Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

240 KMH Vid on Youtube

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Kind of hard to see the REG. Also, someone would need to actually report it, the cops don't spend all day waiting on youtube for idiots to post incriminating videos(I hope). The guy could also deny it was him driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

astraboy wrote: »
    Yawn. When we made those comments the words "common sense" were used, and the comments were directed at dual carriageways and motorways where the risk of head on collisions with vehicles travelling the other way are slim to none. 155 mph on a wet 2 lane road is stupid, and also dangerous driving so speed limits don't even need to come into it, yet you drag the debate down to your level.

As for the traffic corps comment:

He pointed out that the traffic corps had increased its activity in the Barnesmore Gap, which is a stretch of road that has a history of being used by racers, and that hundreds of motorists were being caught for speeding there.

I wonder how many of these people caught were slightly over the limit? Bet its a nice straight road too if it was used for illegal racing, meaning the traffic corps was doing what it does best, shooting fish in a barrel during daylight hours. :rolleyes:

I agree 100% with this. Travelling at 240 km/h in unsuitable conditions is obviously not using common sense. I see no issue with 240 on an empty motorway though, but clearly if there was some traffic or it was on a even a good single carriageway then that is dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

E92 wrote: »
    I agree 100% with this. Travelling at 240 km/h in unsuitable conditions is obviously not using common sense. I see no issue with 240 on an empty motorway though, but clearly if there was some traffic or it was on a even a good single carriageway then that is dangerous.

Yea, I agree, this case is by no means suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

The original video should be available for viewing here (and - with any luck - for download in a QuickTime- and iPod-friendly .mp4 format).

(Apologies for the duplicate post, but it seems relevant here and in the Donegal thread.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

In fairness that road is actually very good for a single carriageway.

It would have been very dangerous of course if the driver had to overtake.

I saw the speedo and it looked like if it was a JDM car he was onbly doing 110 or so.

If it was an Irish spec mph car then it looked like it was around 90 mph(~
    145 km/h) which is a lot slower than 240 km/h obviously.

That wasn't that bad. The speedo didn't slow anything like 240 km/h anyway.

Unless of course they actually said on the video that they were doing 240, I don't know because the computer I'm on has no speakers! I'll check it when I get home later!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Sandwich wrote: »
    You'll come in for a lot of criticism if you make comments about what is or isnt a safe speed for other people to drive at. Current thinking by many is that you, and you alone, should be able to decide what is a safe speed. If you keep at or below that, then you should not be penalised or criticised for doing it.

I guess you never make mistakes? Only the other eejits on the road :rolleyes:
    Even if you have papal infallability you still can meet your end when someone else makes a mistake, or simply does something unexpected, never mind a failure on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

E92 wrote: »
    I saw the speedo and it looked like if it was a JDM car he was onbly doing 110 or so.

If it was an Irish spec mph car then it looked like it was around 90 mph(~
    145 km/h) which is a lot slower than 240 km/h obviously.
    I watched the video very briefly too, and fast forwarded through much of it, but purely subjectively, and speaking as someone who has driven (legally) at those kinds of speeds many times, I have to say that I too have my doubts. It just didn't look as fast as they were claiming it to be to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

I didnt see "two hands off the steering wheel" ?

Youtube version

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It's irrelevant where his hands were. The guy is a moron and should never drive again. There is no defence for this idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

Course its relevant.

wasent it stated in the independent "the excited driver momentarily removes his hands" where there is no footage of that, so how could they know? id also like to know how they know the driver was excited..... usuall crap printed by papers/Anita Guidera

• Advertisement

For all the holy marys saying the guy should never drive again etc, he did'nt kill anyone, or even hurt anyone. Yes, he put himself into a position where there was a higher possibility of injuries or death in the event of a crash, and while his actions were foolish, there are far worse crimes going unpunished or even having the criminals let off easily. This was a case of a young guy being a foolish young guy and pushing his subaru too fast for the road. Yet he has'nt hurt anyone. Granted this is the sort of behavior that will likely make this guy top story on the RTE news some Saturday after he drives into a tree in Donegal Friday night, but the hang em and flog em brigade are a bit OTT in this case.

He broke(ok SMASHED) the speedlimit but the newspaper exegratted the speed and how dangerous his actions were. To be honest anything up to 100 mph on a good road(read, motorway) is not that fast in a well equipped car. The road in question was wet and a 2 lane road so not suitable for the speed IMO however.

I'm not a 'holy mary'. I do think he's an idiot and very lucky nothing happened.

Sherifu wrote: »
    I'm not a 'holy mary'. I do think he's an idiot and very lucky nothing happened.

Accidents can happen at any speed. Saying the guy should never drive again is a over the top and I'm sticking by that statement.
    I'm not saying he should go unpunished, but as usual a case of a young fella being a young fella has been blown up to high heaven by the media. You'd swear he was murdering nuns in the video the way some people go on.

There is a time and a place for testing the top speed of your car and that was not it I'll agree 100%.

The place is a race track where he's the only one who's putting his life at risk.

The place is a race track where he's the only one who's putting his life at risk.

Even if he did it on a deserted motorway it would'nt be so bad. There was a good few oncoming cars in the vid so the road was not deserted. Love the way the media blow it far out of proportion however, without a sane debate on speed limits and road safety in this country, road safety is going to go nowhere.

