Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cardiff City UEFA Cup

• 27-03-2008 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, how can the situation with Cardiff City and UEFA Cup qualification through the FA Cup be justified?
    Have Derry City not represented Ireland in this competition before? :confused:
    Surely a precedent for this has been established if they have.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Derry are governed by the FAI and play in an FAI competition.

Cardif play in FA competitions; but are governed by the FAW - that is the BIG difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Also it is entirely the choice of the Football Association who they nominate for the european positions, they can nominate whoever they want strangely enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ah right I see now. Strange that they can decide who gets nominated. Could be a way of keeping the Abramobics etc in check i suppose :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Cardiff tried to enter the welsh cup with their reserve side and win it and get into the UEFA Cup, Ridsdale also wanted a reserve side in their league and when they got into Europe field a full team. so i kinda not feeling any sympathy for them.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Cardiff tried to enter the welsh cup with their reserve side and win it and get into the UEFA Cup, Ridsdale also wanted a reserve side in their league and when they got into Europe field a full team. so i kinda not feeling any sympathy for them.

kdjac

Well in fairness, if they are barred from getting in through English competitions, they may aswell try by another route.

I'm sure if Pat's could get into the CL by similar means you'd be ok with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

They represented Wales before in Europe so its only right that they can't enter through an English competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

No sympathy for Cardiff on this one.

They KNEW when they entered the FA Cup that they couldn't qualify for Europe.

Now they are just being whingey bitches about it.

Similar to another club a few years ago, who knew the rules in a certain competition but started crying and had the rules changed.

Oh, and Ste. Pats were in Europe last season on a tech-ni-cal-i-ty.

He loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If they win it, I'm sure EUFA will find a way of getting them into europe.

Still, it ain't gonna happen ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

The technical answer is that Cardiff, Wrexham and Swansea have 'affiliate' membership of the EFA. As such, they remain Welsh teams who happen to play in Englich competition.

The legal argument is whether European qualification is a prize of winning the cup or not. All associations have discretion over who they award places to (Shels not entering the CL last year springs to mind despite being champions).

So while its farcical to have affiliate teams, Cardiff have no leg to stand on legally. I think the EFA will let them play if it comes to it, but its at their discretion.

• Advertisement

Shels not entering the CL last year springs to mind despite being champions).
    The FAI never took that off us. We pulled out ourselves.

http://shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=609

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The technical answer is that Cardiff, Wrexham and Swansea have 'affiliate' membership of the EFA. As such, they remain Welsh teams who happen to play in Englich competition.

It's the FA, there's no E.

DesF wrote: »
    The FAI never took that off us. We pulled out ourselves.

http://shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=609

Sorry, should have phrased it better.

The point I was making is that the FAI then nominated someone. There is no automatic entitlement for league or cup winners to their Euro places.

It's the FA, there's no E.

On an Irish board I don't think its unreasonable to distinguish what foreign association we are discussing. For clarity its the English FA, or EFA as far as I am concerned. The Football Association in an Irish context could just as easily mean the FAI or IFA.

On an Irish board I don't think its unreasonable to distinguish what foreign association we are discussing. For clarity its the English FA, or EFA as far as I am concerned. The Football Association in an Irish context could just as easily mean the FAI or IFA.

And football could just as easily mean Gaelic Football in an Irish context.

Let's not assume we're posting for imbeciles, shall we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Are you comparing the FAI to the Irish Farmers Association, I know the farmer would be highly insulted with that comparison.

Gaelic Football
    Noelie wrote: »
    Irish Farmers Association

Nice.

That's fairly offensive dude.

Noted, edited.

Apologies.

And football could just as easily mean Gaelic Football in an Irish context.

Exactly my point. When you say the Government its assumed you mean the Irish one unless you clarify otherwise. When you say the football authorities it should be assumed you mean the Irish ones unless you clarify otherwise.

But thankfully we are on the civilised side of the boards and no-one on here discusses that horrific bigoted debacle that is bogball.
    Let's not assume we're posting for mongloids, shall we?

I would love to, but the amount of 'us' and 'we' posts in reference to teams from cities people have never been to, let alone caught a game in does lead me to question cop on levels at times.

So its easier to be clear - if you are referring to a foreign football authority, you should specify which one.

• Advertisement

So its easier to be clear - if you are referring to a foreign football authority, you should specify which one.

I agree, but I'd suggest you refer to them by their official titles to avoid any confusion whatsoever.

The Football Association = The FA.

The Egyptian Football Association = The EFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I was going to suggest the English FA be referred to as the doddery old farts who know feck all about football or being a football fan.........but that probably doesn't help distinguish them to be honest:D

Similar to another club a few years ago, who knew the rules in a certain competition but started crying and had the rules changed.

Are we refering to LIverpool here? Precident (in Spain) was on Liverpool's side.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Are we refering to LIverpool here? Precident (in Spain) was on Liverpool's side.

erm, no. You have that wrong i think.

In Liverpools case the rules were changed - a 5th CL spot was created for them by Uefa.

In Spain, Zaragoza were put into the Uefa Cup by their own FA (with monetary compensation)

The way Liverpool and Real made the CL despite not qualifying is different.

Tauren wrote: »
    erm, no. You have that wrong i think.

In Liverpools case the rules were changed - a 5th CL spot was created for them by Uefa.

In Spain, Zaragoza were put into the Uefa Cup by their own FA (with monetary compensation)

The way Liverpool and Real made the CL despite not qualifying is different.

Exactly. The rules were changed because the FA were spineless and wouldnt do what they should have done (the same as happened in Spain). What I meant was that the precident was there for the FA to put Everton into the UC and give Liverpool the 4th spot in the CL. Should have worded it better.

I think that the way the rule is now (winners get preference over 4th spot) kind of validates the way the decision should have went in the first place.

As it turns out, Everton would have been better off going straight into the UC in the first place.:)

Exactly. The rules were changed because the FA were spineless and wouldnt do what they hsoudl have done (the same as happened in Spain)

So what the FA should have done is gone back on their word and against the rules and procedures as laid out at the start of that season?:rolleyes:

At the start of the season it is known that 1 to 4 get the CL spots - that should not be changed at any point during the season simply to better suit one side.

So what the FA should have done is gone back on their word and against the rules and procedures as laid out at the start of that season?:rolleyes:

At the start of the season it is known that 1 to 4 get the CL spots - that should not be changed at any point during the season simply to better suit one side.
    +1

It was never set in stone. It was always just put forward that the top 4 got the spots. The FA could put the 3 relegated teams and the winners of league 2 into it if they want.

The rules were changed because the FA were spineless and wouldnt do what they should have done
    It was never set in stone. It was always just put forward that the top 4 got the spots. The FA could put the 3 relegated teams and the winners of league 2 into it if they want.
    So, either there were rules, or not.

Which is it?

• Advertisement

Yes, they could, i do not deny that - but not until the season is over and not retrospectively to the season just gone.

If Liveprool got 4th spot this season, but the FA turned round and said: screw it, the FA Cup winner is getting the 4th spot - you'd be ok with that?

So, either there were rules, or not.

Which is it?

As far as I'm aware they have now specified the criteria. I could well be wrong. but winning the CL definately takes the 4th qualification spot (and a place in the group stages)

If Liveprool got 4th spot this season, but the FA turned round and said: screw it, the FA Cup winner is getting the 4th spot - you'd be ok with that?

Firstly it's When Liverpool finish 4th. :)

and no, I wouldnt be ok with it but hey, my opinions dont hold my weight with the FA. If they did I'd find a reason to have the required number of points deducted by any teams that finish above Liverpool in the league each season. (hey if they can get away with it in Italy......)

Advertisement