Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon treaty basics?

Options
  • 28-03-2008 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

i know there is a rather large thread on this but i had a quick flick through it & it mostly goes over my head.
    My main question is what is the treaty about?
    Is there anywhere that explains it in laymans terms?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

+1
    madrab wrote: »
    Hi Guys

i know there is a rather large thread on this but i had a quick flick through it & it mostly goes over my head.
    My main question is what is the treaty about?
    Is there anywhere that explains it in laymans terms?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭partholon

put simply....

no, there isnt.

so do the maths on that :D

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

This should give a reasonable starting point.

It's not that big a deal. It's a reform treaty, whose main purpose is to streamline the existing treaties so they make more sense in an enlarged Europe.

You can ignore pretty much all the hyperbole from both sides.

From the above link, this is possibly the best summary.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

A few guides:

One from Andrew Duff MEP.

The Forum on Europe Guide.

Guide from the UK European Movement.

Sinn Fein's Alternative Guide.

And last - this is one I strongly recommend. It's very brief summaries of what the changes made by each article are. It's certainly dry, and you may have to run around looking stuff up, but it's the absolutely shortest and un-spinning summary of changes I've seen.

Most of those are PDF's.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

edit: nevermind I will ask that in the other thread.

Thanks for those links btw, I will give a look through them when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

If you want two opposing guides:

FF *Government* "Yes" Website: www.reformtreaty.ie

(Sorry, for excluding 'government' earlier but this site is certainly not neutral)

Libertas "No" Website: www.libertas.org

I'd respectfully submit that the more you read on the subject, the better informed you'll be. I wouldn't confine myself to two partisan guides.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'd respectfully submit that the more you read on the subject, the better informed you'll be. I wouldn't confine myself to two partisan guides.

Also, www.reformtreaty.ie is not an FF site. It's an official Department of Foreign Affairs site.

The FF Lisbon site is www.vote4europe.ie.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I found this while stumbling, Scary scary stuff. I know which way i`m voting!!!

http://www.wiseupjournal.com/?p=173

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Galliard

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6901353.stm is a summary by the BBC.

www.bonde.com Danish MEP's site in English. A critical insider's view from the longest serving MEP in the Parliament.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    I found this while stumbling, Scary scary stuff. I know which way i`m voting!!!

http://www.wiseupjournal.com/?p=173

After talking about the surrender of terror suspects, the Danish guy was confronted by someone who said "excuse me, that's not true" or something along those lines, and he brushed him off by saying "I'm not here to have a debate". Then the camera switched away.

Another thing is that that video makes a big furore about the Laval decision (the right of a company from one EU country to set up shop in another EU country and pay their workers the rate of pay in the company's home rather than in the state in which they work), but that is already EU law, and voting yes or no to the treaty will make no difference to that.

There seems to me to be a lot of misinformation and doubtful assertions on both sides in the debate, and I think that makes the whole thing even harder to come to terms with.

Does anyone have any links to sites with specific information on the changes, without any commentary or spin being put on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I've moved Rossibaby and Scofflaw's posts debating the issues to the main thread to try and keep this thread purely for reference material on the treaty. Let's not fill this one up with countless youtube links either, eh?

<edit>MossyMonk and OscarBravo's posts moved to the other thread aswell.</edit>

After talking about the surrender of terror suspects, the Danish guy was confronted by someone who said "excuse me, that's not true" or something along those lines, and he brushed him off by saying "I'm not here to have a debate". Then the camera switched away.

Another thing is that that video makes a big furore about the Laval decision (the right of a company from one EU country to set up shop in another EU country and pay their workers the rate of pay in the company's home rather than in the state in which they work), but that is already EU law, and voting yes or no to the treaty will make no difference to that.

There seems to me to be a lot of misinformation and doubtful assertions on both sides in the debate, and I think that makes the whole thing even harder to come to terms with.

Does anyone have any links to sites with specific information on the changes, without any commentary or spin being put on them?

I can but recommend this one again - it's exactly that, just the changes, article by article, no commentary.

An example of the style:

Article 4 (3a)

"Draws on Articles 6(3), 11(2) and 33 TEU and Article10 TEC.
    Expands on existing obligation to respect national identities by requiring the EU to
    respect the equality of Member States, their governmental structures and essential State
    functions, such as law and order, and recognising that each Member State has sole
    responsibility for its national security."

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

The Institute of European Affairs in Dublin has compiled this guide showing how the various treaties already in place are amended by Lisbon.

It's dry, long, and full of legalese but 100% accurate and you get to make your own mind up.

http://www.iiea.com/publicationx.php?publication_id=33 It costs €25 for a printed version (weighs a kilo or two), but PDFs are available at that link too.

The EU are bringing out a consolidated version themselves on April 15th online, and May 9th on paper. Source.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

edanto wrote: »
    The Institute of European Affairs in Dublin has compiled this guide showing how the various treaties already in place are amended by Lisbon.

It's dry, long, and full of legalese but 100% accurate and you get to make your own mind up.

http://www.iiea.com/publicationx.php?publication_id=33 It costs €25 for a printed version (weighs a kilo or two), but PDFs are available at that link too.

The iiea are also bringing out an annotated version of the Lisbon treaty in a couple of weeks. This will let people see the actual changes that are being made to the existing treaties. It will have the existing text, with strike throughs showing what is being deleted, and coloured text showing the new wording.

They estimate it will cost €100 a copy.

Galliard wrote: »
    The iiea are also bringing out an annotated version of the Lisbon treaty in a couple of weeks. This will let people see the actual changes that are being made to the existing treaties. It will have the existing text, with strike throughs showing what is being deleted, and coloured text showing the new wording.

They estimate it will cost €100 a copy.

Hmm. Will there be a PDF copy as per the current consolidated version, which costs €25 on paper?

interested,
    Scofflaw

Yes

Galliard wrote: »
    Yes

Excellent! I look forward to it so.

thanks,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
Advertisement