Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning Possible Bug or Spyware

Options
  • 28-03-2008 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Do not not use the link on my posting in For Sale/Wanted Competition prizes there is a bug or spy-ware on the link. It will access your address book and send advertisement to all the people on your address book..

I have removed the link and advised the Admin to remove the Thread.

Michael O'Connor
    Secretary to Dublin Target Sports Club

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

There sure is....it's a key logger but your anti virus software should pick it up.

Do a scan straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

There sure is....it's a key logger but your anti virus software should pick it up.

Do a scan straight away!

Pullandbang can one trace where it came from. My friends virus checker picked up a Trojan horse the other day and he deleted it and thought everything was OK.

I have sent a warning to all my friends that were in my address book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sikamick wrote: »

Pullandbang can one trace where it came from. My friends virus checker picked up a Trojan horse the other day and he deleted it and thought everything was OK.

Not usually. Mostly you know where you've picked up something because you remember when you've done something stupid :)

Clicking links on spam mails, opening web pages with multiple pop-ups, downloading something that's too good to be true (it usually is) the list is endless but the results are always the same :mad:

If you have the patience and a computer that you're willing to risk, you can try and analyse the code in the virus and see where your data is being directed, but it usually doesn't help much because the domain is disposable and usually in a jurisdiction that doesn't give a fiddlers about such things.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Sikamick wrote: »

rrpc is right. You can't usually trace them and if you do it's usually a waste of time. Best solution is good up to date anti virus software. Mine picked it up straight away, immunised it, quarantined it, dipped it in Dettol, gave it a good hiding and dumped it in the bin :)

Where on earth did you come across that site in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Bmark

If you do get any spyware on your PC download Spybot Search & Destroy - its free to download and catches everything- it caught some crap on my pc that Norton completely missed !!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Bmark wrote: »
    If you do get any spyware on your PC download Spybot Search & Destroy - its free to download and catches everything- it caught some crap on my pc that Norton completely missed !!;)
    If Norton was a target shooter, it would fire first and then decide which range it was shooting on.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Bmark

rrpc wrote: »
    If Norton was a target shooter, it would fire first and then decide which range it was shooting on.:eek:

True! i wouldn't mind but it cost a couple of hundred quid!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

rrpc is right. You can't usually trace them and if you do it's usually a waste of time. Best solution is good up to date anti virus software. Mine picked it up straight away, immunised it, quarantined it, dipped it in Dettol, gave it a good hiding and dumped it in the bin :)
    Where on earth did you come across that site in the first place?

I thought a friend had sent it, but he had been whacked as well.

Thanks for the advice.

Michael O'Connor
    Secretary to Dublin Target Sports Club

Advertisement