Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hangover nourishment

• 27-03-2008 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

I love cooking but if obscenely hungover like today I don't have the inclination unfortunately but don't like having to resort to eating junk. Anyone have any suggestions for a nice semi-healthy (but comforting!) and easy to prepare munchies for days like this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Beans, marrowfats, sweetcorn & butter, French toast. Not exactly recipes, but easy on the stomach. Eating fatty foods give something for the bile to work on.

The recover should start the night before. at least 3 pints of water. Also leave a 500ml of water in the bed beside you, if you wake up you can down it and snooze again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Pre-bed pints of water and soluble vitamin tablet in water. Glug glug. When you wake up at 6am with unpleasant drymouth, have two ibuprofen by the bed with another glass of water. Down ibuprofen, drink water.

I find the best things to eat on the day I have a hangover are buttery mashed potato, or better still an enormous roast beef dinner with another pint of lager to wash it down (rocky road to alcoholism? Perhaps, but it makes you feel better).

Chicken stew (recipe on here somewhere). A bowl of pasta with any variety of cream sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Bmark

The only cure is : open a can of coke and leave beside your bed before u go out, drink a pint of water before collapsing into bed hours later and when u wake up with a mouth like the Gobi desert down the can of coke (with 2 panadol) - there is a chemical in coke that stops u feeling so sick, then another 2 hours of sleep and u can eat anything without seeing it again!!:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Your headache is caused by dehydration and vitamin deficiencies so as MAJD says, a vitamin tablet and what ever your eating have it salty, this will help retaining fluids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Bmark wrote: »
    The only cure is : open a can of coke and leave beside your bed before u go out, drink a pint of water before collapsing into bed hours later and when u wake up with a mouth like the Gobi desert down the can of coke (with 2 panadol) - there is a chemical in coke that stops u feeling so sick, then another 2 hours of sleep and u can eat anything without seeing it again!!:D

Not sure that giving your liver a dose of paracetamol to work on in addition to the booze is such a great idea. Water for the dehydration or isotonic drinks.

Bacon, eggs, sausage, tomato, beans, chips, cup of tea and two rounds of toast. Steak & eggs and a coffee. Sausage sandwich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Fry up chorizo with salsa (for hangovers the jar is sufficent) jalepenos and peppers.

Wrap in a tortilla with grated cheese and pop a fried/poached egg on top. Serve with dollop of sour cream.

Remember - this HAS to be spicy, so don't skip on the jalepenos - and add some tabasco too :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I put a Vit C tablet into half orange juice, half blood orange juice (if I have it) and a dash of cranberry juice. Stir as it bubbles and drink with bacon (or sausage) sambo.

Works miracles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Mmm, people seem to be giving their hangover cures/preventative measures as opposed to comfort food.

I second Minder's greasy fry up with a cup of tea and toast. Or a big plate of salty chips and a couple of fried eggs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I second mashed potatoes. Carbs in general do it for me, so I'll resort to eating as much toast as I can fit in if necessary. French toast, pancakes, anything like that will work too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

noby wrote: »
    Mmm, people seem to be giving their hangover cures/preventative measures as opposed to comfort food.

Yeah but in my world it has to be half and half. I'm 5km from the nearest shop or bakery. I'm about 20km from the nearest greasy spoon cafe. If I'm having hangover food, I either have to travel or make it myself, and to do either of those things, I need to be able to move from my bed.

Otherwise "hangover nourishment" for the first 7-8 hours after waking will be 'glass of water, more sleep'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Faith wrote: »
    Carbs in general do it for me, so I'll resort to eating as much toast as I can fit in if necessary.
    Ditto!!! Don't forget the tea though:)

A hot chicken roll with mayo, lettuce and cheese also helped me last time I was severely hungover..!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

have a fry but grill most of it instead of frying it, and that's healthy enough. you could poach your egg if you want. lots of tea.

for dinner, a big load of mince, onion, carrot, gravy all slopped on lots of champ. real good comfort food.

not very imaginative but you can't beat it when you're hanging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Spanish Omelette with cheese on top

Tea & toast with Fix-It Friday...perfick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Berroca tablet in water is supposed to be good first thing in the morning after a hangover replacing vital B vitaims but i am told the australian version is much much better .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

latchyco wrote: »
    Berroca tablet in water is supposed to be good first thing in the morning after a hangover replacing vital B vitaims but i am told the australian version is much much better .

best taking vitamin b going to bed with water as you have all ready pissed it out and need to start replacing it

Advertisement