Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing name to Irish version

• 28-03-2008 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I have searched past threads but couldn't find anything

Supposing on my birth cert my name is in English version. But I've always been called the Irish version, dunno why just always have been.

I do have an interest in Irish and would now like to use my Irish name.
    Is it possible to change my bank account, government PPS record, etc just by contacting them directly.

Or do I need to go to court to get a deed poll. Not sure what a deed poll is but I've heard about it.

I do know Irish is the first offical language of the state so I don't see a problem but I don't know what the first step is.

Mods: I know I can't ask for legal advice but there is no way this thread falls outside the charter :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No need for deed polls or court orders.

First step would be to obtain a passport in the Irish name. Using the passport then contact any government agencies with a copy of the passport and request them to change the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to the passport office. They may accept a change from "Patrick" to "Paddy", but not from "Patrick" to "Bob" or "PRINCE GOODWILL UGO, OF LAGOS NIGERIA".

My borther was able to do a "Patrick" to "Paddy"-type change, where I think they put one in brackets.

My old flat mate did a "PRINCE GOODWILL UGO"-type change and had to do a deed poll and get it registered in the High(?) Court.

A deed poll is merely a witnessed piece of paper saying "Patrick" is now know as "Paddy". In many situations it isn't necessary, but banks and the like will often insist.

Advertisement