Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2006 almera squeeky brakes

Options
  • 27-03-2008 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Alright first thing that comes to mind is brake pads. It's not that because the problem isn't every time while driving.

If the car has been sitting a while or the brakes haven't been applied for a while, when i go to press em' there is a strange squeeking noise for maybe 15 seconds then it stops.
    Any idea what it could be? A friend suggested its water on the Brake disks but i'm not sure.
    Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

congo_90 wrote: »
    A friend suggested its water on the Brake disks but i'm not sure.

Sounds like it may be just harmless surface rust on the discs that is rubbing off. This surface rust is quite common if a car has been left lying - even for few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

When i say lying there it could be a max of one day thats about it. The car is used daily.
    The brakes still work fine but the squeek can be annoying at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

congo_90 wrote: »
    the squeek can be annoying at times.

One day is usually not enough to cause surface rust.

Is it a squeak or a grinding noise? If it's a squeak then a smear of copper grease on the back plate of the brake pads may sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

crosstownk wrote: »
    One day is usually not enough to cause surface rust.

Is it a squeak or a grinding noise? If it's a squeak then a smear of copper grease on the back plate of the brake pads may sort it out.

+1

OP, It aint water, any water on the disc would be got rid of while driving or the heat produced when braking would get rid of it. Water gets on pads and discs evey day (well when it rains)

Copper grease should do the trick.

Advertisement