Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Drivers Strike/March/Protest Today

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

samsham wrote: »
    I think the difference between self imployed people in general and taxi drivers is that taxi drivers and totally dependant on the good will of local authorities to provide spaces for them, A butcher or any other self employed person works from there premises on their terms, prices and conditions, If they were sold there shop with the condition that they shared it with another 362 butchers and can only use it when it becomes available. I think the butcher would lead a fairly miserable life. In fairness their arguement is there are fifteen rank spaces and 362 cars. the maths just doesent add. If city council state "we cant provide spaces for 362 cars, fair enough but what happens in two years time when 362 become 600, wont we all be in a far worse situation, we wont be able to get into our town centre with so many taxis. Remember 6 short years ago there was only 42 taxis in Waterford. I am not stupid and either is city hall they know the growing amount of taxis is a problem, If city hall admits a problem , I am sure taxis can see it too.

As to blowing horns i saw self imployed fishermen protesting on the suir last year going trough the citeis river blowing horns and on the ocasion we win in hurling the city comes alive in cars blowing horns, admit you problem is not with their issues but with your issues with them. As to not flaunting traffic laws, just go to any school at lunch hour, look at any disabled bay, were all fairly good at that. As too the suggestion they were bullied into protesting, you already stated their an aragant lot who obey no rules, who could force them to do anything? Also in relation to the pedestranised area, local retail outlets are complaining that the loss of traffic is leading to a loss of revenue in their area, city councilors have called for a debate on it. attack them. One further thing the ticket in question was issued to a Nigerian driver. the garda in question stated he wasn't on the rank, he protested he was. A union rep was called, then a garda superior was called, who confirmed he was on the rank, but was getting a ticket for not following the instruction of the initial garda. Confused!

how many butchers do you know that can drive their shop around town and pick up customers ! thats just a silly point of view that you made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Taxis have gotten a lot cheaper since the metering came in, at night anyway, never take them during the day as I have a car myself. It used to cost €12 for a taxi out to grannagh but since they became metered it costs less, I got one last sun and it only cost €9 with havin rang them to pick me up. Most taxi drivers these days are nice friendly people with clean cars, what's wrong with an old car anyway, as long as it's well maintained mechanically.

I think the city council really has to look at the amount of ranks available. There is no excuse for illegal parking and taxi drivers should not be abusing the laws. Although they are by far not the only ones, a huge amount of people park illegally in Waterford, you can never drive in the inside lane of the quay because of it. Half the city streets are barely passable due to people parking illegally. Not to mention people at the likes of Tescos parking in the drop down area. People bringing children to school in the morning are another problem, since when do all children get driven to school? What's happened to the buses and walking to school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

I brought the drivers Nationality into it because everyone is confused as to why three white drivers in front of him and two behind him didn't get tickets. Also to highlight the taxi drivers can't be as selfish as you think, they stood up for a guy who is only in the indusrty a few weeks. I think the taxi drivers would only have to point to the court section of the News and Star to see who the real traffic offenders are. I am looking now, No taxi drivers just us general public getting done for breaking traffic laws.

As to the notion taxis can drive around and pick up fares. Drive where? Do you honestly realize the size of our city centre. I see taxis at bus stations, and train stations even parked at student vilaages, a taxi office at Waterford shopping centre. If you ask me its you now who are being aragant. You trying to tell people who have been in the industry for 20 years you know better. I dont buy it. I rely on their experience before an armchair critic anytime. As to the strike on the Saturday Night. During that Strike Rapid cabs office was open at all times. They have 160 cars. Ring them if you want to confirm that. Dont always believe what you hear on the Billy Mac show. There were fifty cars out of 362 involved in the dispute that night.

As to taxi drivers loosing popular support. I Dont think they lose any sleep over it. In the march last year for cancer treatment at WRH only a few hundred of us marched. Despite the huge number of cancer victims in Waterford. Wateford people couldn't join their hands in prayer, never mind join in support of cancer victims let alone any other issue. You kidding yourselves if you think anybody cares. aparently last night taxi drivers had a very busy night. Nobody cared about last weeks action, just got their taxi as usual. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ8cIXW4p24&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Where is Millers Marsh ????

