Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test

Options
  • 28-03-2008 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hello,

I've gotten a PS3 to work wirelessly (finally!!) with BT Broadband (ZyXEL Prestige 623r-t1 modem/router --> ASUS WL520g AP/router/switch) but I'd just like to confirm a point from the reading up I've had to do in the process...

...just to explain, in the ASUS WiFi settings the final act that allowed the PS3 fully onto the internet was to set WEP encryption to NONE and have only WPA-PSK authentication with AES (changed from TKIP) enabled.

What I'd like to check is that WPA-PSK (with AES) fully replaces the WEP encryption and that switching the WEP setting to NONE doesn't, in fact, lower the security (but probably increases it, WEP being defeatable it seems).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭MrAbc

I had originally (heh, up to last week!) assumed that having WPA-PSK (with TKIP then) enabled *AND* having WEP encryption set to "WEP 64-bit" that together it was more and so better, surely. But now I have the idea that the WEP encryption was superfluous and only a potential weakness... in particular that the laptops (WinXP) were actually ignoring it and just using the settings put into them (WPA-PSK + TKIP).

Is this thinking correct??

Thanks in advance for some final clarity :)

NB To help others I should prob recount some of the saga for the Playstation page on boards.ie too, but, just to mention here, the PS3 would get further along in trying to connect when set to use WEP (and given the WPA-PSK password key!!)[Resulted in DNS Error 80710102] than when set to use WPA-PSK (TKIP) when it refused to do anything[Connection error 8013031A]

WHY can't i post the above 2 parts in one single msg.

It just won't work for me!!! Tried using (usual) Firefox, tried IE, tried Opera!!! NOTHING, NADA, NO-GO :-(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Hello MrAbc. There is a charactor limit per post (800 iirc). I don't think you've reached it though:

I've gotten a PS3 to work wirelessly (finally!!) with BT Broadband (ZyXEL Prestige 623r-t1 modem/router --> ASUS WL520g AP/router/switch) but I'd just like to confirm a point from the reading up I've had to do in the process...

...just to explain, in the ASUS WiFi settings the final act that allowed the PS3 fully onto the internet was to set WEP encryption to NONE and have only WPA-PSK authentication with AES (changed from TKIP) enabled.

What I'd like to check is that WPA-PSK (with AES) fully replaces the WEP encryption and that switching the WEP setting to NONE doesn't, in fact, lower the security (but probably increases it, WEP being defeatable it seems).

I had originally (heh, up to last week!) assumed that having WPA-PSK (with TKIP then) enabled *AND* having WEP encryption set to "WEP 64-bit" that together it was more and so better, surely. But now I have the idea that the WEP encryption was superfluous and only a potential weakness... in particular that the laptops (WinXP) were actually ignoring it and just using the settings put into them (WPA-PSK + TKIP).

Thanks in advance for some final clarity

NB To help others I should prob recount some of the saga for the Playstation page on boards.ie too, but, just to mention here, the PS3 would get further along in trying to connect when set to use WEP (and given the WPA-PSK password key!!)[Resulted in DNS Error 80710102] than when set to use WPA-PSK (TKIP) when it refused to do anything[Connection error 8013031A]

Test again here....

Thanks in advance for some final clarity

Hmmmm... baffling. Didn't change anything since last time.

Anyway, all good so. Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

xccsdddd

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement