Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi s4 tdi?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

E92 wrote: »
    VAG didn't come up with DSG. BorgWarner created the design and VAG produce it under licence from them.

how enlightening, thanks for the clarification, I didnt type VAG selling DSG, i typed other manufacturers are using DSG for their cars, which is more than what you can say about BMW.

Morgen buy V8 engines from BMW. Noble buy V6 engines from Ford. Ariel buy i-VTEC engines from Honda. Lotus buy the VVTL-i engine from the Celica off Toyota. What's your point about the 2.0 TDI?

If you look at my post its fairly obvious what my point is, I dont see BMW selling any of their *amazing* diesel engines to other manufactures.

What I do, have done and will do in the future is quite frankly none of your business.

I like twiglets.

[/QUOTE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I like turtles! :o

The 320d in question was 150bhp version,i cant comment on the 335 engine ive no first hand experience of it,but im sure its a great engine like the 330d which i have some exp of,but ive said it before and ill say it again the 320d engine is a mare! it just wasn't in the same league as the 130 or 150pd engine,even my remapped 100pd! it just didnt have the same "get up and go" it wasnt a lively engine at all - very disappointing!

And if you are trying to tell me the 320d engine is a quiet deisel then get off your horse its as noisey as the vag unit,anyway at the end of the day if you are driving a diesel with a TDI badge on the back or front then you cant hide the fact,it is never going to sound like a V6 or V8
    - is it a shame issue with you? the noise issue has never bothered me!!

My brother has a TDCI mondeo 130bhp and that as noisey as any oilburner i know-fine engine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

tossy wrote: »
    My old 100pd golf remapped to 130 could easily and regularly put shame to my mates 320d.
    Ara jaysus. That's like treacle vs molases.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Ara jaysus. That's like treacle vs molases.

What a ridiculous quote! fair play to you,oh dear is my exact comment too!

I see what you were trying to do there but you didnt quite pull it off,i guess you were trying to compare two things that were of similar use but were complete opposites of each other! so you referenced an ancient medicine and a raw sugar extract! clearly two things related and of the same usage! :)

but you didnt quite pull it off,
    Nah, sorry man you missed it: I was comparing slow and slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I've had plenty of exposure to the VAG 1.9tdi lump, and I have to say I think it's a cracker of an engine. Noisy sure, and no doubt there are now better diesel engines out there, but I've been genuinely amazed by the performance of some VAG 1.9Tdi's I've been in. On most of them I've driven (generally been "run in" a good bit) the mid range acceleration is better than most other diesels I've driven.

I've had dealers who bought old 100ps Tdi's ring up to query what's on the log book as it feels much quicker than it should be - these are industry professionals who know what they are talking about. An ex-collegue was shocked by the pace of a Bora 110ps I was using while my motor was in for repair - he stepped out of his GTi straight in to the Bora, and stepped out with a big smile on his face.

Around the industrial estate another collegues Golf Van wasn't too far behind the GTi mentioned above when heading for lunch - tested that quite a few times.

I'm by no means a VAG fan boy (although I do drive a Skoda as my day to day) but I think the slagging they get on here for the Tdi is not deserved. You have to wonder how many the main protaganists have driven. I've driven some which felt very poor - a Superb 1.9 130ps springs to mind, but the good ones outway the dissapointing ones.

Nah, sorry man you missed it: I was comparing slow and slow.

ha ha i did indeed miss it! sorry hard night last night,ill hold my hands up and say good one!

To add fuel to the fire i thought my golf was a weapon until i got my current car,its a fast car,but like everything else in life the golden rule is there is always something better!

To add fuel to the fire i thought my golf was a weapon until i got my current car,its a fast car,
    What is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

how enlightening, thanks for the clarification, I didnt type VAG selling DSG, i typed other manufacturers are using DSG for their cars, which is more than what you can say about BMW.

You implied that "VAG's" DSG gearbox is so good that other manufacturers copied "VAG's" design.
    If you look at my post its fairly obvious what my point is, I dont see BMW selling any of their *amazing* diesel engines to other manufactures.
    Your point was that the VAG diesel is so good other companies use it. And my point is nobody cares, because loads of other companies sell their engines too(VAG also sell their petrol engines too). It doesn't prove anything. Now that you've jogged my memory, I now remember all the car mags remarking about how noisy the VAG sourced engine was.

You don't need to take my word about BMW's diesel engines.

What engine came second in the 2.5-3.0 litre category in the 2007 International Engine of the Year competition?(it was the 335d's/535d's engine, second only to the 335i's engine actually) What engine came second in the 1.8 to 2.0 category in the same competition?(it was the 320d/X3 2.0d/520d etc)

What engine won the 2.5 to 3.0 litre category in the 2006 International engine of the Year awards? And also won the same award the year before that?(it was the 535d)And again in the same engine category in 2000 and 1999?(the very first 530d) As well as winning the 3.0 to 4.0 in 1999?(the 740d)

@tossy:what do you drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Why does every thread about an Audi rapidly go completely off topic and turn into a thread about how BMW kicks Audi's ass??

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

AudiChris wrote: »
    BMW kicks Audi's ass

Glad you think so:D!

They don't really. One person's FIAT is another's BMW, or whatever analogy you prefer to use, which is the great thing about cars: we all have different opinions, and we're always right, even when we're wrong:)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Yeah, I know. Cars are emotive, that's why they're so captivating!

What is it?

V6 4motion bora another one for the VAG haters to jump on,but its 4WD motor munching beast! that likes a little petrol,a big change coming from my1.9 noisey lump :D

V6 4motion bora another one for the VAG haters to jump on

Unusual choice, but each to their own! Nothing beats 6 cylinder petrol noise, well apart from V8 petrol noise I suppose:D!

Who was the first winner of LE Mans 24hr with a diesel engine... AUDi Who has the worlds first Diesel super car.. your RIIIGHTTTT Audi... Who has the first Diesel sports car.....Audi... the 2.0Tdi unit is now in the TT.

I rest my case.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What a very poor thread this is. Chill folks. Another slanging match.

p.s. My Dad is bigger than your Dad :D

Who was the first winner of LE Mans 24hr with a diesel engine... AUDi

Hats off to Audi for getting all the changed so they would be biased towards diesels. Couldn't beat them on their own technical merit, so got the governing body to change some of the rules to suit them.
    Who has the worlds first Diesel super car.. your RIIIGHTTTT Audi...

What supercar? The R8 V12 TDI? The one that's still a concept? The one where a petrol will still be the fastest?
    Who has the first Diesel sports car.....Audi... the 2.0Tdi unit is now in the TT.
    Oh please. Talk about fanboyism! The TT is based on a family hatchback. That's not sporty!The 2.0 TDI is so fast that it manages to be the second slowest TT in the range. It's the slowest until Audi brings in a 1.8 TFSI with 160 bhp, which will be making it's debut at the AMI show in Leipzig. BMW have the 123d Coupé, which like the TT is also derived from a family hatchback, and does 0-60 in no less than 7 seconds compared to the TT's 7.5, and is 8 mph faster at the top end at 148 mph.

Neither are proper sports cars, being derived from family cars, but if this now falls under the definition of a sports car, then BMW had a diesel sports car either 3 or 4 years ago with the 330Cd, and Merc had the CLK 270 CDI 5 years ago! A Porsche Boxster or an S2000 is a proper sports car IMHO, and I'd prefer either to BMW's offering in this segment believe it or not:)!

When is the last time BMW won anything.. they arent even doing that well in the BTCC, which last year SEAT in their TDI came second.

Awards dont win races.

One of your fav cars right here.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=DmW5ixWLY_Y

Look at the gauges at the bottom. The BMW is clearly freewheeling with the engine off.:p

This thread is getting a bit pointless. Everyone knows that neither Audi nor BMW are the best.. that award goes to Skoda in general, and the Octavia in particular.

That’s efficiency dynamics and Jedi mind control.

• Advertisement

The fan boys have killed this thread im afraid it did start off with a few valid and reasoned points but the "audi have bigger willies than BMW talk has ruined it" this party is over folks :)

Everyone knows that neither Audi nor BMW are the best.. that award goes to Skoda in general, and the Octavia in particular.

LOL:D! You have your moments JHMEG, no doubt about that!

@HashSlinging: BMW have won so many awards it's not even funny. Go and Google it(there were 2.3 million hits when I typed in BMW awards to Google a few mins ago). The only thing road cars and race cars have in common is a couple of badges here and there. I'm not wasting any further time and energy on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

T'was good while it lasted though, and no doubt we haven't heard the last of the VAG TDi bashing and worshiping on this site! All in good fun though.
    So in conclusion, no... there is not and never was an S4 with a diesel engine.

Torque is cheap guys, Torque is cheap (borat says....nnnnoooott)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

What a fanboi convention.

Anyone who metions performance car and diesel together should really work a little harder and get a petrol car.

Anything less is a compromise.

cancan wrote: »

Anyone who metions performance car and diesel together should really work a little harder and get a petrol car.

Ah there you go being all alannis Morrisette.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

you know a diesel thread has run its course, when the Le Mans card is played :pac:

cancan wrote: »

Anything less is a compromise.
    +1, and even Audi for all their talk will have a 580 bhp petrol R8 on the way next year, so they agree with us too!

Performance cars are not about saving the planet, lowish CO2 emissions, or saving your wallet. If you want to do all of these things you buy a small car.

So...what's the point of a diesel supercar then?

There's no such thing as a one size fits all scenario, and diesels are very good at many things, but they are not a hot hatchback, sports car, supercar, or even a racing car, and never will be no matter how fast they are. Speed isn't everything, a plane goes 500 mph but it's not exciting, a go kart might only do 50 mph but I know which I'd rather be in.

E92 wrote: »
    So...what's the point of a diesel supercar then?
    So you can pull super trailers?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Wossack wrote: »
    you know a diesel thread has run its course, when the Le Mans card is played :pac:
    Usually incorrectly too...

Advertisement