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Where is Millers Marsh ????

The Big car park at the back of Philly Grimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Or is that just another story like the one where every black that came to Ireland got handed €10,000 for a car when they stepped off the boat at Rosslare?

thats actually true as i recall cilla black got a pleasant surprise when she got the ferry over for a fortnights holiday

might want to merge this thread with the "is waterford racist" thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

By the way, I am not actually a taxi driver, just passing on what I heard from a family member who is, which may or may not be true or accurate because some of that is secondhand, thats the beauty of the web, any moron like us can spend their spare time talking out their exhaust pipe about things we know nothing about. I am just a wee bit bored of the bi-annual, taxi drivers are evil threads. 2 weeks ago one was being cannonised after returning an iphone. This weekend they are all smelly scabs and conmen with no regard for the laws of the land.

Meh, can we do traffic wardens instead ? They haven't had a go in a while. Actually no, doormen, lets do doormen its been weeks since they were given a hard time and what about the support/sales staff in PCWorld/NTL etc.... Yawn.

If that non-national got ticketed with white drivers surrounding him getting away scot free then that is ridiculous unless there was some previous (e.g. a warning given to that specific driver by that Garda or something). But even at that the Garda needs to be sent on some diversity training asap. Surely in this day and age that cannot be true could it ? There must be more to it than that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Let them off, they wont be long about losing what small support they have then.

agreed, bus eireann and others can put on extra buses and make a killing and in the long term they'll affect the taxi's bottom line when people realise how much their paying over the odds for taxi's.

Lets hope this goes on for weeks because no right minded average joe will support them anymore if it does :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    If that non-national got ticketed with white drivers surrounding him getting away scot free then that is ridiculous unless there was some previous (e.g. a warning given to that specific driver by that Garda or something). But even at that the Garda needs to be sent on some diversity training asap. Surely in this day and age that cannot be true could it ? There must be more to it than that.

Its pure speculation, unless somebody has actual solid proof of this then I would recommend they keep such comments to themselfs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I brought the drivers Nationality into it because everyone is confused as to why three white drivers in front of him and two behind him didn't get tickets. Also to highlight the taxi drivers can't be as selfish as you think, they stood up for a guy who is only in the indusrty a few weeks. I think the taxi drivers would only have to point to the court section of the News and Star to see who the real traffic offenders are. I am looking now, No taxi drivers just us general public getting done for breaking traffic laws.

As to the notion taxis can drive around and pick up fares. Drive where? Do you honestly realize the size of our city centre. I see taxis at bus stations, and train stations even parked at student vilaages, a taxi office at Waterford shopping centre. If you ask me its you now who are being aragant. You trying to tell people who have been in the industry for 20 years you know better. I dont buy it. I rely on their experience before an armchair critic anytime. As to the strike on the Saturday Night. During that Strike Rapid cabs office was open at all times. They have 160 cars. Ring them if you want to confirm that. Dont always believe what you hear on the Billy Mac show. There were fifty cars out of 362 involved in the dispute that night.

As to taxi drivers loosing popular support. I Dont think they lose any sleep over it. In the march last year for cancer treatment at WRH only a few hundred of us marched. Despite the huge number of cancer victims in Waterford. Wateford people couldn't join their hands in prayer, never mind join in support of cancer victims let alone any other issue. You kidding yourselves if you think anybody cares. aparently last night taxi drivers had a very busy night. Nobody cared about last weeks action, just got their taxi as usual. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ8cIXW4p24&feature=related

What utter b******s. The papers tell who the real offenders are? The only reason the Taxi mob aren't in there is because the laws weren't being enforced. Now that they are they're up in arms. Go for it Gardai!:D

Your comments about Waterford people adequately display the contempt in which you - and others like you - hold them. So we - your customers - are armchair critics because we obey the laws which Taxi drivers think do not apply to them? Well done. You've justy proven the case against the Taxi drivers.;)

• Advertisement

I'm curious, now that I have a car can I not park it on a taxi rank if there's no carpark spaces near by, surely its ok to do this when Taxi drivers park on footpaths and double yellow lines when there isn't enough rank space.

