Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New home - Snags

• 27-03-2008 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

I bought a new build last year and have had a fair amount of problems.

Need advice on these issues before I go back to the builder as hes awkward.

Extractor fans in upstairs bathroom + ensuite have a draft into the rooms. So much so that the ensuite isnt used at all despite having a radiator as its too cold.

Main living room 16'4 x 13'3 only has 1 radiator. (155cm double radiator)
    It is hard to heat compared to the other rooms. Oil heating can be on for hours in order to try to heat just this room.

Apparently they fitted a "new type" of felt to the roof. Noisy as hell during any type of wind. They trimmed some of it back and it has dropped the noise level but its still there esp during windy conditions.
    Have they done something fundamentally wrong with the felt or is it just a matter of them being more thorough in the trimming.

I'm really starting to worry about other aspects of the house - should I get a professional in to inspect?

Builder has already had to rebuild part of the garage and driveway due to an error. (Dont ask!)

House in N.Ireland btw so is coveted by NHBC warranty.

Many thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

AFAIK the NHBC scheme is the equivalent to the Home Bond scheme here. Basically it would be the structure of the building that is covered only.

Sounds like you have a serious problem with air movement and/or insufficient insulation. What about building control? The inspectors are normally on top of most problems. Have you contacted them yet?

If building control cant help then you do need to engage someone in private practice to give the place the once over.

Advertisement