Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What would you choose/do

Options
  • 28-03-2008 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

Planning on replacing the 2003 Corolla in jan 2009 with a new and bigger car. I have been eagerly awaiting the new Avensis (due in 2009) and I must say it looks great.
    My other thought is the Mazda 6 and even the current Passat. I do not like the new Mondeo particulary I must say.
    I would go for 1.8 or 2 (diesel engines).
    I travel to and from work 115 km every day so is a diesel justified?

What family car out of these would you buy if you could 22 votes

Ford Mondeo
    0% 0 votes
    Mazda 6
    13% 3 votes
    Honda Accord
    31% 7 votes
    The new (2009) Toyota Avensis
    22% 5 votes
    Skoda Superb
    22% 5 votes
    Wv Passat
    9% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Nice looking car for an avensis. I would look towards the mazda 6 myself over the passat, the VW TDI engine is great but they have being known to have some issues.
    Haven't driven the mazda diesel.

Only thing about buying a brand new modal car is your ironing out the problems for the company.

So until new avensis review comes out etc my personal preference would be:

Mazda
    Toyota
    Passat

Just to say if badge aint a problem would you be interested in the skoda octavia/superb rather then a passat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

cabrwab wrote: »
    Just to say if badge aint a problem would you be interested in the skoda octavia/superb rather then a passat?

There's more to it than a badge. The Octavia is against the Jetta, not the Passat. The Superb is based on the old Passat, it might have more room in the back, but the current Passat is leagues ahead of it dynamically. If he's going to consider a Skoda, then the new Superb should be the one to go for, but residuals won't be great on that, as the current (out-going) one is chronic and will cost a fortune in depreciation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

With the new VRT rules, the price gap between petrols and diesels will be very slim indeed. Toyota will probably(hopefully) get rid of the 1.6 in the Avensis anyway for Ireland. And then you've lower road tax too, making diesel even more attractive to run, even if you only do a few thousand miles a year.

That shot of the Avensis looks a lot better than other photos of the new Avensis I've seen I must confess.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

I agree that the Avensis looks great. Apparently it is going to have a huge panoramic roof (read this I think in toyotaownersclub UK from someone involved in the development of the new car. Interesting to know that in 2010 they are planning a Diesel hybrid engine. It should be interesting.
    I like the looks of the Mazda (apparently, correct me if I am wrong: Mazda build the engines for the new Mondeo) and the boot is even bigger than the Mondeo. I've never driven one so do not know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

You just know that the Avensis is going to dissappoint. Have you considered a new C5 diesel, that would be my choice over a Passat any day of the week.
    Mazda 6 is a good choice but for me just a bit too bland inside and not refined enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I know they are the same company and everything but I think the new Avensis (well that picture anyway) is remarkably like the new Lexus IS
    If so it will be a pretty nice car, definatley up on the Mondeo and passat imo. Mazda 6 is nice also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

regedit wrote: »
    Planning on replacing the 2003 Corolla in jan 2009 with a new and bigger car. I have been eagerly awaiting the new Avensis (due in 2009) and I must say it looks great.
    My other thought is the Mazda 6 and even the current Passat. I do not like the new Mondeo particulary I must say.
    I would go for 1.8 or 2 (diesel engines).
    I travel to and from work 115 km every day so is a diesel justified?

You'll probably have to wait longer than Jan 09 for the new Avensis to be released here. Until its out you won't be able to compare properly against the competition. I also heard a rumor there will be a 1.9 diesel instead of the 2 litre. Don't know how true it is though. I agree with e92 the 1.6 petrol is dead in its present format. Tax will be going up to 600 euro on it after July

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Here are some more more pics of the new avensis

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080226.019/new-toyota-avensis-spy-photos--rendering

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080108.003/first-new-toyota-avensis-wagon-spy-photos

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080111.002/toyota-avensis-sedan-spied

.If i were the OP i would really consider the octavia or jetta.They are both almost as big as the passat and will be slightly more economical.Cost is the main reason though, especially after july on the diesel models

Biro, iam well aware of the octavia = jetta, passat = superb, was just throwing in the two cars i would automatically consider over a VW as they are the same feel (a little extra road noise is all you get!! and not alot extra).

Ok residual/depreciation is a b*tch with them but as somebody said on a previous thread a car is not an investment!
    Skodas have improved alot and so deserve to be thrown into the hat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Nice looking car for an avensis. I would look towards the mazda 6 myself over the passat, the VW TDI engine is great but they have being known to have some issues.
    Haven't driven the mazda diesel.

Only thing about buying a brand new modal car is your ironing out the problems for the company.

So until new avensis review comes out etc my personal preference would be:

Mazda
    Toyota
    Passat

The vw tdi engine is great compared with what? Its ancient and lags badly behind most of its compeditors. I had a 07 2.0tdi passat as a company car and could'nt wait to get rid of it.

• Advertisement

Well i drove a A4, octavia, and passat (04) i thought it was a good engine they all seemed the same. They had a nice bit of poke (i thought) in 2nd gear, and i felt confident over taking in all.

I must be wrong sorry.

I have to agree with you on the "they all felt the same" bit.
    And if you,ve just climbed out of something with a Massey Ferguson badge on the front they will feel like a paragon of refinement.

Never said the engine was smooth either!! Just the OP wants a diesel! All diesel engines sound like an ass rumple!

You want unrefined brillence try driving sitting in the back seat of ford sierra 2.3ltr diesel!
    the vibrations used to make me sick when my dad had that when i was younger.

What I'm saying is that the 1.9 , 20 vag units are a long way from been class leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

The Honda Accord (Salon) looks great too. How well does it drive. I would asume it is a very reliable car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Biro, iam well aware of the octavia = jetta, passat = superb, was just throwing in the two cars i would automatically consider over a VW as they are the same feel (a little extra road noise is all you get!! and not alot extra).

Ok residual/depreciation is a b*tch with them but as somebody said on a previous thread a car is not an investment!
    Skodas have improved alot and so deserve to be thrown into the hat!

You'll note from my post that the Superb and Passat are not the same feel, as the current Passat is leagues ahead of the current Superb in terms of chassis dynamics and driving feel. You drove a 04 Passat, that's different, that's a direct comparison with the Superb. Unless you're talking about the all new Superb that isn't out yet, then I'd leave it out of the equation completely. It's old hat, dull and uninspiring at this stage, and would be a fairly unwise buy.

The Accord is a good car, you should drive one. Wait for the new model if you're thinking seriously though.

Okay that is different haven't driven one, to be honest wasn't really interested in it, was just giving some advice.

Don't see how i'd of driven one, but i was more implying the next line superb as i assume its going to be like the last octavia which came on in leaps and bounds blurring the lines even further between VW and Skoda.
    But since i appear to be constantly incorrect i will get my coat!

My final opinion get a 6!

Advertisement