEzSJ0&feature=related

~B

interesting vid bullets- reminds me of a trip I went on back in 1986,
    I was sent out to Kentucky for a month on Business and being an avid reader of the guns and ammo mag all my life ,I had read an article about a small company called Harris Engineering who operated out of Barlow in Kentucky and in the article it told how they had began to manufacture the
    "harris bipod". I reckoned it would be high on my list of goodies to buy, so
    I promptly popped in to one of the three local gunshops to buy one, the
    guy behind the counter hadnt heard of them but i had craftily taken the piece from the guns and ammo with me which had the phone number on it, so the guy gets on the phone and orders a few,,couple of days later i go back in and get my bipod along with a set of uncle mikes qd swivels to fit it on with.. job done
    so i arrive back home and one of the first orders of business is to get out my anschutz full stock hornet and fit on the bipod-great job methinks and
    off i go to try it out--so I leave the house to cross the road to an area thats got plenty of bunnies and as i cross the local patrol car comes round the corner--one look at my rifle with it newly grown " legs" and the oul
    avenger screches to a halt.. "what have you got there, IS THAT LEGAL"
    they ask,whilst staring at the 2 offending legs, after producing my licence and explaining the legs story they eventually went on their way not really convinced that i hadnt got a barret light fifty with me..they somehow thought cos it had legs it must be something more sinister than a sporting rifle..exactly what the cop says in the video..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

avenger screches to a halt.. "what have you got there, IS THAT LEGAL"
    they ask,whilst staring at the 2 offending legs, after producing my licence and explaining the legs story they eventually went on their way not really convinced that i hadnt got a barret light fifty with me.

LMAO! Had to laugh at the idea of a Garda asking you if if it was Legal.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bob lee swagger

so converting your ruger 1022 to full auto and putting on a collapsible stock is a bad thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Would sombody PLEASE send that video to the DOJ,the firearms comittee[or whatever it is called],The Garda cheifs and every superintendant in the land .So that the finally understand what sort of Cluster F*K they have built into the upcoming legislation......???They have now techincally made it a legal possibility to own and liscense a select fire weapon in Ireland.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Does everyone have the same issue as me with restricting any firearm on its appearance? Its the same as the pistol grip on a shotgun issue, is the shotgun now more dangerous as it has a pistol grip, or is it simply more dangerous looking because those in the DOJ watch too much american TV?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Would sombody PLEASE send that video to the DOJ,the firearms comittee[or whatever it is called],The Garda cheifs and every superintendant in the land .So that the finally understand what sort of Cluster F*K they have built into the upcoming legislation......???

It might make sense to show them it (or any of the many similar arguments put forward against the various Assault Weapons Bans across the USA).

IMHO, one of the strongest arguments against restricting a firearm on the basis of looks is that there is no such restriction on gun lookalikes. If they were being logically consistent they would either:
    1. Define the restricted category solely on the basis of functional capability.
    2. Define everything that looks like a "scary" gun to be a restricted firearm. (I can imagine how well that would go down with our airsoft community - "Sorry, you can only have an airsoft device if it doesn't look like a real gun")

but as we know, logical consistency and politics are in no way connected. :rolleyes:
    They have now techincally made it a legal possibility to own and liscense a select fire weapon in Ireland.

[I assume you meant impossibility]

Strictly speaking, it isn't impossible. It's just harder. We have yet to see how easy or hard it is to license a restricted firearm, so it's probably best not to declare it impossible until we see how hard it is.

The bit that we have to see how they interpret is:
    [In the opinion of the issuing person, the applicant]
    1. has a good and sufficient reason for requiring such a firearm, and
    2. has demonstrated that the firearm is the only type of weapon that is appropriate for the purpose for which it is required.

