Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to wear under running tights?

• 27-03-2008 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Being relatively new to running and triathlon I've coming across a problem that I hope some of guys here have experienced and overcome. It relates to underwear and ...erm...<blush>... "intimate chafing".

When I started training, after a few kilometers I begin to suffer from chafing on my upper thighs. Solution? Get running tights. Brilliant! No more chafing.

That was ok for a while ....

Now, as my distance and frequency of runs has increased; and particularly where a training session might include pool/bike/run, things can get a little sweaty down there, cotton underwear gets "bunched up" and areas of sensitive skin can get trapped and chafed - usually, but not always, at a seam.

Googling has turned up various discussions on the subject.

Some recommendations were to go commando under the tights but I'm one of those guys that likes a bit of support so that's out.

There were a few discussions where seamless sports briefs were suggested and various other briefs specifically for sports. However, I can't for the life of me find any reference to anything like that in Ireland (let alone Dublin).

Does anyone have any recommendations on the subject? I'd be happy to buy from abroad if anyone has any URLs.

Regards,

Liam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

I suppose you could go with the Under Armour shorts under your tights. You can get them in arnotts and elverys. Nike also do the same type of thing - Nike Pro I think they're called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

I bought a couple of pairs of wick material underwear in my local Dunnes Stores, I think they were labeled activewear or something similar and I find them perfect under my tights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Phil01

Go Commando!!!

Try it at least....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    I bought a couple of pairs of wick material underwear in my local Dunnes Stores, I think they were labeled activewear or something similar and I find them perfect under my tights.

i got the same type in aldi or lidl (cant remember which one ) last year during there usual 2/3 yearly running apparel sale, they are tight so everything is ehh kept in its place and they are a very light wick material so perfect under tights. if the dunnes one are similar go for them
    and just in relation to chaffing bodyglide is supposed to be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

Go commando with plenty of vaseline.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Vaseline or body glide.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 colinryan

Bodyglide (you can get it from irishfit.com) is much better than vaseline, combined with cycling shorts it works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Thanks for the very helpful replies, everyone.

I picked up a pair of UnderArmour boxer shorts at the weekend and tried them out in a swim/bike/run session this morning (this is where I would most frequently experience problems).

I was very comfortable through the bike and run and I'll definitely pick up a few more of these.

Thanks again everyone.

Liam

Advertisement