Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike stand for bike shed

Options
  • 28-03-2008 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭

My kind employer has agreed to my requests to put in bike shed into the car park, so bikes will be under cover and securely locked. WooHoo!

They are looking at different options for the stands, so I wonder if any of the wise people on this forum would have any advise as to the best design of stand. They have shown me a couple of stands from catalogues which didn't hugely impress me, as it was basically just a diagonal frame into which the bike wheel would slot, so it could be difficult to ensure that the bike frame is secured.

The attached photo shows a bike stand I noticed at UCD recently, with a large thumb-shaped stand to which the bike can be attached.

Any suggestions about types of locking stand or sources for these stands would be most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

We have the same stands in work without the thumb bit. The shed is locked with a swipe-card access which helps. but what most of us do is to put the bike allongside the wheel mount, rather than into the wheel mount (the stand needs to be far enough away from the wall to allow the bike to run past the stand) and then you can go through the read triangle and wheel to the bike stand. The pedals keep it supported on the two adjacent wheel mounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Thanks Ken. Am I right in thinking that only a few bikes can be placed alongside the wheelmount, i.e. the ones at the ends of the row of wheelmounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Well you'd get about half as many bikes as there are wheelmounts I suppose. I'll try to remember to take a picture next week if I can. Some of the lads with cheaper bikes just use the wheelmounts as designed. The more expensive bikes (typically racers) do as I describe. As long as the rack is not jampacked you can get into the ones in the middle easy enough

Advertisement