Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pheasants

Options
  • 27-03-2008 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hello everyone,
    I'm new enough to shooting having my first season gone by and was thinking of getting some pheasants for the land I shoot on.
    If anyone has any advice on buying and releasing pheasants,prices etc, could they please help.

Thanks very much,
    Suttongun

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Ask 10 different people about releasing pheasants and you'll get 10 different answers....all of them right!

You can buy 6 week old chicks and rear them on in a pen. This takes a lot of work and a lot of time.

You can buy adults now from a lot of commercial shoots. These birds have been shot over during the past season and can be bought for about €7 a pop.

I personally was involved in the purchase of 100's of such birds this time last year. They arrived and looked great. We duly released them in different areas using two different methods.

The first was to drop 6 or 7 birds (these were all adult cocks) here and there. Not near roads but way up fields, lanes, woods etc. See pic..
    Release Day March 24th 007.gif

The second was to deposit them in groups of 50 in good cover with feeders.

The end result was a disaster. The pheasants must have been homing birds because there wasn't one to be seen later in the year. I don't know why and it was the first time we tried that. We'll not be doing it again.

We've also over the years gone the route of buying 6 week old chicks, putting them in pens, feeding them, watering them...every night. The survival rate come Nov. 1st was always poor.

We've also gone the route of buying adult cocks from a game farm for delivery in October. This has proved the most successful in terms of birds on the ground come the opening day. Mind you, these birds come in at about €15 a head so it's not cheap.

It all comes down to your own resourses in terms of time and money. Are you going to let out birds for every poacher in the area to come and take.
    Have a look at the NARGC website www.nargc.ie they will have someting there that might help you decide.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭suttongun

Cheers Pull and Bang ,
    that was very helpful and the Nargc site is good too,I like the idea of getting them delivered as it would work out easier oveall.
    Thanks again

Advertisement