Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor bike flat battery - jump leads from a car?

Options
  • 27-03-2008 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Will it nuke the bike? Diff voltage?

I didnt start the bike in ages, is a good battery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

If your bike has a 12 volt system it should be OK. No need to have the car running if the car battery is sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

9 volt I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

hedgeh0g wrote: »
    9 volt I think
    :confused:

Fine if it is 12volt, some older bikes and scooters are 6volt. just make sure your poles ie colour codes are correct or you could have an nasty short and fry the electronics in the bike.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Bump start it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Maplin sell battery chargers. One for cars only is about €60, and one for cars and bikes around €95. Chances are the likes of Halfords or Argos do them too.

Not sure about jumping off a car, but, as Henry said, try a bump start.

• Advertisement

Fey! wrote: »
    Maplin sell battery chargers. One for cars only is about €60, and one for cars and bikes around €95. Chances are the likes of Halfords or Argos do them too. Not sure about jumping off a car, but, as Henry said, try a bump start.
    They are fine if you are willing to wait a couple of days for it to charge :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Bump starting used to work for me when my battery was flat.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Bump starting used to work for me when my battery was flat.
    Try bump starting an XT600 single :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

9 volt I think
    Never heard of a 9 volt system on any sort of vehicle.
    The vast majority of motorbikes in the last few decades are 12 volt, as far as I know.
    What make/model bike are we talking about here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

what ya want is a trickle charger, there around e20~e30, they were sellin them in lidl or aldi about 2 weeks ago, there maybe some left.
    i bought one in there last year and it does the job perfectly.
    if all else fails you can try and jump start it, drive around for awhile and hope that charges the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Deliberator

Some older / smaller bikes were 6 volt, but most are now 12 volt. If it is 12 volt there is no problem using jump leads with a car. Google the make/model to check the voltage...

You would also want to be careful not to burn out the starter motor in the bike, If it fails to start after a few attempts give it a break for about 1/2 hour, check for other possible faults such as fuel starvation, whether its getting a spark etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

OP, look at the battery and post back here what voltage it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Make sure the car is not running or you may fry the bikes loom

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I didnt start the bike in ages, is a good battery.

.........er, if it is, and it's been idle for ages, it may be useless now.......bike batteries are notorious for being just-about the right size. It takes very little to kill them........

Oh, and don't use a car charger if you want to charge it - it'll kill it. Never charge at more than 10% of it's capacity - in most bikes, you're looking at 1amp chargers.

You can get chargers from Europower in Dublin 01-8300884 (Dennis) - they're listed on here: http://www.bannerbatteries.com/banner/files/FolderBatteriezubehoerGB.pdf It's the Accugard Bike (900mA) - I have them for years, and they're great. I have all the bikes with a charge lead on them. They cost Eur 52.00 incl VAT.

They do car versions too - 1800mA - and I've them on all the non-moving cars as well.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

the cold weather knackers em too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Wossack wrote: »
    the cold weather knackers em too

+1

And alarms/immobilisers etc

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement