Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Willy No Mates

• 28-03-2008 3:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

So today I read this about Arsenal captain William Gallas -
    Arsenal captain William Gallas has revealed he has no "mates" at the Emirates. "They are more like acquaintances," he said. "Really, it's the guys at [former club] Chelsea. It always gives me pleasure to see them again." (The Independent)

I'm sure his comments have been taken out of context somewhat but I believe that there is a fire with this smoke.

Basically I'm wondering what your feelings are on the role of a captain. It kind of stems from the discussion on Rio Ferdinand as England captain but I'm more looking at the bigger picture here. Is it important for a captain to be 'one of the lads' or should they be on a pedestal above everyone else in order to command the respect that the role deserves?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Apart from that minor incident at Birmingham, Gallas has been exemplary as captain...

Captains shouldnt be too buddy with players, when some are as bad as Theo, Diaby, Eboue etc...

He speaks the truth and I guess some of the Arsenal guys dont like the truth...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

I didn't like his comments on walcott. Thought it was the wrong thing to say about an 18 year old in a paper, reminded me very much of keane (who got let go and rightly lashed out of it) when he layed into smith etc after boro game.

Personally never liked him, comes across as arrogrant. On appearances I certainly wouldn't choice him as a captain but then again who else do arsenal have. Cesc is too young imo, Toure would be next i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Gallas has been good for Arsenal all season to be fair to him, he has had a bit of a wobble lately but dont go overboard. i think Toure would be a more natural choice for captain but maybe Gallas is more vocal then him? other then that who are you gonna look to for leadership? Gilberto Silva seems to have lost everything he had last season unfortunatly. i really thought he was doing a great job as skipper but then Wenger handed the armband to Gallas, think it affected Gilberto adversly. then he couldnt get back in the team. sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

With comments like this I'd be surpsied if he had any mates at all!

I think being handed the armband went to his head and he thinks he is better than everyone else on the team. Toure should have been made captain, not someone who had just come to the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I know from journo friends that alot of the comments like this are both out of context and often designed to unsettle. They see a weakness and they try inflame it to get a story.

I believe there are also Journalists in the english media who use their articles to try unsettle players in rivals teams. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I know from journo friends that alot of the comments like this are both out of context and often designed to unsettle. They see a weakness and they try inflame it to get a story.

I believe there are also Journalists in the english media who use their articles to try unsettle players in rivals teams. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case here.

Journalists making up comments to get a good story? How dare you! Journalism is the most honest profession around

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Journalists making up comments to get a good story? How dare you! Journalism is the most honest profession around

I've dated a few journos, I know thats an outright lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

You haven't dated this one :cool:

But seriously, I know what you're saying. Quite often it's 2 + 2 = 5. I pretty much said that in my OP -
    I'm sure his comments have been taken out of context somewhat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

A few?!?!?! did you not learn from your mistakes after the first one?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

A source of mine has told me that his teamtalks are indecipherable. Like this dude.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=F3MA9m9_FJQ

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You haven't dated this one :cool:

You're a journo? :mad:

/sharpens axe

[jameshayes]A few?!?!?! did you not learn from your mistakes after the first one?!?! [/quote]

They're good at lying, they made me thing it was me..... *sniff*

/runs to PI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

AFAIK, those comments were about english teammates

he was asked about his english teammamtes at arsenal and sure there are damn all there. He was also talking about his ex-english teammates at chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Well considering the only two English members of the first team squad are Walcott and Hoyte and they are considerably younger than Gallas, they are hardly going to be best buds with Gallas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I believe the question related to English players, if you read the full interview he refers to Theo being the only English player at Arsenal and at Chelsea their is Terry, Lampard etc..

Sorry just seen this point has already been made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Galvasean wrote: »
    Well considering the only two English members of the first team squad are Walcott and Hoyte and they are considerably younger than Gallas, they are hardly going to be best buds with Gallas.

aye thats what i meant, but sure the press made a big deal of it

Advertisement