Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Drivers Strike/March/Protest Today

• 28-03-2008 9:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

Heard on the radio that the Waterford Taxi Drivers are having a strike/protest/march this afternoon in the city - does anyone know the times and route planned for this as I have to pop in for a few bits later and could do with avoiding this ?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I wouldn't worry about it too much, There wont be to many taking part in this I'd imagine. It would be a terrible shame if they were to get there way in having Barronstrand street reopened for them.

I actually have to laugh when I hear about taxi drivers going out on strike. Its ironic alright that so many taxi drivers over the years decided to pass a picket in the Glass factory all those years ago and now they are out on strike themselves again.

One of the funniest things I remember was when a guy ordered a taxi and when the taxi arrived he refused to get into to it His exact words were " I ordered a cab not a scab"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

What do you suggest then Aquos. Do you want a taxi service or not ? Waterford Corporation are handing out taxi licenses hand over fist without providing the infrastructure to sustain them. There is space for what 20 cars tops at the various ranks and about 200 taxi's. Most of the taxi's won't even bother coming near town now and only work from the phones.

What Waterford Glass pickets have to do with taxi's is beyond me, but your derision is misdirected, taxi's unlike Waterford Crystal are a public service and regulated as such, they have no obligation to stop at a picket line, nor should they - if they want to ferry scabs in there, blame the scabs.

But the fact remains that we do not have the taxi service that we need in this town and the taxi's are well within their rights to protest, maybe barronstrand street is unrealistic but an alternative that works for the public must be offered. This has been going on 10 years now and no alternative solution has been offered by that inbred bunch of cretins and old boys club that is Waterford Corporation.

Of course all this will soon cease to be a problem, the town is dying anyway, pretty soon most of the action will be on the outer ring road or Ferrybank.

To answer the original question, no idea what time it is, possibly 12-2. However many taxi's will still be doing phone work for their regulars. As I understand it, most gave up on the town and the ranks a number of years ago and couldn't care less. They just will not go near the town on orders from their union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

I think you missed Aquos' point there , what he was saying is that they were'nt taxi drivers at the time of the strike but glass workers who passed the pickets and then some years later when they got their redundancy became taxi drivers but no matter where they work now are still scabs , and it is ironic that they want people in this city to support them !
    And if they want peoples support they should clean up themselves and their cars personal hygiene does'nt seem to be as high up on their list of priorities as re-opening Barronstrand St .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭twinkle77

just read on the RTE website that it is due to start at 1 p.m. and to last for a couple of hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Bugger, looks like ill run right into it then, if its bad ill park outside the town and walk in. Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    What do you suggest then Aquos. Do you want a taxi service or not ? Waterford Corporation are handing out taxi licenses hand over fist without providing the infrastructure to sustain them. There is space for what 20 cars tops at the various ranks and about 200 taxi's. Most of the taxi's won't even bother coming near town now and only work from the phones.

What Waterford Glass pickets have to do with taxi's is beyond me, but your derision is misdirected, taxi's unlike Waterford Crystal are a public service and regulated as such, they have no obligation to stop at a picket line, nor should they - if they want to ferry scabs in there, blame the scabs.

But the fact remains that we do not have the taxi service that we need in this town and the taxi's are well within their rights to protest, maybe barronstrand street is unrealistic but an alternative that works for the public must be offered. This has been going on 10 years now and no alternative solution has been offered by that inbred bunch of cretins and old boys club that is Waterford Corporation.

Of course all this will soon cease to be a problem, the town is dying anyway, pretty soon most of the action will be on the outer ring road or Ferrybank.

To answer the original question, no idea what time it is, possibly 12-2. However many taxi's will still be doing phone work for their regulars. As I understand it, most gave up on the town and the ranks a number of years ago and couldn't care less. They just will not go near the town on orders from their union.

The problem with Taxi drivers in this City is that they appear to think that the traffic laws do not apply to them - anywhere. Just look at the rank outside Dunne's Stores anyday. A system put in place to allow an orderly queue is constantly abused, with some drivers appearing to think it is acceptable for two or three cars to park on the corner as opposed to waiting their turn.

I hope the Guards keep ticketing them. Why should they be exampt from lawes which the rest of us have to obey? And if we don't we are fined.

I haven't the slightest bit of sympathy for them. Who the bloody hell do they think they are?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

Freddie59 wrote: »
    The problem with Taxi drivers in this City is that they appear to think that the traffic laws do not apply to them - anywhere. Just look at the rank outside Dunne's Stores anyday. A system put in place to allow an orderly queue is constantly abused, with some drivers appearing to think it is acceptable for two or three cars to park on the corner as opposed to waiting their turn.

I hope the Guards keep ticketing them. Why should they be exampt from lawes which the rest of us have to obey? And if we don't we are fined.

I haven't the slightest bit of sympathy for them. Who the bloody hell do they think they are?:mad:

hear hear,
    they have had it too good for years, why do you think there are so many taxi liscences around, before the meter's came in they could charge whatever they wanted and basically robbed people, now there are **** loads of taxis with metres and too many taxis on the road altogether,now they are not able to rob people anymore, so they are trying to sell their taxi plates, and surprise surprise, nobody wants to buy them, and why??? because there is not much money to be made in it anymore because the fare is metred !

they are finally getting their cummupins if you ask me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If they don;t like the rules of the road then they should get out of the business, its not acceptable for them to park on the corner stopping other traffic because they won't wait there turn for a space to be available,

There are other ranks in the town that never seem to have taxi's, perhaps they should use these, the council should not give in to these muppets and they should continue to be ticketted

Junkster, you are misguided to say the least. I think you need to do your homework or find another bandwagon to jump on. In the early 90's it was £3 to go anywhere in the town. The national union pushed to increase this to £4 and local taxis opposed it because they thought they would lose business. In other words Waterford drivers wanted to retain cheaper fares than Dublin, Cork etc.... When meters came in after der, they opposed again because they felt, correctly, that they would make the fares too expensive and lose business. Which is precisely what happened. Taxi drivers make MORE money as a result of the meters, up to 40% more per fare on average. What does affect income is too many taxis... and we are back to the original point of nowhere to put those taxi's during the day.

What has made the plates worthless is a combination of the corporation giving out far too many (with little to no background checks) ensuring that plenty of wee scumbags who ruin it for the decent folks are in the business, and also the practice of handing plates out for free to imigrants. I am all for integration and diversity, but for me that means treating everyone the same. I bet I wouldn't be given a free plate and car. But thats only a small bugbear as it only happens in certain circumstances. Regarding traffic laws, well most obey them, some don't and give the rest a bad name. Its called making generalisations.

Regarding traffic laws, well most obey them, some don't and give the rest a bad name. Its called making generalisations.

That is the biggest generalisation of all. Complete rubbish. The majority of the vehicles are either very old/very dirty. There are a small minority of drivers who keep their cars immaculate and are themselves presentable at all times. As for the rest of them.....

Yet you can go to Lanzarotte and there is a standard fare, standard taxis, and, above all, standard cleanliness. The local mob should take a lesson from them. And grow up for once in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I prefer metered systems, even tho I know they can be cheated but if your aware you wont get caught out. Taxi cars in Waterford are not the best, pretty poor standard. Can get some good cars but majority aint the best.

I agree that they should stick to the Rules of the Road though.

The cars are worse in Dublin. I was pretty stunned to see a 92 Citroen ZX and at least 3, 93 - 95 reg jap import Nissan Almera / Mazda 323. Disgraceful stuff. I also saw in Waterford today a Focus hatchback, which I didn't think was allowed...

New legislation effective shortly that the cars cannot be older than 7 (i think) years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

before the meter's came in they could charge whatever they wanted and basically robbed people

Some continue to do it even with meters.

Junkster, you are misguided to say the least. I think you need to do your homework or find another bandwagon to jump on. In the early 90's it was £3 to go anywhere in the town. The national union pushed to increase this to £4 and local taxis opposed it because they thought they would lose business. In other words Waterford drivers wanted to retain cheaper fares than Dublin, Cork etc.... When meters came in after der, they opposed again because they felt, correctly, that they would make the fares too expensive and lose business. Which is precisely what happened. Taxi drivers make MORE money as a result of the meters, up to 40% more per fare on average. What does affect income is too many taxis... and we are back to the original point of nowhere to put those taxi's during the day.

What has made the plates worthless is a combination of the corporation giving out far too many (with little to no background checks) ensuring that plenty of wee scumbags who ruin it for the decent folks are in the business, and also the practice of handing plates out for free to imigrants. I am all for integration and diversity, but for me that means treating everyone the same. I bet I wouldn't be given a free plate and car. But thats only a small bugbear as it only happens in certain circumstances. Regarding traffic laws, well most obey them, some don't and give the rest a bad name. Its called making generalisations.

