Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reseal??

• 28-03-2008 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

I'm wondering whether a complete reseal or just patching certain areas of the van is the best option... After 16 years of outdoor life, I notice that some of the seal is looking the worse for wear and I'm concerned that in the coming years the van may develop leaks... whats the best option.. buy some silkaflex, dig out the old seal where it looks worst and fill in, or have the whole van resealed (an expensive option???)

Chris

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Never touch a running system ...:D

If it's not leaking yet, I wouldn't do a re-seal. Because if you were to do that, you'd have to take off all the edge profiles, clean them of all residue of the old sealant and then put them on again with new sealant. In addition to that, some of the edge profiles contain special internal rubber seals which will most likely get damaged during dismantling and may not be availble new anymore ...you might make things worse.

There is a company in Germany (http://www.kodiak-mobil.de/html/beschichtung_kabinen.html) who leave the seals as they are and put an extra wide and strong polyurethane edge profile over it. This is hot-formed and more or less welded on and forms a tight new seal around everything. This is the only option I would consider, if I had to.
    G-DSC01529_Kopie.jpgBeschicht-2.jpg

What you can do though, is to get yourself some Sikaflex (or better Dekalin) and go over your existing seals and remove any and all dirt and moss and then apply a fresh bead over all areas that look like water might get under them. This will look not pretty and isn't 100% guaranteed to work, but it comforts the worried owner :D (did that myself)

Pay special attention to all seals that were applied to rooflights and any and all fixing holes (chimneys, roof carriers, bike carriers, antennas, sattelite dishes, etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I'm looking into the same at the moment having already discovered a couple of small leaks on a 5 yr old motorhome. Having spoken to a person who does this on a daily basis he recommends cleaning the area with acetone (test area first for reaction), mask both sides with masking tape and use something like silcaflex. Don't use silicone based sealant..
    As peasant says avoid removing the edge profiles if possible.
    Peasant, I haven't come across Dekalin, any idea where I can get this?

On the subject of leaks & damp, I've been using one of those cheap damp checkers available from ebay/lidl. While they do work I recently had an expert run his meter over my motorhome and he revealed a few more problems than expected. Around the Seitz windows revealed some problems, on the exterior he pointed a tiny gap behind windows, left alone water/frost will expand these joints.
    I'm planning to check/seal joints and return to get a full damp check in a few weeks time. Hopefully results will be more positive.

stapeler wrote: »
    Peasant, I haven't come across Dekalin, any idea where I can get this?

I got it via my parents and a German camping shop.

The softer, permanently flexible Sikaflex compound (there are hundreds) will do the job as well ...just if anyone comes across Dekalin by chance ...get some

I can also recommend this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055049706&highlight=cover

It's survived the second stormy winter now and has kept the van nice and dry.

Seems like a good idea but not cheap.
    I have all the materials for a lean too so I think that will be my next project. Only problem is finding the time....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 superman2

A word of warning to all Hymer Owners from around 1996 onwards Where the front and rear Fibreglass Caps are joined there is a T seal which is visable. Please make sure that water dose not enter here. The seal runs from the edge of the roof across the top and down the other sides.
    This moulding is held in with a strong bonding sealer, it can be caught on a bush on the road, so Keep an eye on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

I read on another motorhome forum about this product - www.captaintolley.com

Anyone else tried this??

Theres also another similar product here - http://www.western-marine.com/page89.htm#ccure

Chris

I'm in the middle of resealing my motorhome at the minute and only came across it last night. The reviews seem quiet good and it could be worth a try for a troublesome leak. I'm sticking with the sikaflex for the moment and Im off to get a couple of tubes in the next few minutes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

stapeler wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of resealing my motorhome at the minute and only came across it last night. The reviews seem quiet good and it could be worth a try for a troublesome leak. I'm sticking with the sikaflex for the moment and Im off to get a couple of tubes in the next few minutes....

Where are you buying the sikaflex?

WWW.MaynoothMotorhomes.com just back from there with my few tubes and my Fenwicks wash, Gerry is the man to talk to. He's just stocking his new shop and has everything. He did a windscreen for me last week and really sound chap to deal with. Shop should be open next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

I got the captain tolleys - seems like a very watery pva solution - but I've gone ahead and treated all my seals with it.

Cheap & simple to administer - just hoping it does a reasonable job.

Chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭walter sobchak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Silkaflex can be bought in Charles Camping in Blessington Co. Wicklow.

Bido:)

Advertisement