Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs in Apartment...

Options
  • 27-03-2008 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can i complain to anybody? Is it not illegal to be keeping dogs (2) in an apartment on the fourth floor. Im about the burst listening to them, they have not stopped barking in the whole 2 months i have lived in this apartment. I dont just mean a bark here and there, its ALL day long....:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Call the ISPCA if you believe that they are not being treated properly, i.e. not being out in fresh air regularly and being confined in an apartment all the time.

It's cruel to animals to have them cooped up in an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Are the owners within their rights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭RobbieMc

Check this out http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/animal-welfare-and-control/control_of_dogs

You have rights, start to record by video the noise been made by the dogs.
    Complain in writing to the neighbour with specfic times and dates and duration.
    Give the owner a chance to fix the problem.
    Other wise after a reasonable amount of time has passed and you have a record of he barking, seek advice as outlined in the link.

I have two dogs and went through something similiar. I was horrified when it was brought to my attention, but I did appricate the chance to fix it.
    Now my problem has been solved with training of the dogs and the barking has all but stopped, sometimes it will happen but no ware as often as in the past.

I hope this helps,
    Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

RobbieMc wrote: »
    Give the owner a chance to fix the problem.

Yes, Robbie is right.

Maybe my advice is a bit drastic. Given the chance, most people would seek to rememdy such a situation.

Plus, you won't have to get on the wrong side of them at all if you just bring it to their attention.

Thanks Robbie,

The owners go to work as normal 9-5 or whatever and the dogs are left in the apartment, surely this is a matter for ISPCA?

• Advertisement

Do you know what kind of dogs? Very few breeds are suited to apartment living. Sounds like an ISPCA job

Do you know what kind of dogs? Very few breeds are suited to apartment living. Sounds like an ISPCA job

They are small Jack Russell dogs!

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/jackrussellterrier.htm
    The Jack Russell Terrier will do okay in an apartment if it is sufficiently exercised. They are very active indoors and will do best with at least an average-sized yard. If the Jack is kept in an apartment, the dog should have a person home with it during the day unless the dog is crate trained.

from another website
    http://www.ehow.com/how_9971_care-jack-russell.html

Most Jack Russell terriers don't do well in apartments or condominiums. They need more space than that and require a lot of exercise.

They probably shouldnt be barkin all day long - but Im no expert should ask on the pets forum.
    But if it was me I`d probably be ringing the ISPCA - they call and take a look and if they reckon the dogs are looked after they wont take them. Again Im not 100% but that might mean them going on doggy death row

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/jackrussellterrier.htm

from another website
    http://www.ehow.com/how_9971_care-jack-russell.html

Again Im not 100% but that might mean them going on doggy death row

:D At the moment i don't care where they go once i can't hear them, however i wouldn't like to think i had a hand in sentencing two dogs to doggy death row !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Pull out a copy of your lease - everyone that owns an apartment has one.

I would be 99.9% sure that there's a clause in it that says that pets are not allowed in your apartment.

If you are not sure where your lease is, or if you know where your lease is and want to enforce this clause, then ring your Managing Agents and tell them that there are a number of dogs being kept in Apartment No xxx and it's in contravention of the rules.

The dogs will have to go.

• Advertisement

yeah most apartment complexes dont allow dogs, hey they may send them off to relations or something forget I mentioned death row at all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

Imagine keeping two dogs in an apt all day while you were out at work! :eek: Ffs, whatever about the noise, they'd have the place bleedin destroyed. Dogs aren't cats, it's not like they're going to use a litter tray! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Having dogs in the apartment isn't against the law iirc.

Also, if the owner can prove they're being walked sufficiently, along with fed etc, the ISPCA will do nothing.

You'd also want to make 110% sure it's written somewhere by the Management company that animals aren't welcome, otherwise you'll make yourself look like an absolute arsehole.

If it does happen to be in the agreement drawn up by the management, show it to the owner of the dogs and say that they've either got to be fully trained in to stop barking or that you'll have to report them. Give it sufficient time though, because if you do it too quickly you're liable to get lashed back at by the owner.

Oh and if you happen to be renting the apartment from an owner, good luck with it! The management company won't deal with you, the owner of the other apartment more than likely won't want to deal with you (only your landlord), and the depending on the landlord they might not want to deal with it either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I would be 99.9% sure that there's a clause in it that says that pets are not allowed in your apartment.

If you are not sure where your lease is, or if you know where your lease is and want to enforce this clause, then ring your Managing Agents and tell them that there are a number of dogs being kept in Apartment No xxx and it's in contravention of the rules.

The dogs will have to go.

Correct.
    Most normal leases do have a few clauses (i.e. fish or reptiles may be kept) but are normally quite strict regarding cats, dogs or larger creatures.
    If its a tenant its easily rectified (i.e. they move elsewhere) but it can be more problematic for owner occuppiers.

S.

rb_ie wrote: »
    , otherwise you'll make yourself look like an absolute arsehole.

You can ring the ISPCA anonymously !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I live in an apt block. My lease says pets (including dogs) are allowed as long as they are always on a leash in communal areas and do not cause a disturbance to other neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

You can ring the ISPCA anonymously !
    Yeah but if you do the right thing and at least warn them and give them time before doing so, anything further will make it quite obvious who did it.

How? Its an apartment block, anyone could ring! Its their problem letting their dogs bark all day long. Why should the op go to the trouble of warning them let the ispca do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

BC wrote: »
    I live in an apt block. My lease says pets (including dogs) are allowed as long as they are always on a leash in communal areas and do not cause a disturbance to other neighbours.

That's mental!

No pets are allowed in my complex and quite right too. I can't think of anything worse for a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

IanCurtis wrote: »
    That's mental!

No pets are allowed in my complex and quite right too. I can't think of anything worse for a dog.

Pets are allowed in my apartment complex, but the rules say they have to go if they cause any disturbance to your neighbours.

I foster kittens from time to time and nobody has complained about them yet. I'm having trouble with one of my neighbours at the minute, hope she doesnt find out about the kitties cos she's getting quite petty... I'm sure she'd love to report me over them! I wouldnt feel right keeping a dog inside all day though, or even an adult cat either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement