Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Keep or dump Freelander?

Options
  • 27-03-2008 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

Mate of mine has a 2001 Land Rover Freelander. He's had a good bit of trouble since he got it last september. It's the 1.8 petrol model, had the engine replaced two years ago and last september he had to get the whole imobiliser unit replaced. The thing is giving grief again and the garage here is saying it needs a new engine. The average price for one of these is about €9000 and to get the work done is €2500. I'd say it's going to keep letting him down. So should he fix it and keep it, fix it and sell it or just trade it in as it is at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Get rid of it ASAP. They are a disaster.
    There is one in the garage I work and it also needs a new engine.
    Very unreliable. Alot of people get rid of the driveshaft to avoid having future problems with the rear diff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

So should he just trade it in then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

FX Meister wrote: »
    So should he just trade it in then?
    In the morning if possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

1.8 models aren't worth anything near €9k.

I was going by the prices for the 1.8 petrol on car buyers guide. That's what they are asking, I don't know if they are getting it.

• Advertisement

If you were trading in with me, I'd be offering €6k if the car didn't need an engine.

He's gonna trade it in, I'll let you know how much he gets for it. Think he's going for a V40 or V70, any opinions on these? I've heard the V40 and Focus share a chasis, is there much more of a quality difference between the two, enough to justify the price difference?

AFAIK the S40 shares the Focus platform, I think the V50 is the estate equivelant.

Advertisement