Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Tree

Options
  • 27-03-2008 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi there.
    Myself and Mrs Chappy are the proud parents of a beautiful baby girl and we would like to mark the occasion by planting a tree.
    I know this may not be the best time of year but I would ideally like something indigenous and that flowers early spring. Maybe naive on both counts but glad of all wisdom.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭blackbox

It's a good time for planting. How about a Gean - native flowering cherry - white flowers in Spring.

Unfortunately I don't know where you could buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hierro

To be honest, you might be let down by the brief flowering period enjoyed by the Glean. That said I'm no horticulturist....

here's an interesting link. http://www.rfs.org.uk/. It's UK based but very informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

hierro wrote: »
    To be honest, you might be let down by the brief flowering period enjoyed by the Glean. That said I'm no horticulturist....

Good choice hierro, but don't know where you got that bit about the flowering.
    "The 5-petalled white blossoms are long-lasting throughout April and May, followed by the fruits in July, which resemble delicious dark red cherries"
    Taken from... Irish Native Wild Cherry (Prunus avium) Bird Cherry (Prunus padus)
    A nice native no doubt, the only issues I would have with it are its eventual size (will easily reach 12mtrs x 12mtrs), and the fact that it may not flower at the time the child was born. Most parents prefer a symbolic tree to start flowering as close as possible to the childs birthday. I presume Happy Chappy jr is with us already. :)

Of the Irish natives (trees and shrubs) exhibiting colour in March, you have....

Blackthorn tree ... Prunus spinosa ... Draigean

Goat Willow ... Salix caprea ... Saileach Dubh

Irish native Hazel ... Corylus avellana .. An Coll
    She is not called Hazel by any chance Happy Chappy. :)

All these plants have something going for them and something against them, so a bit of reading is required.

Personally a cluster of hazel trees/shrubs would be of great interest to the child as she grows up. I find with children, that trees you can eat things from can act as a great introduction into horticulture.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

My Parents planted a rose called "Irish eyes", but thats more of a summer thing.

regards

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

You could plant a native apple tree. The blossom will give you something in spring time (not quite this early, depending on where you are!) and as an added bonus you will have the fruit in autumn! They are a lovely looking tree and can be bought on small or large root stock, depending on the size of your garden. Seed /savers are good for advice on what native variety would suit you and they supply them too. hth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hierro

Good choice hierro, but don't know where you got that bit about the flowering.
    "The 5-petalled white blossoms are long-lasting throughout April and May, followed by the fruits in July, which resemble delicious dark red cherries"

Well, perhaps I have it mixed up with some other variety? The three of four trees next door are only in full bloom for two weeks at the max. That said, they are exposed.

BTW I like the idea of fruit trees. It is even fascinating for adults to enjoy to fruit of a tree you grow and nurture... It brings me back to visiting my grandparents, going home with a bag of plums.... and the tummy ache after...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Happy Chappy

Thank you all.
    I love the idea of using the fruit from the tree as an introduction to horticulture.
    Stupid Question Number 1) Would two Hazel trees in close proximity suffice for pollination?
    Stupid Question Number 2) Should I check my soil Ph before going any further?
    Stupid Question Number 3) What does it matter that the apple trees are now in pots and not "bare rooted"? Can I still plant now?

Advertisement