One other issue. In the UK the availability of track days where you can bring your car and drive it as fast as you like in a controlled environment, are widespread. We only really have Mondello and the number of trackdays is very small and they are expensive too. Maybe more of these events would benefit everyone, if only to let people see what the limits of their own driving and car are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

..and in a similar vain, 380km/hr on public roads. At night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uaSUcUhMLI&feature=related

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Sandwich wrote: »
    You'll come in for a lot of criticism if you make comments about what is or isnt a safe speed for other people to drive at. Current thinking by many is that you, and you alone, should be able to decide what is a safe speed. If you keep at or below that, then you should not be penalised or criticised for doing it.

I don't see anyone even coming close to criticizing me, bar you. Whose current thinking exactly? Because I haven't heard the RSA, gardai, politicians, judicial services, or people in general making this claim. Just you and your mates in the pub? In germany on a autobahn, with no oncoming traffic and no junctions, in good weather, with a good driver and a well serviced car, then yes, this speed would be acceptable. On a dreary wet day with an inexperienced driver on a road with people passing a few feet away in the other direction is reckless, pure and simple. There aren't any roads in Ireland designed for that speed.

MarkR wrote: »
    I don't see anyone even coming close to criticizing me, bar you. Whose current thinking exactly? Because I haven't heard the RSA, gardai, politicians, judicial services, or people in general making this claim. Just you and your mates in the pub? In germany on a autobahn, with no oncoming traffic and no junctions, in good weather, with a good driver and a well serviced car, then yes, this speed would be acceptable. On a dreary wet day with an inexperienced driver on a road with people passing a few feet away in the other direction is reckless, pure and simple. There aren't any roads in Ireland designed for that speed.

Guys being a clown, ignore him. Hes always trying to rally up those of us on this forum that believe most speed limits do little for road safety. We have presented him with arguments grounded in reality and based on hard facts, yet he cannot bear to see his precious speed limits criticized or the law itself questioned.

Guys being a clown, ignore him.
    Indeed, I didn't find his post worthy of a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Indeed, I didn't find his post worthy of a response.

X2^ people should not dignify his BS with a response. he might go away when he realises that he cant get a rise out of anyone :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

MarkR wrote: »
    Whose current thinking exactly? .
    That would be the 'silent majority' of 'advanced motorists' who think they can break any law that does not conform to their notion of 'common sense' (aka selfish interests) and who consider slower, more cautious drivers to be incompetent & want elderly and disabled drivers put off the road, or at least forced onto the hard shoulder.

The story on the YouTube video is an embarrassment to the 'responsible speeder' lobby here and they're desperately trying to media manage the response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Meh .. not all that fast, I often do 200-220 kph and my car isnt anything even close to sporty.

Speeding (i.e. breaking the designated speed limit) and driving safely are two different things.

craichoe wrote: »
    Meh .. not all that fast, I often do 200-220 kph and my car isnt anything even close to sporty.

Speeding (i.e. breaking the designated speed limit) and driving safely are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I wonder how many of these people caught were slightly over the limit? Bet its a nice straight road too if it was used for illegal racing, meaning the traffic corps was doing what it does best, shooting fish in a barrel during daylight hours. :rolleyes:

its straight-ish you actually struggle to see to overtake on a few sections of it, although its wide enough not to have an accident. this road has several junctions on it as well if someone pulled out there could have been carnage. it also has a number of houses on it as well.
    basically the visibility isnt as good as you might think esp. at that speed
    and to answer your question the speed traps are usually there at 8-9 in the morning or 3 in the afternoon although i have seen one at 10:30am on a sunday morning, you rarely see one early in the morning or late at night - i'd say he drove it to check beforehand anyway.
    anyway the guys a muppet - watch the end of the video when he hits the end of the new road and see how much trouble he has controlling the car. i guy in a scooby was killed near ballybofey only a few months ago.
    my2c worth anyway as someone who uses the road its bad enough withoout people like that on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Jesus you're class. +2 inches to your e-penis. Well done.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Jesus you're class. +2 inches to your e-penis. Well done.

Doubt it .. theres people that drive far faster than me on the roads. Bimmer passed me out the other day, he must have been doing around 250 - 300 kph, passed me like i was standing still.

200kph is perfectly acceptable.

This would be close enough to my normal route:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=den+haag+to+dusseldorf&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=48.555061,82.265625&ie=UTF8&t=p&z=9

Parts of the M50 are in better condition than parts of the Autobahn

200kph is perfectly acceptable.
    Considering Irish drivers only have to pass a basic driving test to drive i'm inclined to disagree with your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

You do in your hole

Considering Irish drivers only have to pass a basic driving test to drive i'm inclined to disagree with your opinion.

I dont get what you mean ... im saying 240kph isnt that fast .. if your used to it its fine. My only reason against it would be fuel consumption, at that speed your fuel usages doubles.

• Advertisement

I dont get what you mean ... im saying 240kph isnt that fast .. if your used to it its fine. My only reason against it would be fuel consumption, at that speed your fuel usages doubles.
    You have a lot less time to react at those speeds. Given Irish raods and driver competence we'd see a lot more dead than we do now.
    Clear enough?

Advertisement