Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD shelf?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Theres a a good and decent size boot sale in Carrick on Shannon every two weeks. You might be able to pick up a dvd shelf there. Mind you if your are anything like me you may salvage a few other bits and bobs.(eg plenty more dvds for the pile...twitch twitch :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I've never been to Carrick on Shannon... where in the town is the sale held and when is the next one?

Used to go to flea markets all the time :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Xiney wrote: »
    I've never been to Carrick on Shannon... where in the town is the sale held and when is the next one?

Used to go to flea markets all the time :)

Its on the landmark hotel side on he town, over the stone bridge, in a garage after one of the roundabouts!(wow thats fierce helpful directions ie rubbish!) Someone here will be abit more organised. ...Normally, signs are up when its on, seen it advertised in the weekender and Leitrim observer too. I always have to doublecheck which weekend its on as invariably I get the urge to go on the wrong weekend! :o
    Best put a call out to magnumlady for better detail I'd say.
    Yes I love bootsales too, one of the things I miss about coming home as they tend to be few and far between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm still laughing at the thought of women doing DIY. Next they'll be saying that they can drive. Pffft! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'm still laughing at the thought of women doing DIY. Next they'll be saying that they can drive. Pffft! :)
    If you want to troll go do it somewhere else.

Next time this happens you are outa here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

muffler wrote: »

So you deem that to be trolling , but then post stuff like this and it's ok , by the way I dont think either are trolling but I don't see why you are warning someone for a comment clearly made in jest when you do similar comments yourself , seems a little inconsistent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Bit of a difference there Gustavo in all fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

gustavo wrote: »
    So you deem that to be trolling , but then post stuff like this and it's ok , by the way I dont think either are trolling but I don't see why you are warning someone for a comment clearly made in jest when you do similar comments yourself , seems a little inconsistent
    This is neither the place or the time. I have my reasons. If you are not happy take it to PM or feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I'm too scared to post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

muffler wrote: »

I had to google "troll" to see what it meant in internet terms. I always thought trolls were those little monsters who lived under bridges!

Anyhow, here's a completely on-topic post; How to build a DVD shelf ;

Choose the location where you will place the shelves and measure that space.

Now you have some measurements to work with. Knowing that an average DVD is ½ inch thick, a 36 inch shelf will hold approximately 72 DVDs. Each shelf should be 8 inches high. Make sure you account for the width of your boards when figuring the measurements for your DVD shelving.

Let’s assume you’d like to build a 36 inch wide case with 8 shelves. The end result will be a case measuring 38 inches wide by 74 inches high. This case will hold 500 plus DVDs or CDs. Using 1x6 boards you will need 36 feet of 1x6 lumber and one 36 inch 2x6 to create a sturdy base. You will also need to buy a sheet of ¼ inch plywood for placing on the back of the case. Other materials needed include sand paper, 36 wood screws, a drill with the appropriate bit, a hammer, and small tacking nails. Soft white pine will work fine for this project and should be available for approximately 50 cents per board foot, making your cost for lumber around €20 not including the plywood backing. If you do not own a good saw for cutting the boards, many lumber suppliers will cut the boards to your specifications, but be sure they make precise measurements. Otherwise, your project will turn out lop-sided. You may need to do a bit of sanding to ensure smooth board endings for a tight fit.

Now you are ready to mark your boards for drilling. Begin with one 74 inch long side board and line up the 2x6 base board with the bottom edge. From there you will want to place a shelf every 8 ½ inch until you reach the top. Drill your holes and attach the boards using two wood screws per shelf. You can then flip the case over and attach the remaining side board, making sure to measure for proper shelf placement.

Once you’ve constructed the basic shelf frame, you are ready to attach the backing. Cut the plywood slightly smaller than the outside frame of the case, approximately ¼ inch. Using a hammer and tacking nails secure the plywood backing to all four sides of the case.

To paint or stain the shelves, gather the needed supplies: paint or stain, paint brushes, staining rags, newspaper, something to stir with, and a screwdriver for opening lids. You’ll definitely want to move your project outside for this stage to avoid breathing paint or stain fumes. Apply a coat, let dry and if you’ve gotten your desired result – “wah-la” you are the proud owner and creator of your very own DVD shelving unit!

I'm now going to construct myself a bridge to hide under.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement