Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi s4 tdi?

Options
  • 27-03-2008 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi there,

Just looking for a bit of clarification about the audi s4. As far as I was aware these were only petrol engines? Did audi do some sort of performance diesel engine too? I ask because as I was pulling away from the m4 toll heading west this evening (in a wee bit of a hurry!) I noticed that a nicely kitted a4 was moving fairly quickly inside me. Once I got up to my required speed he kept going (english reg) and I saw an s4 badge on the boot but on the other side was a tdi badge.

It was a nice looking motor alright but surprised me with it's acceleration for a diesel and was wondering what their best performing diesel is in the a4 (assuming the s4 badge was merely stuck on after manufacture!)

Cheers for any info!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

They are petrol. Big v8's. They are only muppets putting s4 badges on TDI's:rolleyes:
    I think theres a 3.0TDI, thats probly the best performing diesal A4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Don't forget the "RS4 TDI":rolleyes: either! I've seen one of those too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Definitely no S4 diesel A4 or any other genuine "S" model. However, the Audi diesels do have a lot of poke at low revs so don't be surprised if you see one pulling away from you.

What were you driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

There is a S-Line diesel model but that ain't no S4 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 asti_mivec

ksimpson wrote: »
    Definitely no S4 diesel A4 or any other genuine "S" model. However, the Audi diesels do have a lot of poke at low revs so don't be surprised if you see one pulling away from you.

What were you driving?

It was quite pokey alright but was just unsure whether it was just somebody sticking a badge on or not, it did seem to be an S-line kit too so hence the confusion as I wouldn't be the most knowledgeable about these new diesels.

I was driving an fto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

asti_mivec wrote: »
    It was quite pokey alright but was just unsure whether it was just somebody sticking a badge on or not, it did seem to be an S-line kit too so hence the confusion as I wouldn't be the most knowledgeable about these new diesels.

I was driving an fto.

Depends on the generation, but none of the diesel A4's are all that impressive.
    There's a 2.5TDi with either 163 or 180bhp. Mediocre at best. Everyone driving them thinks they're a pure weapon, but they're not. That's why they put the S4 badge on them, cause they think they're fast. Is your FTO a 2 litre V6 mivec? Cause if it is, then at full tilt from a standing start, you'd beat any diesel A4. The 3 litre might be the exception, but I didn't think that engine was in the A4, just the A6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Biro wrote: »

I have just changed my 2002 VW Passat 1.9TDi 100BHP for the Audi I have linked. It's a 2.0TDi 140BHP model, and I must say it has a lot of poke. Great acceleration. I know I was coming from a low base but I just love the drive.

AUDI....VALET! 001 (Large).jpg

AUDI....VALET! 008 (Large).jpg

gebbel wrote: »
    I have just changed my 2002 VW Passat 1.9TDi 100BHP for the Audi I have linked. It's a 2.0TDi 140BHP model, and I must say it has a lot of poke. Great acceleration. I know I was coming from a low base but I just love the drive.

AUDI....VALET! 001 (Large).jpg

AUDI....VALET! 008 (Large).jpg

I know that engine well from the Passat. Ya, for an every day car it's fine, but it's still no "weapon".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

There's always the possibility that it was an S4 with a TDI badge stuck on the boot, although one would in that case expect the owner to have removed the S4 badging. I used to have a Mk2 Golf GTI 16v badged as a Golf CL.

There's a 2.5TDi with either 163 or 180bhp. Mediocre at best. Everyone driving them thinks they're a pure weapon, but they're not. That's why they put the S4 badge on them, cause they think they're fast. Is your FTO a 2 litre V6 mivec? Cause if it is, then at full tilt from a standing start, you'd beat any diesel A4. The 3 litre might be the exception, but I didn't think that engine was in the A4, just the A6.

Yeah, mine is a mivec - manual too :D - and I was beating him no bother but it was the acceleration from a stand that surprised me! As said, I don't know too much about diesels but always thought that their power was great when moving due to the amount of torque but that they took an age to get there!

I just wanted to know if audi were getting as liberal with the S badges as VW seem to be with the GT. Obviously not I see! :)

@gebbel - she's a nice clean car!

