Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops in Baile Átha Cliath where one can buy a decent pair of runners

• 27-03-2008 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on shops where I can buy a pair of running shoes. I've run a half-marathon and planning on doing a few more and I'd like to get a shop where they give proper advice on runners by looking at your feet, watching you run on a treadmill etc, i.e. not just your Deborah in Lifestyle sports. Does anyone know of any in the city centre/southside? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Hi, a new store opened on Parnell street recently, runways its called, I haven't been in yet though.

I know there is a company in Dun Laoghaire that do the measurement things and stuff to find your perfect trainer, hopefully someone can give you theire name, or you can search fitness forum, I can't recall there name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭daveyrovers

Think the place you are talking about in Dun Laoghaire is called Grand Stand sports. They are a pretty decent store, do some good rugby stuff and are certainly a lot better than going in to Champion sports or Elverys.

If you are really keen to get proper advice and get the Gait Analysis done. There is a store further out in Bray www.amphibianking.ie that has been discussed many times on this forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53214660#post53214660

It's a proper running store. They use a purpose built track in the shop to measure your Gait. They won't use a Treadmill as this absorbs too much of the impact and people have a different Gait when they run on the Treadmill. The staff member who served me more recently was a 4th year physio student from UCD who runs with IMRA, a keen runner and spent a lot of time with me finding the right shoe for me. I have been into the one in the city centre but they had a poor selection of shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭rdunne

I went to Elvery on Grafton St a few weeks back. the dude in the shop was very good. I told him i had high arches. He got me a few diffferent pairs. I allways go for new balance, but i eneded up with a pair of Nike. They are the best shoes i got in years. So far play to him. My shin spints are a thing of the past. Not as good as the place in Bray , but not bad all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭daveyrovers

Elverys on Grafton street?

If it's the same one I'm thinking of the one on Suffolk street, just round the corner from Grafton street? For years that shop was seen as one of the only proper "sports shops" in Ireland. I think it's an A Class Elverys shop. Generally they employ TCD students who are into sport and when I say into sport I mean they actually play or take part in sport as oppossed to watch Man UTD on the telly. They have a decent stock of Asics Nike and New Balance shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭rdunne

Elverys on Grafton street?

If it's the same one I'm thinking of the one on Suffolk street, just round the corner from Grafton street? For years that shop was seen as one of the only proper "sports shops" in Ireland. I think it's an A Class Elverys shop. Generally they employ TCD students who are into sport and when I say into sport I mean they actually play or take part in sport as oppossed to watch Man UTD on the telly. They have a decent stock of Asics Nike and New Balance shoes.

Sorry Sorry, Its too early for me to be thinking. Yes your right its Suffolk St, and that explains why he knew his stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

If you are really keen to get proper advice and get the Gait Analysis done. There is a store further out in Bray www.amphibianking.ie that has been discussed many times on this forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53214660#post53214660

It's a proper running store. They use a purpose built track in the shop to measure your Gait. They won't use a Treadmill as this absorbs too much of the impact and people have a different Gait when they run on the Treadmill. The staff member who served me more recently was a 4th year physio student from UCD who runs with IMRA, a keen runner and spent a lot of time with me finding the right shoe for me. I have been into the one in the city centre but they had a poor selection of shoes.

Thats the one I meant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Arnott's seem to have a vast selection, Asics in particular, but I've no idea what sort of service/advice you get :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jenc

Arnotts have a pretty good selection. The staff are hit and miss some of them are really good and run themselves but other times I've gone in and I may as well have been in Champion sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭theflash800

Arnotts is where i get get all my runners. Eh but i herad it could be closing down??? But while t's still here i would recommend arnotts... for asics runners anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Arnotts is where i get get all my runners. Eh but i herad it could be closing down??? But while t's still here i would recommend arnotts... for asics runners anyway!

The current Arnotts site is soon to be redeveloped and Arnotts will move up the street to where Debenhams are in the Jervis centre for the duration.

• Advertisement
Advertisement