you say i am misguided, do you think i make my point of view on the back of somebody spoon feeding me information, i have my own brain and i know im being ripped off when i see it, you say that the drivers make 40% more now than before the meter's came in, do you remember before the meter came in the nightime fare was 6.50, i live just outside the city centre, .5 of a mile to be exact,6.50 for a half mile trip, now you tell me who was shafting who back then, if i got in a car for a half mile journey he would be delighted for a handy 6.50, if i got in and told him i was going to dunmore, he would refuse to take me and make me go to an office and queue, the only reason i would use a taxi is because my partner's feet may be hurting her or something like that after a night out,id rather walk than give it to em, i understand that it may be your livelyhood and you have to try protect it, but the majority of people i spoke to about it yesterday(friday) have no compassion at all for the taxi drivers.
    and what about leaving everybody stranded last weekend with no notice whatsoever,what would have happened if there had been a sexual attack because of your actions,

why did ye not strike the following night and give people 24 hours notice so they are not stranded in town or so they can make alternative arrangements, the taxi drivers attitude stinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone know if its true about immigrants being given free taxi plates and cars?

Or is that just another story like the one where every black that came to Ireland got handed €10,000 for a car when they stepped off the boat at Rosslare?

Has anyone else noticed the amount of taxi's which now display "Irish Driver" signs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

snipped for content

and what about leaving everybody stranded last weekend with no notice whatsoever,what would have happened if there had been a sexual attack because of your actions,

why did ye not strike the following night and give people 24 hours notice so they are not stranded in town or so they can make alternative arrangements, the taxi drivers attitude stinks.

From what I heard on TodayFM, the 'strike' erupted after a Templemore rookie ticketed a taxi parked in a TAXI RANK !

from http://z3.invisionfree.com/Irish_Taxis/index.php?showtopic=358&st=0&#last

Anybody in Waterford throw any light on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The cars are worse in Dublin. I was pretty stunned to see a 92 Citroen ZX and at least 3, 93 - 95 reg jap import Nissan Almera / Mazda 323. Disgraceful stuff. I also saw in Waterford today a Focus hatchback, which I didn't think was allowed...

New legislation effective shortly that the cars cannot be older than 7 (i think) years.

Thats realy disgraceful, out of some 17000 taxis, that is a complete and utter outrage and as such should be brought to the attention of Bertie Ahern him self.....

BTW It's actualy 9 years and will only apply to taxis first licensed after 1st Jan 2009, licensed taxis prior to this can stay in use until the year 2012 ( as long as they are not sold ) before adopting the new age limits...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

you say i am misguided, do you think i make my point of view on the back of somebody spoon feeding me information, i have my own brain and i know im being ripped off when i see it, you say that the drivers make 40% more now than before the meter's came in, do you remember before the meter came in the nightime fare was 6.50, i live just outside the city centre, .5 of a mile to be exact,6.50 for a half mile trip, now you tell me who was shafting who back then, if i got in a car for a half mile journey he would be delighted for a handy 6.50, if i got in and told him i was going to dunmore, he would refuse to take me and make me go to an office and queue, the only reason i would use a taxi is because my partner's feet may be hurting her or something like that after a night out,id rather walk than give it to em, i understand that it may be your livelyhood and you have to try protect it, but the majority of people i spoke to about it yesterday(friday) have no compassion at all for the taxi drivers.

WELL DONE SIR, very good post and some great points.

ps Strikes can only work with public support and they're actions last saturday night loss alot of public support IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone know if its true about immigrants being given free taxi plates and cars?

Or is that just another story like the one where every black that came to Ireland got handed €10,000 for a car when they stepped off the boat at Rosslare?

Yes!

/slaps forehead in disbelif.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

Funny you should mention the glass factory, all the original taxi drivers came from the glass factory. took the redundancy and bought their own taxis. Jioned the scabs, poacher now gamekeeper. Mind you I unlike you was in the glass and it wasn't taxi drivers who were our problem. It was our own scabs crossing the pickets. The same people who probably today tell their kids about the unity on the picket line at the Glass factory. As for guys compairing irelands taxis industry to lanzarotte. firstly they dont own their licences and they cars are subsidised by their Government on condition they keep them for three years. I am sure If the same conditions applied here, where drivers could buy a luxury merc for the price of a fiesta, they would rather have the merc. As a guy who did a stint as a door man i have seen what gets into taxis outside our doors, idiots dribbling food and grease out of their mouths, knocking crap out of their girlfriends. You honestly think you could bring a bag of greace into a luxury merc in lanzarotte. As to the price comparison , how much will you pay on a house there compaired to here. Look i work in my industry, if i am not happy with the conditions, you can be sure i will protest, what idiot wouldn't. Just because these people are taxi drivers you find fault with them, well one of them happens to be my dad, he's fairly similar to other dads, but you who dont even know him already have an opinion on him. Thats not very intelligent. so take a look in the mirror

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

they way I see it is as follows in my unbiased opinion, Most of the taxi drivers in waterford are self employed.

Most other self employed people don't go on strike. if they don't like the industry/niche they are in, they either give up or go bust. I have never seen bakers , butcher , computer consultants, solicitors, etc etc strike

what makes a taxi driver different to the others? and what gives them the god given right (in their eyes) to dictate pedestrian areas that should be given over to their trade, I.E the motor car.

samsham wrote: »
    Funny you should mention the glass factory, all the original taxi drivers came from the glass factory. took the redundancy and bought their own taxis. Jioned the scabs, poacher now gamekeeper. Mind you I unlike you was in the glass and it wasn't taxi drivers who were our problem. It was our own scabs crossing the pickets. The same people who probably today tell their kids about the unity on the picket line at the Glass factory. As for guys compairing irelands taxis industry to lanzarotte. firstly they dont own their licences and they cars are subsidised by their Government on condition they keep them for three years. I am sure If the same conditions applied here, where drivers could buy a luxury merc for the price of a fiesta, they would rather have the merc. As a guy who did a stint as a door man i have seen what gets into taxis outside our doors, idiots dribbling food and grease out of their mouths, knocking crap out of their girlfriends. You honestly think you could bring a bag of greace into a luxury merc in lanzarotte. As to the price comparison , how much will you pay on a house there compaired to here. Look i work in my industry, if i am not happy with the conditions, you can be sure i will protest, what idiot wouldn't. Just because these people are taxi drivers you find fault with them, well one of them happens to be my dad, he's fairly similar to other dads, but you who dont even know him already have an opinion on him. Thats not very intelligent. so take a look in the mirror

this is no personal issue with any single taxi driver, im sure they are all nice people in their own right, it is their actions in their workplace and what they do when they come together as a unit that that really pisses people off, a friend of mine drives an 8 seater, even though he is a friend of mine, if he asked my opinion i would say to him the same as what i am saying here, so dont think that this is a dig at your dad on a personal level, that is not what people are getting at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

ive been speaking to the taxi drivers about this all week, i use them regularly due to work and distance involved, it seems to just be a certain cadre of drivers that stir the ****e constantly, i can see both sides of the argument, taxi drivers want a proper rank not just spaces here there and everywhere, and the punter out of luck cause these guys call a strike cause somebody farted in the wrong direction

It doesnt do the image of the taxi driver any good or to help there cause with the public by leaving out of town or even in the suburbs people stranded with no way to get home, i thought while they have a point that was just a big no no, customers should always be put first

Strikes official or unofficial are useless unless both parties are willing to sit down and talk the problem through, if not striking for striking sake is plain wrong and achieves nothing

Shin

shinzon wrote: »
    ive been speaking to the taxi drivers about thi all week, i use them regularly due to work and distance involved, it seems to just be a certain cadre of drivers that stir the ****e constantly, i can see both sides of the argument, taxi drivers want a proper rank not just spaces here there and everywhere, and the punter out of luck cause these guys call a strike cause somebody farted in the wrong direction

It doesnt do the image of the taxi driver any good or to help there cause wth the public by leaving out of town or even in the suburbs people stranded with no way to get home, i thought while they have a point that was just a big no no, customers should always be put first

Strikes official or unofficial are useless unless both parties are willing to sit down and talk the problem through, if not strking for strking sake is plain wrong and achieves nothing

Shin

They're using bully-boy tactics shin. Spoke to people who work in retail down there and they said the behaviour on Friday was appaling. Blowing horns continuously etc. The shop assistants couldn't even hear the customers.

Bloody idiots.:mad: There are a finite number of spaces. The number of cars outweigh them. Something familiar to the average motorist. If there is no place available you either go elsewhere or wait your turn. Like grown-ups do.
    Make Millers Marsh the taxi rank and don't let them park anywhere else. Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Is it not better for eveyone with a few spaces here and there though?

It means people don't have to go walking to get a taxi, or booking one by phone (which costs an extra €2)

And it means drivers can pull in without have to drive half way around the city to get back to their rank

Is it not better for eveyone with a few spaces here and there though?

It means people don't have to go walking to get a taxi, or booking one by phone (which costs an extra €2)

And it means drivers can pull in without have to drive half way around the city to get back to their rank

Not if it means the same drivers parking wherever they like, disobeying traffic laws, and causing an inconvenience to other motorists. Make them toe the line. It's about time someone had the balls to stand up to their childish tantrums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

I think the difference between self imployed people in general and taxi drivers is that taxi drivers and totally dependant on the good will of local authorities to provide spaces for them, A butcher or any other self employed person works from there premises on their terms, prices and conditions, If they were sold there shop with the condition that they shared it with another 362 butchers and can only use it when it becomes available. I think the butcher would lead a fairly miserable life. In fairness their arguement is there are fifteen rank spaces and 362 cars. the maths just doesent add. If city council state "we cant provide spaces for 362 cars, fair enough but what happens in two years time when 362 become 600, wont we all be in a far worse situation, we wont be able to get into our town centre with so many taxis. Remember 6 short years ago there was only 42 taxis in Waterford. I am not stupid and either is city hall they know the growing amount of taxis is a problem, If city hall admits a problem , I am sure taxis can see it too.

As to blowing horns i saw self imployed fishermen protesting on the suir last year going trough the citeis river blowing horns and on the ocasion we win in hurling the city comes alive in cars blowing horns, admit you problem is not with their issues but with your issues with them. As to not flaunting traffic laws, just go to any school at lunch hour, look at any disabled bay, were all fairly good at that. As too the suggestion they were bullied into protesting, you already stated their an aragant lot who obey no rules, who could force them to do anything? Also in relation to the pedestranised area, local retail outlets are complaining that the loss of traffic is leading to a loss of revenue in their area, city councilors have called for a debate on it. attack them. One further thing the ticket in question was issued to a Nigerian driver. the garda in question stated he wasn't on the rank, he protested he was. A union rep was called, then a garda superior was called, who confirmed he was on the rank, but was getting a ticket for not following the instruction of the initial garda. Confused!

samsham wrote: »
    I think the difference between self imployed people in general and taxi drivers is that taxi drivers and totally dependant on the good will of local authorities to provide spaces for them, A butcher or any other self employed person works from there premises on their terms, prices and conditions, If they were sold there shop with the condition that they shared it with another 362 butchers and can only use it when it becomes available. I think the butcher would lead a fairly miserable life. In fairness their arguement is there are fifteen rank spaces and 362 cars. the maths just doesent add. If city council state "we cant provide spaces for 362 cars, fair enough but what happens in two years time when 362 become 600, wont we all be in a far worse situation, we wont be able to get into our town centre with so many taxis. Remember 6 short years ago there was only 42 taxis in Waterford. I am not stupid and either is city hall they know the growing amount of taxis is a problem, If city hall admits a problem , I am sure taxis can see it too.

As to blowing horns i saw self imployed fishermen protesting on the suir last year going trough the citeis river blowing horns and on the ocasion we win in hurling the city comes alive in cars blowing horns, admit you problem is not with their issues but with your issues with them. As to not flaunting traffic laws, just go to any school at lunch hour, look at any disabled bay, were all fairly good at that. As too the suggestion they were bullied into protesting, you already stated their an aragant lot who obey no rules, who could force them to do anything? Also in relation to the pedestranised area, local retail outlets are complaining that the loss of traffic is leading to a loss of revenue in their area, city councilors have called for a debate on it. attack them. One further thing the ticket in question was issued to a Nigerian driver. the garda in question stated he wasn't on the rank, he protested he was. A union rep was called, then a garda superior was called, who confirmed he was on the rank, but was getting a ticket for not following the instruction of the initial garda. Confused!

Sam - because your Dad is a Taxi driver this doesn't automatically make him right. Yes I don't know him - but I've seen the bahaviour of him and his 'colleagues' in the past few days and that says it all. Some of what you say above has been pointed out by me in the past. I detest the parking situation at schools myself, and I would bundle it with the incomprehensible behaviour of these drivers in the past week.

Difference is that school times last about 10 minutes. Have you actually seen the situation outside Dunnes Stores recently? Taxis parked ON the footpath ON the corner - beause its driver is too impatient/ignorant to wait his turn and thus creates bays on the public footpath. It's ludicrous.

If the Garda says he wasn't in the rank, then he must not have been in it. End of story. Why have you brought the driver's nationality into the discussion? What has that got to do with anything?

The best (or worst) example of the antics of these idiots has to be John Street. Cars abandoned everywhere; standing in the middle of the road having a chat with other illegally-parked drivers. With complete disdain for other road users. And people wonder why no sympathy is forthcoming for them?

Make Millers Marsh the main Rank. When someone needs collecting at the actual ranks in town then dispatch the Taxis from the Millers Marsh main rank. And severely punish those who do not obey. Problem solved. But then these bozos will probably complain about being forced out of the City Centre. There's no winning with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I see on the WLR site that they are threatening to hold a similar protest every Friday and add an extra hour onto it each time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Let them off, they wont be long about losing what small support they have then.

Advertisement