Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking the plunge and giving up

Options
  • 28-03-2008 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭

Ok, ive finally decided to really give up the smokes and im going to start on Sunday. Ive tried cold turkey,patches and the gum and none of them have worked. Following several reports ive heard I went to the doctor and got a prescription for champix. I know it can have nasty side effects but to be honest im prepared to put up with if it really works.

However after reading several threads on here im not sure if I have gotten the right prescription. The prescription the doctor gave me says "two week starter pack" but what from ive read on here it looks like some people have been taking it for over a month. Do I need to get a month's prescription or will I just get this prescription and after the two weeks if i feel i need more get another prescription? Im not too heavy a smoker, 10 a day weekdays and 20 at the weekend.

Also if anybody has tried champix could they give me their experiences (good or bad) so I know what lies ahead of me. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Im on the Champix for a month now. First things first, you should have got a repete prescription. You will need more than the starter pack, i am on my second pack (months supply) but i am off the somkes a month now so im not getting any more.
    Yes they do help, but its hard to explain how the neuro-chemical reaction effects your desire to stop. I can only say that i lost the desire for a smoke and i didnt get a hit off one as much. In a way i think it was a help in that it was another reason to stop, another cannon in the arsenal if you like.
    Side effects, yes there some but they affect people differently. I got off lightly compared to some posts/reports online, sleep disruption and crazy dreams. Its a small price to pay to get such a boost in giving up.
    By the way i used nicorette gum aswell because i still got cravings and these took away the worst of them.
    The Champix are well worth takeing but my advice is to consider them as an aid rather than a silver bulitt that will magicly make you stop smoking, you will need to work at yourself.
    Best of luck

Advertisement