Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which do I play first?

Options
  • 28-03-2008 3:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I never really got into FF, but I've been thinking maybe I will get some on emulation now.

I guess I should start at 7.
    I played 8 for a bit when it came out on my housemates playstation, the magic was a little complicated, is it easy to pick up eventually?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The junction system in 8 takes a little getting used to but once you get the hang of it you'll be fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd start with VI, VII or X since they are by far the best in the series. FFVIII isn't a great game at all and is quite complicated for a newcomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

I'd agree with retr0 but i'd swap vI for IX (purely because i haven't played VI)

I'd say its a good idea to start as early as you have (i.e start with VI if VI is the first one you have) That way you won't have to step backwards in terms of aesthetics and can concentrate on gameplay and storyline rather than how X looks way better than VII.

Wherever you start though they're great games and all have some uniqe and great points about threm.

P.s Avoid 10-2 like the plague. It is absolute ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 J.L.

I like the style better of 7 & 8, but 9 looks like its made better.

X looks great, but is there a PC version??
    Plus, I heard the voice over isnt fast forwardable, and I'm very impatient LOL
    I already got angry in 8 because the spells take so long, and you have to cast about 100 of them in a row and keep seeing the same 15 second animation!

Maybe I'll go with 9.
    What do you think?

Im playing oldschool-style Last Scenario now anyway, so I wont get started for a while LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I would say even though 9 is not the best, it's probably a good one to start with because it has old-school charm and is the most polished of the ps1 iterations. It also has a really enjoyable and addictive card mini-game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

VII or IX

I'd prefer to play X, but I have no PS2.
    Why the hell won't they release it on PC?
    Its like 7 years old???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

J.L. wrote: »
    I'd prefer to play X, but I have no PS2.
    Why the hell won't they release it on PC?
    Its like 7 years old???

No market for it. FFVII and FFVIII didn't sell very well on PC. PC gamers are more into their western RPGs which are more like dungeons and dragons and less linear.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

The FFVII and VIII port to PC is pretty bad, specially if you like your fmvs. Id recommend trying to borrow PS2 off a mate and playing FFX, ive played VII-XII and found it to be the best (although the spear system was a bit stupid ¬_¬). VII is good for beginniners too because the materia system is very easy to use ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 83,247 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Id honestly start with 7. Dont wanna hear complaints about the graphics either: yes they are extremely dated, but it is still the best Final Fantasy game of them all.

• Advertisement

I started VII already, so I'll see how we go.

I would rather play X, but I'll get a PS2 off someone after this if I like it.

So are there no FMV sequences on the PC version?????
    Thats wrong.

I got the 'Ultima' edition, I dunno what the diff is. No CD's for one.

There's 3 things wrong with the PC version. Firstly for some reason texture quality seems to be significantly reduced in some places especially the world map.

Secondly all the backgrounds and FMV were rendered in 320x240 for the PS1. It would be far too much hassle to render them up to higher resolution for a PC port so they are kept at this resolution. 320x240 was fine on the PS1 through a CRT since it had it's own natural anti aliasing and blurring effect but the low resolution is really noticable on any high res PC monitor.

Lastly the music doesn't sound as good through PC sound hardware as it does through the native PS1 hardware. The PS1 seems to use different midi instruments than the PC so it sounds a little off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Lastly the music doesn't sound as good through PC sound hardware as it does through the native PS1 hardware. The PS1 seems to use different midi instruments than the PC so it sounds a little off.
    As bad as the sound...sounded, i cant help but loving even the pc midi versions of that soundtrack. Was a truly fantastic ost.

Kiith wrote: »
    As bad as the sound...sounded, i cant help but loving even the pc midi versions of that soundtrack. Was a truly fantastic ost.

True both games have amazing soundtracks.

I also probably came across as overly harsh on the PC versions but none of the things mentioned are even close to game killing flaws. I think the conversions biggest sin is that One Winged Angel from FFVII isn't in the PC version (could be wrong there, although if it is in it it will be a midi version and be missing the chorus over the track which is what makes it so good).

As a new comer to FFVII i didnt want anything to do with that tinny music! :eek:

I hate midi fullstop. Let my own music play.

On the 'Ultima' edition it runs on 640 res, and it is much smoother than the PS1 version, can't say about the FMV though.

As a new comer to FFVII i didnt want anything to do with that tinny music! :eek:

I hate midi fullstop. Let my own music play.

You're missing out. The soundtracks are one of the best things about the Final Fantasy games and and loads of atmosphere despit not being CD quality.
    On the 'Ultima' edition it runs on 640 res, and it is much smoother than the PS1 version, can't say about the FMV though.

It may run at 640x480 but all the background 2D tiles and FMV are still rendered in 320x240. The battle scenes are however significantly better looking.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You're missing out. The soundtracks are one of the best things about the Final Fantasy games and and loads of atmosphere despit not being CD quality.

YEah, that was ten years ago.
    They just give me a headache now LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

I think between VII to IX was final fantasy game music at its best (havnt played any of them before VII).

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

IX sucks.

Go with VI, VII, VIII.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mralanduggan

O.K i have to say start with VII simply because its the best game i have ever played...

ever...

in my opinion 10 is a bit too fancy...

i like the old school look of 7 & 8...

even though 8 isnt a big fav with myself...

10-2 is total rubbish..never play it ever..its muck! 9 is alright but the main character isnt quite up to cloud and squall...

Trust me though you will love any of these games... but i would stand by VII as the best of the lot... fantastic story great characters... and the fmvs are class even now never mind 10 years ago...

• Advertisement
Advertisement