Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card for an 18 yr old??

Options
  • 27-03-2008 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hey
    Just wondering if I'd be eligible for a credit card. I'm 18 and I dont have any permanent income at the moment (doing leavng cert).

Would I be able to get a visa card to do my shopping online???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Doubt it. Lack of income will be your biggest problem. Apply and find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I know the banks do give third level students credit cards even if they have zero income, it's usually a low credit limit of €500 so it's possible they will give one to anyone 18 or older.

A credit card is great for ordering online once you pay it off, at your age be very careful with it if you get one that you are capable of paying it off, otherwise it will mess up your credit rating and you will have big problems obtaining any loans in the future.

3V card may be safer option, it's a prepayed credit card, check www.3v.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Hey
    Just wondering if I'd be eligible for a credit card. I'm 18 and I dont have any permanent income at the moment (doing leavng cert).

Would I be able to get a visa card to do my shopping online???

Thanks

If it was me, I wouldn't be so keen to give you one (I'm a lender that's why I say that). I could see you only paying off the minimum every month and in fairness you have no income either. You would have to be showing some sort of income before you I would consider you. But that's me. I'm a bitch but hey my ass is on the line if you turn out to be a bum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I have an AIB student card, €600 limit but my Mam works for them so I dunno if that makes any difference.

very very too handy.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    My Mam works for them so I dunno if that makes any difference.

I think so ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

stepbar wrote: »
    I could see you only paying off the minimum every month

banks consider this a bad thing?

It's not exactly great TBH IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

I only plan on making small orders of >€200 and I will have sufficent funds in my account before each transaction. I don't plan on using it that often but it would be handy!

Is there a charge to get a credit card? (apart from APR)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

stepbar wrote: »
    It's not exactly great TBH IMO.
    how so?

I would have thought this means customers pay the most interest possible on the card.

life_is_music- there is 30e govt stamp duty.

Means a higher risk of default. In fairness banks need to reduce risk. Having someone who nominates to pay off only the minimum every month has a higher risk than someone who pays off a higher percentage per month. It's not desirable to have to right off the balance on a credit card because someone can't afford same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement