Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD shelf?

Options
  • 27-03-2008 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Anyone got an old DVD shelf they're not using anymore? I'll pick it up, and I can pay a little. If it's old and broken and ugly I don't mind, I can fix it. I'm just extremely sick of storing 50+ DVDs in stacks on the living room floor...

PS anyone know how to get onto the Sligo Freecycle?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dingo dog

why dont you try going to marys of sligo or home base, you can pick up a shelving unit there and they are pretty cheap 2! cant help you with the freecycle im affaid!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Hi Xiney

I gave one away not long ago on Freecycle....oh well!

I tried to get the link to the site for you but my computer is sick and needs to be re-booted.

So just google "freecycle groups"
    search for sligo
    visit site
    then apply to join with the link
    It can take awhile to be approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

yeah... I'm waiting for approval :(

I'd like to try giving something already existing a home rather than go out and buy some mass produced Chinese manifestation of the continued destruction of the planet....... aka buying something cheap at Mary's. If I have to, I have to though. Having them all on the floor in heaps is making my organisational side twitchy.

(DVDs don't harm the earth, after all. Especially not David Attenborough DVDs)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I'm a member of the Sligo, Leitrim and Roscommon Freecycles and when I post something on all three one after the other, when it actually appears on the three sites can vary greatly. I suppose it just depends how on the ball the moderator is. Last time it varied by about three days between the three.

Hope you manage to get a shelf! :) Next time I'm in Enniskillen I'm getting a tall, narrow DVD unit from Argos.

I wish there was an Argos in Sligo :(

I'd destroy the planet with utter glee if there was an Ikea.

• Advertisement

i have have to agree with you there! i believe in the preservation of our planet and recycling! i wish you the best of luck in your endevours!! although i would certainly seek help with that organisational side twitch! p.s is it alphabetical or catoragization??

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Xiney wrote: »

Don't get me started, I've already been on a rant on the other thread! :D

dingo dog wrote: »
    i have have to agree with you there! i believe in the preservation of our planet and recycling! i wish you the best of luck in your endevours!! although i would certainly seek help with that organisational side twitch! p.s is it alphabetical or catoragization??

categorization all the way! that way I can stick Mr Xiney's many DVDs of classic matches in their own section which I can then ignore completely!

I will have a look in at Mary's on the weekend, just for an idea of what's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Both 'House Of Value' (in Wine Street Car Park) and 'Nice Price' (next to The Clarence) both sell a decent DVD rack which holds 50 DVD's and is about €12 - €14. Can't get much cheaper than that!

I own 5 of them already and they're great. Black metal frame with wood on top and bottom. Some photos of them in this post but they're difficult to really see cos they're full! :o

basquille wrote: »
    Both 'House Of Value' (in Wine Street Car Park) and 'Nice Price' (next to The Clarence) both sell a decent DVD rack which holds 50 DVD's and is about €12 - €14. Can't get much cheaper than that!

I own 5 of them already and they're great. Black metal frame with wood on top and bottom. Some photos of them in this post but they're difficult to really see cos they're full! :o

That is really cheap! I've seen your collection and although I am green with envy, I think we might have too many box sets for a rack to be practical. Definitely will check out House of Value too though, maybe they have a shelf and the owner was really nice to me once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Bmark

I bought a lot of stuff from Argos when i moved into my new house a couple of years ago - i had to replace every last bit of it !!! Beware !!!!!

Doesn't matter to me anyway...

I've got as much chance of getting my non-driving butt out to an Argos as a snowball's got in hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

What the hell is "Freecycle"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If it's old and broken and ugly I don't mind, I can fix it. /QUOTE]

Can you do the same for people?

Gillie wrote: »
    What the hell is "Freecycle"?

Its a recycling group, people offer/receive unwanted goods from each other in the group.

http://www.freecycle.org/group/Ireland/Ireland/Sligo

Does that include Spouses?

Does that include Spouses?

Sorry, no. The males go straight to landfill. The females go on to rule the internet.

sueme wrote: »
    Its a recycling group, people offer/receive unwanted goods from each other in the group.

http://www.freecycle.org/group/Ireland/Ireland/Sligo

That's a cool idea... reminds me of when I lived in Amsterdam, there was (and probably still is!) one day a year when people would clear out their houses of all unwanted items & leave them out on the street. Then you went around the city and if you found anything you needed or liked, you could take it home with you for free. The time I was there, the flat we rented was empty, but we managed to pick up 2 sofas, a table, a really old TV & a VCR. At the end of the day, the council sent around trucks & picked up anything left over & dumped it... you'd definitely get a DVD shelf that way!

The females go on to rule the internet.

Proper order too! Out of sight behind a monitor!:p

Sorry, no. The males go straight to landfill. The females go on to rule the internet.

There's an inherent flaw in that plan.. when the fuse goes on your PC, there'll be no-one there to change it for you!

• Advertisement

There's an inherent flaw in that plan.. when the fuse goes on your PC, there'll be no-one there to change it for you!

I have never met a man who is better than me at DIY. We'll cope. :D

Xiney, would you like me to build you a DVD shelf? Just to shut up them men?!

You haven't met me!;)

You haven't met me!;)

How do you know? :D

Putting a Homebase flatpack together doesn't count. :)

How do you know? :D

Trust me you'd remember.
    I on the other hand probably wouldn't as i'd more than likely be drunk!

Anywho. Back on Topic.
    Woods used to be a great place to pick up cheap shelving and the like.
    Homebase is quite expensive!

Building site skips are great places to pick up-off cuts of timber. I built all the shelving in my studio from skip salvage.

I think I'll manage.

For 12 months I was the Chair of a student run organization that supplied computer labs and printing services to 4000 undergraduate science students at McGill University. I was in charge of 40 people, 120 workstations, 6 servers (linux and a couple windows)... you get the point.

I also worked for two summers as a general farm labourer on a lettuce farm. I threw 40 lb boxes of lettuce onto 6' high skids. I've driven tractors with 25' wagons attached and I've operated forklifts.

I helped my dad replace the ceiling (drywall) in my parent's kitchen. I did most of the heavy lifting - he has a bad back. He basically just told me what to do.

When we lived in Montreal, Mr. Xiney and I replaced our kitchen floor with vinyl tiles. Mr. Xiney was better at removing the old tiles than I was (what can I say, he's more patient than I am) but I had to cut the new tiles to size and put them down since it was an old building and none of the walls were straight or right angled and it turns out Mr. Xiney hates that fiddly ****.

So take your sexist ideas elsewhere, I'm more "man" than most who are in possession of a Y chromosome and a lump in their pants.

Thanks for the tip on the skip yards, though. I don't own a saw yet but I'll see what I can do, now that you've made me mad enough to build my own shelf out of reclaimed wood!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Whoa, that a pretty impressive DIY CV Xiney! Can I give ya a shout if I need some tiling done?

Please do. I'm bored as all hell!

• Advertisement

dont you mean board??? ha ha

Advertisement