Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Challenges 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Border Trek - 14th 15th June

Ring of Kerry - 5th July

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Tour of Ireland - 9th - 12th May www.tourofireland.eu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

18th May - Mount Leinster Challange - http://www.slaneycyclingclub.com/?page_id=33

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Great site I just found! Shows near enough all the events going on in Ireland and the UK, with links to websites and everything
    http://sportives.org/

Great site I just found! Shows near enough all the events going on in Ireland and the UK, with links to websites and everything
    http://sportives.org/

A word of warning about some of the dates on this website as some of them may not be entirely accurate - it says that the Ring of Kerry is on 7th July which is a Monday ??, I got an e-mail from one of the organisers earlier this year to say that it was on Saturday 5th, it also says that Border Trek is on 23rd June which again is a Monday, I have a flier here from Co-Operation Ireland to say that it is on Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th June.
    These are just two that I have noticed - maybe the rest of the dates are OK .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Will do the The Kelly Legacy this year ... I don't want Sean Kelly to tell me I shouldn't call myself a cyclist this year again ... :p

A word of warning about some of the dates on this website as some of them may not be entirely accurate - it says that the Ring of Kerry is on 7th July which is a Monday ??, I got an e-mail from one of the organisers earlier this year to say that it was on Saturday 5th, it also says that Border Trek is on 23rd June which again is a Monday, I have a flier here from Co-Operation Ireland to say that it is on Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th June.
    These are just two that I have noticed - maybe the rest of the dates are OK .

Cool stuff -beware everyone!
    What I like most is that it links to the organisers sites, so you can find out more info if you need it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I'm interested in doing the TdF commerative ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

I know this is going further afield but the Tour of Flanders sportive is on next Saturday (April 5th). It is available at three distances - 75k, 140k (me!) and 256k. What makes this event so distinctive is the 17 hills - 8 of which are cobbled. Last year over 18,000 took part. Event details: www.rvv.be

michaelm wrote: »
    17 hills - 8 of which are cobbled.

Ouch! Don't think I fancy riding uphill on cobbles -Temple Bar is bad enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Ring of Kerry - 5th July
    http://www.ringofkerrycycle.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Ouch! Don't think I fancy riding uphill on cobbles -Temple Bar is bad enough!
    On a dry day going up isn't too bad - it's going down the other side that's the problem!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://sorrentocyclingclub.com/site/?page_id=25

AUDAX Ireland Events 2008 200Km - 400Km

13/4/08 Clash 200 Start @ 08.00hrs Bray
    11/5/08 Midleton 200 Start @ 08.00hrs Midleton
    25/5/08 Mick Byrne 200 Start 08.00hrs Dalkey
    21/6/08 Surf and Turf 300 Start 06.00hrs Clonmel
    05/7/08 REK400 Start @ 02.00hrs Dundrum
    24/8/08 Dying Cow 200 Start @08.00 hrs Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Sunday may 11th Tour of the hearthlands Athlone

160KM

Metting at Athlone Institute of technology on Sunday may 11th @ 9:30 (Time TBA)

Is anyone else thinking of doing the TdF ride?

Wont make it - it is on same weekend as Ring of Kerry !

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

sligo to letterkenny, roughly 110km in aid of irish cancer society, 5th time in 8 years for me (if i do it)

date not confirmed yet, usally first weekend in july, poured rain for nearly whole event last year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Bike The Blackwater | June 15th 2008

www.biketheblackwater.org

for those of us that like the more leisurely runs :)

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

irish-stew wrote: »
    sligo to letterkenny, roughly 110km in aid of irish cancer society, 5th time in 8 years for me (if i do it)

date not confirmed yet, usally first weekend in july, poured rain for nearly whole event last year

sunday july 6th

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

From Slaney CC Website

Saturday July 5th is only three weeks away!

Celebrating the 1998 Tour de France stage from Enniscorthy to Cork, we’re riding it again! Fully supported , with a break for lunch in Sean Kelly’s home town of Carrick-on-Suir on the way, this is a unique ride in the wheel tracks of le tour. Raising funds for the HOPE cancer care charity, the event is supported by Enniscorthy Town Council and we hope to be joined by members of the Blazing Saddles crew.

A map of the route is on the 10th TDF Ride page.

If you intend taking part, and have not entered yet, there’s still time. But please get an entry form to pat@slaneycyclingclub.com as soon as possible. Entry form can be downloaded from 10th TDF Ride page.

If you have booked accomodation and evening meal etc at the Silver Springs through the club, the hotel need final payment by 19th June so contact Pat if you have not paid in full.

Coming back to Enniscorthy on Saturday evening - A bus has been provisionally booked for anyone requiring transport home but your place must be booked in advance if you (and your bike!) need a lift home. Nominal fee of €10 if we have enough numbers.

Staying in Cork overnight - for the bike masochists out there several participants have expressed an interest in cycling back some, or all of the way, the following day. If you are interested let us know and we’ll try and get a group together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Is there any spins on post August 24th ?

I tend to get lazy if I have nothing to train for !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://sorrentocyclingclub.com/site/?page_id=25
    24/8/08 Dying Cow 200 Start @08.00 hrs Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

penexpers- I'm thinking of doing the TdF ride, not sure between it and the Ring of Kerry.

blorg I'm going to do the ROK. I don't think I have enough training done for the TDF ride and by the sounds of it they are short on numbers for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

In fairness, putting it on the same day as the ROK was probably not the best idea.

Advertisement