• Advertisement

asti_mivec wrote: »
    Yeah, mine is a mivec - manual too :D - and I was beating him no bother but it was the acceleration from a stand that surprised me! As said, I don't know too much about diesels but always thought that their power was great when moving due to the amount of torque but that they took an age to get there!

I just wanted to know if audi were getting as liberal with the S badges as VW seem to be with the GT. Obviously not I see! :)

@gebbel - she's a nice clean car!

You can be full sure he was at 100% full tilt on it trying to prove to you that he had a faster car. Practically all VAG TDi drivers try to prove their car's "animal power" when meeting any other car on the road. They'd probably soil themselves if they were ever in anything with real power.

Ha ha, I got that impression alright. I eased off at 120 and could see him still with the foot to the floor when I leveled off and he kept going to crazy speed which I wasn't doing.

I do think that everybody talks their own up a bit alright but have noticed quite alot of the VAG dedication become a tad tiresome at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

They did not produce a limited edition DTM model in a diesel variant?

Iknow they did a 220BHP petrol DTM A4 but don't know about a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

You can be full sure he was at 100% full tilt on it trying to prove to you that he had a faster car. Practically all VAG TDi drivers try to prove their car's "animal power" when meeting any other car on the road. They'd probably soil themselves if they were ever in anything with real power.

Seems to be a lot of angst towards all us VAG Tdi drivers there Biro. Any particular reason why? Someone must have pissed you off big time as thats a big ol brush your tarring us all with........

I don't feel the need to prove anything (animal or otherwise) when driving my car. I bought it for economy as i do a lot of miles, but the fact that it has a wee bit of poke is nice too, compared with other diesels or your average 1.6/1.8 petrol car. Obviously it's no Skyline or anything which would seem to be the only type of car you consider to have "animal power" or the ability to make me soil myself. I'll be sure to have the pampers ready should i ever sit into one:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Agreed.

Another example of Motors forum idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

If you're looking for a quick derv Audi, try googling "MTM Thunderbolt"...

550 Torques? Mmmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The S-Line is a trim level on Audis afaik. This includes a unique S-Line subtle body kit, alloys and sport interior trim. It was/is available with the TDi engines afaik. I have seen plenty of A4 S-Line TDis about. This is one:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/1.9-TDI/870342/

The S4 or RS4 are a different kettle of fish, these are high performance versions of the A4 saloon and came with a V8 petrol engine:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/S4/4.2-V8/857296/

Of course there are plenty of S4/RS4 replicas out there with TDi engines like this:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=952639

Seems to be a lot of angst towards all us VAG Tdi drivers there Biro. Any particular reason why? Someone must have pissed you off big time as thats a big ol brush your tarring us all with........

I don't feel the need to prove anything (animal or otherwise) when driving my car. I bought it for economy as i do a lot of miles, but the fact that it has a wee bit of poke is nice too, compared with other diesels or your average 1.6/1.8 petrol car. Obviously it's no Skyline or anything which would seem to be the only type of car you consider to have "animal power" or the ability to make me soil myself. I'll be sure to have the pampers ready should i ever sit into one:rolleyes:

It seems I'm not the only one who experiences VAG TDI drivers boast about their car's ability. You'll note that in my post I didn't mention "all", therefore I'm not tarring.

"but the fact that it has a wee bit of poke is nice too, compared with other diesels or your average 1.6/1.8 petrol car." Thats part of my point. I've owned a 1.8 petrol car that would be as quick as the 1.9 150 tdi in a Golf, I've driven 1.6 petrol's that are quicker, the VAG diesels are NOT class leading in terms of power output. Most of the Golf "GT TDi" drivers that I've heard boast are owners of the 130 bhp model. Fiat have a far more refined 150bhp 1.9, and now have a 180bhp 1.9, BMW have a more refined and economical 2 litre at 177bhp than VW's 170bhp 2 litre. The 140bhp offering is on par with the rest of the field, eg Mazda's quieter 143bhp model.
    My point is that their engines are fine, but not class leading, so what are they quicker than really? One of my mates has a 3 saloon 1.6 diesel, exceptionally quiet PSA engine with 110bhp, yet he gets constantly slagged off by Golf drivers that he bought the wrong car, and their 105bhp 1.9 noisey diesel is better.

quarryman wrote: »
    Agreed.

Another example of Motors forum idiocy.

?

Saying VAG diesels are class leading is like saying that VAG cars have a reputation for reliability.

Both are completely exaggerated, pull up behind any 4 cylinder VAG diesel versus anything else, and there is no comparison.

VAG diesels are still stuck in a time warp in terms of refinement.

And plenty of diesels eclipse their power and torque outputs. 105 bhp from a 1.9 is pathetic really.

You only have to look at BMW diesels to see where I'm coming from. Or PSA, or Fiat, or Honda, with their "whispering diesel".

4 years on from the world's first twin sequential turbo diesel by BMW and still no sign of one from the supposed leaders in diesel technology.

They thought that unit injection technology was better, which is why they are finally switching to common rail technology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Might be something to do with the fact that you're driving seriously overated cars.

E92 wrote: »
    Saying VAG diesels are class leading is like saying that VAG cars have a reputation for reliability.

Both are completely exaggerated, pull up behind any 4 cylinder VAG diesel versus anything else, and there is no comparison.

VAG diesels are still stuck in a time warp in terms of refinement.

And plenty of diesels eclipse their power and torque outputs. 105 bhp from a 1.9 is pathetic really.

You only have to look at BMW diesels to see where I'm coming from. Or PSA, or Fiat, or Honda, with their "whispering diesel".

4 years on from the world's first twin sequential turbo diesel by BMW and still no sign of one from the supposed leaders in diesel technology.

They thought that unit injection technology was better, which is why they are finally switching to common rail technology.

I take it you mean that audi are finally going to copy fiat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

bazz26 wrote: »
    The S-Line is a trim level on Audis afaik. This includes a unique S-Line subtle body kit, alloys and sport interior trim. It was/is available with the TDi engines afaik. I have seen plenty of A4 S-Line TDis about. This is one:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/1.9-TDI/870342/

The S4 or RS4 are a different kettle of fish, these are high performance versions of the A4 saloon and came with a V8 petrol engine:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/S4/4.2-V8/857296/

Of course there are plenty of S4/RS4 replicas out there with TDi engines like this:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=952639
    Is that price right on the S4, that's crazy cheap at €23K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

+6500 VRT but still seems cheap. Stunning car imo.

groupb wrote: »
    I take it you mean that audi are finally going to copy fiat?
    why would VAG be copying something from FIAT that FIAT didn't invent;)?(they were the first manufacturer to use the technology in cars, but the predecessor to what we call common rail was around in the 40's. for more, see here)

They're gonna be copying BMW with the twin sequential turbo idea soon though.

The new Cayenne diesel will be a 3.2 twin sequential turbo V6 apparently(designed by VAG).

And there's a new twin sequential 2.0 diesel on the way too.

Stunning? It just looks like an Aud.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    Did fiat( in conjunction with bosch) not invent common rail E92?

groupb wrote: »
    Did fiat( in conjunction with bosch) not invent common rail E92?
    No. See my link. FIAT did the R&D on the system for it to work in cars, and Bosch acquired the design, and the rest, as they say, is history:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

So what you're saying is Fiat design good engines but can't build them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

+that.

Any comment that includes the words 'Practically all x drivers try to y' is moronic unless you've surveyed the whole driving population, which I doubt somehow.

I certainly don't try to prove anything in my a4 1.9 130bhp. By the way, whatever about others comments on power/torque/refinement etc, I really enjoy driving mine and the balance between power and fuel economy is fantastic and a real condsideration now with fuel at or above 1.25 a litre.

• Advertisement

FX Meister wrote: »
    So what you're saying is Fiat design good engines but can't build them

I never said that!

FIAT diesels are supposed to be very reliable as it happens though:).

Variable Valve Timing in a petrol is a FIAT invention, and a proper FIAT invention at that.

Advertisement