(part (ii) in particular)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Nope,I meant possibility.
    Read the part of the definition of restricted rifles... Assault rifles[as explained in the video,, select fire weapons] or assault rifle look a likes. IE semiauto copies of select fire weapons.
    So you now have a situation where the weapon type is mentioned and although difficult to liscense to own.It is a possibility of you liscensing one,if you fulfill the criteria.

as for the airsoft thing...Well guess what?Germany has just brought in legislation on this.The airsoft weapons must be now somthing like 2/3 transparent plastic or 1/3 day glow in color.:eek: Guess German politicos have never heard of black spray paint.:rolleyes:.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Nope,I meant possibility.
    Read the part of the definition of restricted rifles... Assault rifles[as explained in the video,, select fire weapons] or assault rifle look a likes. IE semiauto copies of select fire weapons.
    So you now have a situation where the weapon type is mentioned and although difficult to liscense to own.It is a possibility of you liscensing one,if you fulfill the criteria.

Ah right, sorry for the misunderstanding.
    as for the airsoft thing...Well guess what?Germany has just brought in legislation on this.The airsoft weapons must be now somthing like 2/3 transparent plastic or 1/3 day glow in color.:eek: Guess German politicos have never heard of black spray paint.:rolleyes:.

There's a similar requirement in the USA where airsoft guns have to do one of the following:
    • At least 6mm of the barrel at the muzzle end must be "blaze orange".

OR
    • The device has to be completely translucent so that the internal workings are unmistakeable.

OR
    • The entire exterior has to be coloured white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright blue, bright pink, or bright purple.

I guess the Germans thought it was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Should i be getting that "hello kitty" paintjob on my mossberg so? :D

kowloon wrote: »

:D It might help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

IRLConor wrote: »

There's a similar requirement in the USA where airsoft guns have to do one of the following:

OR
    • The device has to be completely translucent so that the internal workings are unmistakeable.

OR
    • The entire exterior has to be coloured white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright blue, bright pink, or bright purple.

Trouble is that it's just as out of touch as the other restrictions. It falls flat when you realise that people will either spray paint the orange tip black or that people wanting to pass off the real thing as a replica now have an easy peasy way to do so.

The translucent thing has it's merits ut it misses a vital point - that most people wouldnt recognize the internals of a real firearm without a diagram and comparative photography.

I do wonder about that ban on pistol grips etc ... can anyone enlighten me as to the logic behind it (if there is any other than it "makes them look like the ones on tv").

Edit: Apologies if this has been answered a million times already, which I suspect it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

kowloon wrote: »

*Shudder

Trouble is that it's just as out of touch as the other restrictions. It falls flat when you realise that people will either spray paint the orange tip black or that people wanting to pass off the real thing as a replica now have an easy peasy way to do so.

I suspect the purpose of the orange tip is a combination of:
    • Reassuring the great unwashed masses.
    • Allowing those who know to differentiate between a real gun and a replica if some f*ckwit points one at them "jokingly".
    The translucent thing has it's merits ut it misses a vital point - that most people wouldnt recognize the internals of a real firearm without a diagram and comparative photography.

In fairness I have to disagree here. I suspect many members of the public if confronted with a see-through gun will be more likely to say "That's a toy" than "That's a gun".
    I do wonder about that ban on pistol grips etc ... can anyone enlighten me as to the logic behind it (if there is any other than it "makes them look like the ones on tv").

There's no published reason for why that restriction (not ban ;)) is in place. Plenty of speculation though. Have a poke through this thread and this thread and you'll see a few of the guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭doubletap

From reading discussions on line from the States, the orange tip is only required by law for shipment, once it gets to wherever its going the new owner can replace the orange tip with a black one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

IRLConor wrote: »

OR

OR

I'm not sure if airsoft has to have the orange tip, but if it does then that link doesn't include airsoft.
    Firstly, the orange plug must be solid, recessed 6mm (so it must block the barrell),
    and secondly, a paragraph near the top omits BB, pellet. paintball etc that fire a projectile by gas or a spring. I imagine that includes airsoft

Advertisement