Sure if I get a ticket I can bitch and moan about how the Gov/County Council isn't helping me with more carpark spaces....surely it's all ok to do this :)

After watching that youtube video I find it amusing when it says "Taxi proves there are to many taxis in the city", well its great that they know this...now perhaps a few of them will quit there jobs so the remaining taxi drivers can make a better living :)

Of course the comment is bollox because the strike is not a realistic example of how many taxi's are on the roads on a daily basis, Taxi drivers work on shifts and because of that not all taxi drivers will ever be on the road at the same time, as such the city is well able to manage the current amount of taxi drivers unless they act the bollox like the did on Friday.

May I suggest they also use other ranks that are available, there's a rank down at the apple market thats hardly ever used but yet it would be very useful for people on Friday's and Saturdays as it would save them walking up to Dunnes during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Most career cabbies would work 70hrs a week. But there are those also who just turn out for peak times at the weekends. The majority of cabs these days have to join an office which is expensive but in general it means that you avoid having to use the ranks. The cabbie I know only does phone work through the office and for his regulars. Good cabbies who don't rip you off and are reliable tend to build up a pool of regulars who will specifically ask for them at the office, or more often just get the drivers personal number and skip using the office for fear of what might be sent out to them instead !

Cabaals comment that not that many drivers are in operation at any given time is correct, particularly during midweek when maybe only a third or so of taxis are actually available.

The problem with the other ranks, such as the apple market which only picks up really at night is not the taxi drivers unwillingness to use it, but rather the publics unwillingness to go there when they can get a cab right outside the door of city square (which brings us back to Waterford people liking to be delivered to the shop door and not wanting to walk anywhere as brought up on a previous thread). In reality, if a taxi has to rely on the ranks, they are not going to make too much of a living on that, so for those too tight fisted to join an office, going to the apple market will further limit income.

It probably wouldn't be such a problem in other towns where people don't mind walking 200 yards ! If that Bowery complex opens though, you will see taxis parked on top of each other trying to get onto the apple market rank, just like you do at 2am on a saturday night !

They could always remove all the public parking around Arundel Square effectivley turning that whole street, both sides into a rank, even at that there would still be complaints. But the few cars parked there could easily go to city square or the quay. The shoppers from Barronstrand St and City Square would be serviced by taxis and wouldn't have to make the "agonising" 2 minute walk to the apple market, whilst rank capacity would be maybe doubled. Even at that there would still be complaints though.

Cast your minds back to when Broad St was still a rank on both sides, cars used to double park, and park around the corner at the cinema... I think the town is just too small for the amount of licenses given out. You would think that competition would help to weed out the chaff, but it tends to fuel anti-competitiveness. E.g. You cannot make a living on the rank, not if you have a mortgage anyway, so you need to join an office, if you are joining an office you need to join Rapidcabs as they are the largest with the most work (some smaller offices have a strong clientbase too but don't take in too many drivers to protect the livelihoods of the ones they have, this usually ends in longer wait times, which causes customers to go to rapid and rightly so, the smaller office starts to struggle and eventually rapid will buy them all out. Which is their owners stated aim, to create a monopoly in Waterford.)

I don't think there will ever be a solution, this thing comes up every couple of years and has done since the 80's when they used to park outside pennys and there was only 38 of them.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Most career cabbies would work 70hrs a week. But there are those also who just turn out for peak times at the weekends. The majority of cabs these days have to join an office which is expensive but in general it means that you avoid having to use the ranks. The cabbie I know only does phone work through the office and for his regulars. Good cabbies who don't rip you off and are reliable tend to build up a pool of regulars who will specifically ask for them at the office, or more often just get the drivers personal number and skip using the office for fear of what might be sent out to them instead !

Yeah I gathered this, I have to say there are some nice taxi drivers out there that will actually remember your name and are a pleasure to deal with but on the other side of the coin there are some scumbags out there that in my view should not be dealing with the general public and in particular women (based on comments I've heard them say).

However no matter how nice anybody is the law still applys to them and that doesn't mean they can park on footpaths etc, they may not agree with the way things are setup but thats the way its happening and nobody likes change.
    Cabaals comment that not that many drivers are in operation at any given time is correct, particularly during midweek when maybe only a third or so of taxis are actually available.

The problem with the other ranks, such as the apple market which only picks up really at night is not the taxi drivers unwillingness to use it, but rather the publics unwillingness to go there when they can get a cab right outside the door of city square (which brings us back to Waterford people liking to be delivered to the shop door and not wanting to walk anywhere as brought up on a previous thread). In reality, if a taxi has to rely on the ranks, they are not going to make too much of a living on that, so for those too tight fisted to join an office, going to the apple market will further limit income.

So it boils down to Taxi drivers not willing to spend money that would improve on there income?

Maybe if they tried filling the rank at the apple market for awhile we could see if people used it, there's been plenty of times were myself and the gf have had to walk up past the apple market in the pouring rain to get a taxi because:
    1. none on any of the ranks
    2. one wouldn't stop for us
    They could always remove all the public parking around Arundel Square effectivley turning that whole street, both sides into a rank, even at that there would still be complaints. But the few cars parked there could easily go to city square or the quay. The shoppers from Barronstrand St and City Square would be serviced by taxis and wouldn't have to make the "agonising" 2 minute walk to the apple market, whilst rank capacity would be maybe doubled. Even at that there would still be complaints though.

Removing all parking bays from that area isn't do-able, they are required by business and deliverys, the taxi's drivers very easily think of themselfs in this situation when in reality there are other partys involved in all this
    Cast your minds back to when Broad St was still a rank on both sides, cars used to double park, and park around the corner at the cinema... I think the town is just too small for the amount of licenses given out. You would think that competition would help to weed out the chaff, but it tends to fuel anti-competitiveness. E.g. You cannot make a living on the rank, not if you have a mortgage anyway, so you need to join an office, if you are joining an office you need to join Rapidcabs as they are the largest with the most work (some smaller offices have a strong clientbase too but don't take in too many drivers to protect the livelihoods of the ones they have, this usually ends in longer wait times, which causes customers to go to rapid and rightly so, the smaller office starts to struggle and eventually rapid will buy them all out. Which is their owners stated aim, to create a monopoly in Waterford.)

If people are unhappy with what there getting paid then its worth looking for another job,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Cabaal wrote: »
    After watching that youtube video I find it amusing when it says "Taxi proves there are to many taxis in the city", well its great that they know this...now perhaps a few of them will quit there jobs so the remaining taxi drivers can make a better living :)

Of course the comment is bollox because the strike is not a realistic example of how many taxi's are on the roads on a daily basis, Taxi drivers work on shifts and because of that not all taxi drivers will ever be on the road at the same time, as such the city is well able to manage the current amount of taxi drivers unless they act the bollox like the did on Friday.

Add to that, there were a number of them which weren't even from Waterford. At least the media say that ones came from Cork and such. They certainly aren't in Waterford on a daily basis.

Its very clear that the Taxi drivers are afraid of people's comments
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXRzzX2Jek8 = Adding comments has been disabled for this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW7VsB3jPH0 = Adding comments has been disabled for this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uErcZtpoY0 = Adding comments has been disabled for this video.

I find the Waterford taxi protest easter weekend video very amusing because it states, the Gardai were driving their van at taxi drivers and various other stuff, yet the clip is full clips of two gardai which is the same 1 clip played atleast three-four times and it shows no van driving at taxi drivers or anything else like the poster says.

If Taxi drivers are going to state that the Gardai are treating them like this atleast let them post proof, otherwise there talking bollox.

Wow! feel the hatred in this room i am not even a taxi driver and i am attacked. Oh Yeh! were not bias, but you not allowed to stand up for them. Wow! you preaching here as if anyone really gives a dam what you think. When ever a solution is brought about to this problem be it a childish one or otherwise, you writing here will have no say in the matter. At the end of the day taxis the Garda and the aithorities will come to agreement, so knock yourself spouting all that hatred.

Maybe you might find this amusing to. Three members of Waterford Garda have owned taxi plates in Waterford. One even used the address of a taxi driver friend to secure his, the second bought a licence from a driver who did not actually own the licence. The driver was actually on social welfare and tried to sell a plate he did not own. The Garda handed over the money but got not taxi licence. The third is own by a garda even now. This same Garda stoped a driver and claimed his roof sign was in tatters, then offered to sell him one. Later at the bus station rank the Garda yirned up with with the new sign. The records and address are available at the city council offices. The Garda authorites were told of this, but failed to act on it. By the way its iligal for a Garda to own a taxi licence, but even more serious to use a driver on social welfare to drive it. So its no wonder taxis and Gada clash so often.

And that has WHAT exactly to do with the carry-on of the Taxi mob? If they're that concerned then the Gardai concerned should be reported. Doesn't chagne one iota the childish and follish behaviour of these individuals.:rolleyes:

Freddie59 wrote: »
    And that has WHAT exactly to do with the carry-on of the Taxi mob? If they're that concerned then the Gardai concerned should be reported. Doesn't chagne one iota the childish and follish behaviour of these individuals.:rolleyes:

Have to agree here, surely it would make sense for Taxi driver union or whoever to report this to the relevant authority's and make sure its followed up as it affects there industry.

It certainly doesn't in anyway excuse the Taxi drivers carry on often in general and during the strike and is a very separate matter.

Have to agree here, surely it would make sense for Taxi driver union or whoever to report this to the relevant authority's and make sure its followed up as it affects there industry.

It certainly doesn't in anyway excuse the Taxi drivers carry on often in general and during the strike and is a very separate matter.

Talking of carry-on you should have seen them there today at Dunnes. Two of them tanding in the TRAFFIC LANE talking to another one in a car (too lazy to get out). Then another two backed up where there are no spaces in the rank at Michael Street (blocking traffic turning right at Patrick Street).

Another moron stopped at the stop sign (in traffic) at the lane - waiting to join the queue. They're pathetic.

The other evening i saw a piza delivery guy in a van park on the disabled space at the applemarket. It put his hazzards on as that gave him a right to park there. Now following your logic here, I should now hate all piza men and now should view them all as no good, only good for parking on disabled bay. Re-read what your writing here its the dribble of people who have more issues that Dr paisley in his day.

• Advertisement

What the pizza guy did wasn't right, but I don't see pizza guys doing it on a daily basis or see dozens of other pizza men blocking the streets in support of him.

Kahless wrote: »
    What the pizza guy did wasn't right, but I don't see pizza guys doing it on a daily basis or see dozens of other pizza men blocking the streets in support of him.

Have to agree with this, if I saw pizza delivery vans parked arse ways on a daily basis or thinking they own the road when they drive around then town then I would likely think they're all muppets, but I don't...

However myself and others do see taxi drivers acting the prat alot which leads most people to believe most of them are muppets (not all but certainly alot more then the norm)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Have to agree with this, if I saw pizza delivery vans parked arse ways on a daily basis or thinking they own the road when they drive around then town then I would likely think they're all muppets, but I don't...

However myself and others do see taxi drivers acting the prat alot which leads most people to believe most of them are muppets (not all but certainly alot more then the norm)

The problem is that if the pizza drivers were all forced to drive a car with a big yellow pizza sign on it they would be as noticable as the taxis

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

The other evening i saw a piza delivery guy in a van park on the disabled space at the applemarket. It put his hazzards on as that gave him a right to park there. Now following your logic here, I should now hate all piza men and now should view them all as no good, only good for parking on disabled bay. Re-read what your writing here its the dribble of people who have more issues that Dr paisley in his day.

stop being so petty, the taxi drivers were wrong with their strike and also did not get any support from the public regarding their blocking up the city with their protest, you coming up with sad petty little stories about how you seen a pizza delivery guy sneeze the wrong way or whatever you seen is not gonna get you any friends in the long run.
    if he really bothered you, you should have called the gardai and got him a ticket, or did you approach him and tell him he is parked illegally, or were you too frightened he might be bigger tham you and smack you one , so you had to come on here to get a pointless point across.

You seem to know somthing we dont, The Garda superiors withdrew the ticket and confirmed that the driver was on the rank agreed by Garda and city council three weeks earlier. They promised that the rank will be sutable painted in futere. Initally when superiors of the Garda confirmed he was parked on a rank. The Garda concerned said", well then I am doing him for not following the order of a Garda." Now that is childish and vindictive. But since then the Garda stated no further action will be taken and the Garda concerned will be spoken to. So I dont understand what your saying

Freddie59 wrote: »

To me it would suggest an unhealty mixing bewteen the taxi industry and the Garda, and if a garda was screwed for €6.000 by a driver, I am sure some garda just might have a vindictive streak for all taxi drivers. But his loss was to his stupidity and other taxi owners wont be walked on.

stop being so petty, the taxi drivers were wrong with their strike and also did not get any support from the public regarding their blocking up the city with their protest, you coming up with sad petty little stories about how you seen a pizza delivery guy sneeze the wrong way or whatever you seen is not gonna get you any friends in the long run.
    if he really bothered you, you should have called the gardai and got him a ticket, or did you approach him and tell him he is parked illegally, or were you too frightened he might be bigger tham you and smack you one , so you had to come on here to get a pointless point across.

You want to study yourself, now your telling me to take the law into my own hands, approach traffic offenders. He might smack me one. and who's Childish? Listen the driver no longer has a tacket. I suggest you build a bridge and get over it.

you say i am misguided, do you think i make my point of view on the back of somebody spoon feeding me information, i have my own brain and i know im being ripped off when i see it, you say that the drivers make 40% more now than before the meter's came in, do you remember before the meter came in the nightime fare was 6.50, i live just outside the city centre, .5 of a mile to be exact,6.50 for a half mile trip, now you tell me who was shafting who back then, if i got in a car for a half mile journey he would be delighted for a handy 6.50, if i got in and told him i was going to dunmore, he would refuse to take me and make me go to an office and queue, the only reason i would use a taxi is because my partner's feet may be hurting her or something like that after a night out,id rather walk than give it to em, i understand that it may be your livelyhood and you have to try protect it, but the majority of people i spoke to about it yesterday(friday) have no compassion at all for the taxi drivers.

The fare wasn't 6.50 before meters, you mean 6.50 before this new tariff came in. taxis always had meters but ware not allowed to legally use them when leaving an area controlled by waterford city council. hense a national authority took over the areas. Before meters was a long time ago. we were dealing in punts. but if your talking about before we got a national tariff or national fare structure

Actually it was €6.50 up to 3 miles or the first 11 minutes and 50 cent per extra customer, now it is €4.10 for 1 klm or first 180 seconds and €100 per extra passenger and €200 call out charge

four people in a car under old price €6.50 and €1.50 = €8.00 for 4 to go 3 miles or first 11 minutes

four people under new fare€ 4.10 and €3.00 +€200 call out charge €900 for 4 to go 1klm or first 180 seconds.

If new fare was going old distance 4 people would be charrged around €13.00.

You do the maths? if two people come from a shop, while one is bringing back the trolly, the 180 seconds is gone thats €4.
    Any way drivers have never set taxi fares, that was before city council, now the regulator.
    I think most people do a job to earn a living not to be loved. so who cares if nobody loves taxi drivers.

The prices may work out like that in theory. But a member of my family has been charged 3 different prices for the same journey on 3 evenings close to each other a few weeks ago. She wouldn't bother complaining though.

• Advertisement

The prices may work out like that in theory. But a member of my family has been charged 3 different prices for the same journey on 3 evenings close to each other a few weeks ago. She wouldn't bother complaining though.[/qute

Look if your sister feels she being ripped off and shy about saying anything about it, all she has to say is, any chance i can get a receipt, i need it for my job. that reciept can later be calculated by the department of meterology. all information is on that reciept. Taxi drivers more than anyone woul love to be rid of scum that thieve. having said that companies in waterford dont as a rule charge the call out charge, but individual drivers might. There intitled to. The regulator added it in recent fare changes, so that could make €2 in a difference to the fare straight away.

Advertisement