Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer rights, paid deposit on gym membership - they're demanding the rest...

Options
  • 27-03-2008 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi there,

Quick question....

I went into Fitness Dock Gym on Camden Street in October last year and paid E140 deposit for Gym membership.
    Told them I would pay the other E160 the following week.
    I never paid , never even set foot in the place again in fact.
    I never got a gym membership, not even a gym membership number,
    They called me this morning, six months on , claiming that I owed them E160 and that a debt collection agency would step in if I dont pay up.
    This sounds like crap to me?!!!
    I basically paid the deposit as a promise to them that I would fulfil the rest of the contract, which I understand, but I never got any product or service, nothing in fact!!! I dont understand how I am legally obliged to pay for the rest considering I never got anything from them, I thought thats what a deposit was for, that you lose it should you not pay the rest, which is what happened me!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Did you sign any contracts or see any Terms & Conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In the UK retail law I studied (briefly) a deposit was in itself a contract to purchase. A buyer could be pursued for the balance due on the item, even if they hadnt received it.

Perhaps your gym number was only supposed to issue when you paid the full amount?

And what paperwork do you have, what did you sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi there,

Quick question....

I went into Fitness Dock Gym on Camden Street in October last year and paid E140 deposit for Gym membership.
    Told them I would pay the other E160 the following week.
    I never paid , never even set foot in the place again in fact.
    I never got a gym membership, not even a gym membership number,
    They called me this morning, six months on , claiming that I owed them E160 and that a debt collection agency would step in if I dont pay up.
    This sounds like crap to me?!!!
    I basically paid the deposit as a promise to them that I would fulfil the rest of the contract, which I understand, but I never got any product or service, nothing in fact!!! I dont understand how I am legally obliged to pay for the rest considering I never got anything from them, I thought thats what a deposit was for, that you lose it should you not pay the rest, which is what happened me!!!

If you signed a contract you have to pay up, most people don't use their full gym membership but still have to pay up. If you'd called back in a couple of weeks and said I want to quit you may have gotten away with it, but by not contacting them I'd say you'll have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Almost certain you will have to pay, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

legally you can probably be made to pay it in reality though its not worth their while.

i stopped payin jackie skellies 6months threw the contract and i got 3/4 letters and two phone calls threatening debt collectors that was a year ago and i havnt heard from them since its just not worth their while forget about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Did you sign a contract?

Advertisement