Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant left will bills unpaid!!

Options
  • 27-03-2008 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hello,

I've had a bad situation with a tennant that moved into an apartment i let. In the end he just left without notice, didn't pay rent he owed or any of the bills (case still pending with prtb) and its now been released.

The bills were transfered into his name when he first moved in but he had never payed any of them (tv,gas,elec). I've now got letter from 1 of the suppliers saying that if these bills are not paid they will cut of the service to the apt.

I just want to know what is the precedent for this. Do they chase him for the money? Am i obliged to pay it?

Hope someone can answer me!!!

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Did you keep his deposit?

The bills etc. are between him and the supplier as far as I know, they have to chase him for non-payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭paddyman

Yeah but the deposit was just 900 euro (1 months rent), that already well used up and more but thats another story....

I only got the letters yesterday from the apt and seen there threatening to cut of the service to the apt if its not paid. This is my main concern, i know they charge rediculous reconnection charges.

Im going to ring the 3 suplliers tomorrow but just wanted to be informed before i get in contact with them.

I.E will they cut the service to apt even if he is gone and the bill are already registered in the new tenants name.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

They shouldn't do, once its registered in a new tenants name and a reading was given, they shouldn't disconnect, as its a whole new customer.

How are you getting the letters if the bills were in the previous tenant's name?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The suppliers will probably ask you for proof you are the new tenant and will sign a new contract with you. The debts the previous tenant left are for him as an individual, not for the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you are registered with the PRTB, contact them for advice regarding initiating legal proceedings against your ex-tenant for recovering costs.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the bill are between him and the supplier. you need to take your meter readings and phone up the suppliers saying the previous tenat has left and give them the new readings and change the bills back into your name

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

dudara wrote: »
    If you are registered with the PRTB, contact them for advice regarding initiating legal proceedings against your ex-tenant for recovering costs.

the agreement is between the old tenant and the suppliers. It has nothing to do with the new tenant nor do they have any claim against them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

The only way you'd be getting mail from ESB etc looking for money is if the account is in your name. Perhaps you opened one of his letters from the ESB, in which case you would have jeopardised your chances of recovering any money from him as he would be able to make a claim that breached his privacy by opening a letter addressed to him. He owes the ESB and other suppliers all moneys where the bill is addressed directly to him.

Advertisement